Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzwilliam Business League - Boards.ie Team

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Chirp! Chirp!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We ended up just 3 points behind ye :(

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I like that idea!!! Do yese wanna double or quits on the 20 you owe us then?

Please link to that €20 bet - I have memory problems

Hyzepher

Page 3 of this very thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Hyzepher wrote:
    Ohhh - we so have to have a Suited Aces Vs Boards.ie tournie. Just to settle this once and for all.

Or are ye chicken?

Hyzepher

Sign me up for that one :D

Oh I see it now - looks like Dev was taking the action ;) Don't see any other willing participants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ROBBO7

kencleary wrote:
    *lol* So what were the final placings?

TECHSKILLS 273
    BOI BIAM 265
    EAGLE STAR RIVERBOYS 263
    UPAK ??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congratulations to the top three..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I certainly took the bet and will stand by it. Round of pints on me next time the Boards team is together or shall I just give Ken a score? Never let it be said I dont pay my bets :)

DeV

• Advertisement

I suggest a duel - pistols at dawn!

But seriously the bet thing was more about bragging rights than anything else, so i'm going to go ahead and say neh-neh you guys suck etc etc.

I think the battle between the two teams is a good idea though - more bragging rights for us! The only problem might be getting the people together. If 10/14 of us are along on Sunday what about holding it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Hyzepher wrote:
    Ohhh - we so have to have a Suited Aces Vs Boards.ie tournie. Just to settle this once and for all.

Or are ye chicken?

Hyzepher

Well to my mind we have already settled this once Chris, but if you are up for another embarrassing humiliation .....

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I reckon we get it on! 7 a side, double or quits! We arrange a time and place (Fitz naturally) with which all are happy. Would be good craic.

The problem is how do you pit two teams against each other? Heads up, imho, is a very poor test of skill in poker. One table of 5 each will lead to tag team poker and chip dumping.

The only honest way I can think of is to play the 100 or 50/50 game for a number of weeks in a row, plotting the results of team members and giving an over all score.

In fact, it should be based on cash-winnings only, because, as Marq succinctly pointed out last night, poker is about winning cash. (Hanging in there for a higher placing rather then playing for the highest money is a ghey approach.)

The new Fitzwilliam League is looking interesting too! I like the way they are doing it though getting points for just entering (while sensible from the clubs pov) somewhat waters down the points for winning! It will be hard to tell who are the winners and who just *live* in the Fitz (like I do!).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

As the dust settled in the fitz and the weary combatants peered into the gloom that had descended around them a deathly hush descended on the gathered crowd. Team Suited Aces was down on it's knees issuing a silent plea to whatever god would listen, to no avail. The former champions had been well and truly battered over 8 weeks of cunning and sometimes deeply hidden strategy and luck. Who'd of thought that one of the opposition had been religiously counting cards and realised that calling All-In with 23o was going to yield two pair and beat those pocket Aces. A source said
    We are a victim of our own ability - hard to play against 8 novice players who will call your pre-flop raise when you are holding AA - only to be outdrawn by 23o making 2 pair

In a scene that could have been plucked straight from a piece of fiction, not only did the lauded former champions not win, they failed to finish in the top 5, having to settle for mid-table annonymity. So where did it all go wrong? Perhaps pride was the failing, a belief that they were simply better than anyone else, and that the fickle hand of luck wouldn't touch them or at least not for long enough to make a difference
    We'll catch them in the end, luck can only take you so far
    was one of the quotes attributed to former champions, while another was heard mumbling into a pint in Larry Murphys later on
    feckin begineers, call with anything and don't even know what they have" "K2o my a$$, I'm never playing cards again

The Boards.ie team were strangely muted in their victory over their arch-rivals, simply stating that
    they didn't think it was fair to kick someone while they were down, but it was perfectly acceptable to laugh as they were falling
    ..rumours of a soup and pizza fight in the bar afterwards have been hotly denied by both camps.

So far Suited Aces have declined to comment on the link between them winning the business league when they were begineers last year and that the calls they made then were suspiciously like the ones they were complaining about now...

More to follow as we have it..

on side note I've no real interest in a rematch, I'd prefer a challenge

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

DeVore wrote:

The new Fitzwilliam League is looking interesting too! I like the way they are doing it though getting points for just entering (while sensible from the clubs pov) somewhat waters down the points for winning! It will be hard to tell who are the winners and who just *live* in the Fitz (like I do!).

