Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzwilliam Business League - Boards.ie Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How many teams altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Does anyone know any of the players? I think they played in the last one also but I can't remember anyone specifically. I know it is only a week in but are these guys a factor or was last night simply not representative of how things will hopefully go from here?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

There were 8 tables last night most seemed to have 11 players although some only had 10 so there are a fair few teams in it.

In general terms the standard of play was pretty poor based on what happened at my table and from others recollections. Not sure if Eagle star were on my table but they might have been, there was a woman who probably won it and she may have been Eagle Star ( i seem to remember her saying she was) they had two teams entered anyway...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well there were about 50+ points on offer for each team - if all team members came 1st on their table. So generally Eagle Star played average to get 40 - I know SA can play better and I'm sure the Boards.ie can also.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Yeah it was a pretty strange game I had to say. I didn't see one raise for the time I was on the table (admittedly not that long ;) ) In that space of time 2 players showed down pocket Kings, neither of them had raised preflop. I myself was taken out by K6 off - had K10s. So I think definitely both teams could play better, other than a couple - I know Davey_Devil and Hyzepher both won their tables, but the rest of us, particularly me and DeV could do better.

Have to say strangest game of poker I've ever played! Hope to god the next time I play I've an SA guy who I know on my table because there was literally no banter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

eagle star came 1st and 2nd on my table and they werent all that good, decent for business league stndard i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

There was an Eagle Star guy on myself and Lafortezzas table too. Seemed an alright player but beware he mentioned that they lurk on boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

was it Eagle Star General Insurance from Ballsbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

kencleary wrote:
    There was an Eagle Star guy on myself and Lafortezzas table too. Seemed an alright player but beware he mentioned that they lurk on boards :)
    Beat them up I said!

DapperGent wrote:
    Beat them up I said!

That's the thing I admire most about you Dapper, your sublety. That quiet dignified way you go about things...

• Advertisement

A lot of people say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Iago wrote:
    That's the thing I admire most about you Dapper, your sublety. That quiet dignified way you go about things...
    He was being subtle, normally he would have demanded that they be cock punched.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

I'm the guy on KenCleary's table from eagle star. Its the first business league I've played in (same for the whole team)

Ended up comin first (got heads up against luke from suited aces) - I havent been on boards in a very very long time - got stung for excessive internet use a few times (had to check out the goss today though). The guy who said he lurks on boards - dunno who he was.

There's another team from eagle star that didnt go too well. My team (dont really know them all very well) did very well - I came 1st, so did another guy, and another guy came 2nd. The other 2 made up the rest o them points.

Dunno who that bird was that won - she's not on our team. Some guy from our table was on her team (he came 3rd), and he couldnt beleive she was doing so well.

Enjoyable game really. Frankly I thought you boards and suited aces fellas would be a force to be reckoned with. Its pretty neck in neck at the top though.

See ye next week fellers.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm with Dapper on the "lets beat them up and take their lunch money" side of things.

Ironically I was quite pleased with how I played despite only contributing 4 points. I walked away from a serious kicking when one lady runner runnered a straight. Thank god she bet it heavy or it could have been curtains there and then.
    I got few good hands and tried to steal the blinds on the button finding not only AT but also Jacks in the small and big blind ... thankfully it was a small enough raise that I could get away from it too. However given that you start with only 1000 in chips, two near misses like that leave you screwed and it was a case of hanging on as long as my chips allowed then...
    On the plus side I walked away from the cash game 150 notes up! (which was nice).

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The thing about the Business league is that you need consistent results every week to score well over all, last year I think it was week 6 before we won a single table and in total I think we only won two maybe three over the course of the league!

Well done to Eagle Star but you are only a point ahead and theres plenty of play left :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I wouldn't worry about the leader board at this early stage. I'm sure we will have consistancy throughout the 8 weeks whilst the other teams will be up and down like yo-yo's.

Great night for me last night too. Went around to the Merrion after and won the freeroll bagging a ticket for the €200 freezeout. :D

Edit: Just saw your post Tom, great minds eh?

Yeah you seemed to be on a roll alright, maybe the two of us are coming out of our respective slumps (finally!). I'm *up* 750 + a ticket in the last 48 hours. Its makes it hard to come into work and slog away for a week for less then that :)

DeV.

3,500 with 22 :(

You used to make calls like that! :p

DeV.

I still do but when I do it it's inspired play, when it's done against me it's a bad beat! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Well done to Eagle Star but you are only a point ahead and theres plenty of play left

Yeah - seven weeks is a long time - taking this opportunity to bask in the glory. Might be the last one I get!

Looking forward to next monday already (never thought I'd ever say that). :D

Yeah, when we ran away with it last time it kinda got boring towards the end. Better to have it nice and close and a bit of rivalry going on!

It wrecked my head though, one guy called all the way and then turned over K8o on a QT742 raninbow board. Noone knew what to say so noone said anything!
    The mixture of some good players and some terrible ones (that might still have hit something monster) was like walking around a dark room littered with syringes!

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Yeah, when we ran away with it last time it kinda got boring towards the end.
    Oh you just had to get that in there now didn't you? ;)
    DeVore wrote:
    It wrecked my head though, one guy called all the way and then turned over K8o on a QT742 raninbow board. Noone knew what to say so noone said anything!
    The mixture of some good players and some terrible ones (that might still have hit something monster) was like walking around a dark room littered with syringes!

DeV.
    I know what you mean, I was the same - as I said earlier no pre-flop raising. Was weird. But then DeV, would either of us have disliked it as much if we hadn't been first gimpers out off our teams? I think not.

Speak for yourself gimp boy, I got double your points :p:p

DeV's Report Card reads:
    "C- : Must Try Harder!"

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Speak for yourself gimp boy, I got double your points :p:p

DeV's Report Card reads:
    "C- : Must Try Harder!"

DeV.
    Ah, but I'm only a relative newcomer, and I heard a rumour (God knows where!!) that you were on the winning team last year! So surely you've some sort of reputation to upkeep...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

DapperGent wrote:
    Who the fúck are Eagle Star?

Lets beat them up.

If you want beat us up them said it to our faces and not through a messageboard and we will glady give you the chance to do it but you will fail.

So you will know where to find us if you want to take it further

Behind the bike sheds at lunch time so.

LOL....

I say we give them really nasty paper cuts with our cards and say it was an accident.
    "Oops.... sorry!" "ARRRGH! My eyes, my eyes"

Anyway, my dads bigger then your dad.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

DapperGent wrote:
    Behind the bike sheds at lunch time so.

So how about next Monday night??

Around 9.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

brilliant... ! get it onnnn!

Advertisement