Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Portugal & Croatia!

• 06-10-2004 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

The FAI has confirmed that Croatia and Portugal will visit Lansdowne Road for friendly internationals against the Republic of Ireland in the coming months.

Croatia will face the Republic on November 16, while Euro 2004 runners-up Portugal provide the opposition on February 9 next year.

FAI chief executive officer Fran Rooney said: "The friendlies announced today will provide a good challenge for the team in our preparations for the key World Cup qualifiers next year.

"In addition the games are also part of our ongoing plans to attract quality opposition to Dublin to entertain the fans as well as generating revenues to re-invest in the game at all levels.

"The games come during the gap between World Cup qualifying matches, and should serve as good preparation for the trip to Israel on March 26."

Filed by James Boylan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While these will no doubt be two good tests. I feel the FAI should try and arrange more away friendlies against decent sides. We pretty much only play home friendlies (bar a few exceptions) and I dont think we will ever really improve our away form against the top teams unless the FAI moves away from always booking these money spinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Ireland needs more matches away from home to develop the team but also needs the money from home games. Maybe they could think about sending a team abroad without the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

While these will no doubt be two good tests. I feel the FAI should try and arrange more away friendlies against decent sides. We pretty much only play home friendlies (bar a few exceptions) and I dont think we will ever really improve our away form against the top teams unless the FAI moves away from always booking these money spinners.

I think the problem with playing away friendlies is two fold.

1. It's harder to get players released from their clubs.

and

2. Less money for the FAI.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We definitely need more away friendlies. I hope Kerr isn't afraid to field the likes of Elliott (who has more goals than every striker in the squad put together) against Portugal as he usually puts out his best team in the bigger friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Maybe it's just me but we seem to have played Croatia a lot in the last six years or so. I would love to get the Italians over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Shamrok wrote:
    Maybe it's just me but we seem to have played Croatia a lot in the last six years or so. I would love to get the Italians over.

No I think it's just you. We've only played Croatia 3 times in the last 6 years and 2 games were qualfiers.

If familiarity breeds contempt then Russia won't be too popular. They've play 4 times at Lansdowne in the past decade (more than anyone else I think?).

As to the idea of Ireland playing away games ... it might be good for experience but it's definetly bad business. Ireland are a unusual National side in that they can easily sell out home friendlies but at the same time (let's face it) aren't exactly a big attraction with regards to playing away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Pigman II wrote:
    If familiarity breeds contempt then Russia won't be too popular. They've play 4 times at Lansdowne in the past decade (more than anyone else I think?).QUOTE]

It used to be Poland. Almost an annual fixture at one stage.

Advertisement