DeV.

I was reading about the new League on Saturday when I was in,some good stuff up for grabs like a trip to the UK...good luck to you guys who are never out of the club you should be in with a good shout of picking up something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Well done the Tech Skillzzz.

They gave me a slug of cider from their cup last night. Sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

....send your CV to Cardplayer right now. Class shines through................. :)

Breaking Lunchtime News...

The Scoop can reveal that the fallout from the business league has already claimed it's first victim with a reliable source informing us that a member of Suited Aces has been dropped from the team for the next competition...speculation is rife as to whom the bell tolls for, although unconfirmed reports place 4 suited aces members in deep discussion late into the night..

Bookmakers were reacting early this morning and after a flood of large wagers have closed the betting pending further information. Nobody is sure who faces the axe, but all are agreed that following the poor showing in the buisness league change was inevitable.

With Tom "DeVore" Murphy almost a certainty to step down from the captaincy, some are saying that his position within the team has become untenable, his interest has wavered and he's chasing the dollar

A team member, who shall remain nameless said
    I don't know, maybe it's time for some new blood to shake things up a bit, we need a new direction, and more commitment

Indeed over recent weeks, the media and spectators alike have been agog as Suited Aces slowly pressed the self-destruct button. In-fighting, lack of commitment and communication all playing their part in the ultimate demise, Chris "Nutcracker" Griffin is believed to be attempting a management buyout of the team and is determined that he won't make the same mistakes as his predecessor.
    The previous strategy was far too loose if you ask me, I mean seriously who plays KK when faced with a big raise pre-flop. Aces or bust I say, Aces or bust

His sentiments are sure to find favour with at least one team member Brian "Muso" who is known to favour an ultra tight approach himself, although what Luke "loose boy" Brady is likely to make of it all is anybodys guess.

One things for sure, having requested, even demanded a rematch with the Boards.ie team, Suited Aces cannot afford to fail again. When pressed for a comment Boards captain Ken "Kings" Cleary had the following to say
    There are many who would say that suited aces are past it and that the leadership is faltering, but I for one believe that they should be left exactly as are...at least until after the rematch

However he refused to comment as to why he was laughing so hard at the thought of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Well yes - congrats to techskillz on their win. (fcuking b@stards!!)

A bit of a sickener to finish 3rd, as we were first for the first five weeks, then down to 2nd for the last 2, and finally slipping into 3rd place last night. Still - it was the cheapest game of poker I ever played, and its a good buzz to get something at the end of it. Pipped to the post by a girl in the individual thingy aswell. Well played by her (Velda? - the crossword lady) I suppose, and at least I finished above all you losers!!!:D

I was down to my last 150chips at one stage last night, with a good few players left. I lost the 100 on the big blind, but won the next hand with my small blind of 50 when my K5 made trips - hitting a 5 on the turn and another on the river! After this I made a storming comeback getting pocket jacks, pocket tens and pocket aces in the space of about 5 hands.

The trip fives thing happened again in the exact same way the next time I went all in. Managed to make it to 3rd, which just wasnt good enough.

Go Iago - rub those suited aces toffy-noses in their own failure!

Whats the crack with the new league? Didnt really look at the notice board last night.

anyway - its been good fellers - the cards, the posts, the banter - hope to see ye down the fitz someday soon.

Peace

Ah, Evil Bilbo, good to finally put a face to a name. I remember that one where you went from 50 back up! I was the guy in seat 6. Had a chip lead, flop of Ac10c6c, guy in seat one all in, i call straight away with 8c9c. He shows Kc10d, and turns the club, leaving me with just 300, blinds of 1-2, i went all in utg next hand w/o looking. Ah, a good old 1 in 5 shot eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

That was a serious bad beat alright - you were miles ahead! Ah - its a funny old game. I'm sure I'll see you in the fitz someday soon.

I was fairly well ahead alright, but it wasn't a massively atrocious beat. It was surprising he put all his chips in on the flop - with middle pair and a nut flush draw, but to be honest I had watched his play all night and liked it. He was tight and selectively aggressive. It worked out for him there. Would have been so much easier for me to get away from had he not put all in on flop - if that 4th card had come and I still had chips it would have been an easy fold for me. In saying that I couldn't get away from it - I was miles ahead, and would make the same call again and again. That's poker! The funny thing was it giving me the up and down str8 flush draw - now that would have been good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgieM

when is this back in action?

Advertisement