Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Stupid Thing You Have Done.....?

• 06-10-2004 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

So, i go to the ATM in Marks & Spencers, key in my details, ask to take €100 out, put my card back in my wallet and walk away. 10 minutes later realise that i forgot the money.

Lucky enough for me, the money must have gone back into the ATM in time before someone else spotted it as the money went back into my account a few days later. However, i think that has been one of the most incredibly stupid things that i have done.

So, whats the most stupid thing you have done? Lets try not to mention any highly expensive milk cans here please ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Joined Boardsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eefs

Took my new phone out on the bus and told some sumbag woman what type of phone it was. Put it back into my pocket and chatted away to my mate. 2 minutes later, I go for my phone...and it's gone. Was still on the bus, so I rang it and heard it. But I didn't go up to scumbag woman's male friend (she'd already fecked off the bus) who I presume had it. I though he'd stab me with a syringe. So I told the bus driver, held the bus up for 15 minutes and got everyone very pissed off at me.

The 50 is not a safe bus. Full of robbing summers and idiots who practially give them their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

coming into work today was the stupidest thing I have ever done, the three bosses are out and i could be sitting playing video games at home right now, Instead I have to resort to boards to get my kicks.

*cough*

*collapse*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bothered my ass coming into college this morning! Fell asleep in my 9am lecture, and I'm free until 4 now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This is my most recent stupid thingy anyway. Went to buy a shoulder of vodka , the guy ebhidn the counter says 5.99 please. I was chuffed at this price and remarked " ah deadly , very low price " as I was handing him the money. He thought to himself for a second " err yeah it is actually , let me check that. " He went into the back room and came back to me. " yeah thats actually 12.99 please "

FUKKERS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

To cut a long story short, when in first year in college i refused to have intercourse with probably the most incredible looking female i am ever going to get that particular opportunity with, because i would rather occupy the high moral ground.

Stupid Stupid Stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

impr0v wrote:
    To cut a long story short, when in first year in college i refused to have intercourse with probably the most incredible looking female i am ever going to get that particular opportunity with, because i would rather occupy the high moral ground.

Stupid Stupid Stupid.

I came so close to -rep for that... :D

Stupid deeds? Too many to mention...probably the night I was in my mate's sisters place and got onto the roof of their apartment block while p*ssed drunk. T'was a long drop down if I hadn't been dragged back in... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

I was looking at a computer package for sale in Dunnes stores in the mill clondalkin recently. then walked over to atm took money put and went to check my phone which was in jacket pocket and it was gone, somebody had walked v.close to me so went charging over to security to report it stolen and generally give out about the scum that I thought inhabited the mill s.c. went back an hour later and security had reviewed footage, seen me leave mobile on top of computer display and walk away.

they then went to display where my fone was still sitting. so came to this conclusion

1) am very stupid
    2) am very badminded
    3) my fone is a heap of crap that nobody would bother to pick up when seeing it unattended

that was a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

impr0v wrote:

Stupid Stupid Stupid.

Why? Was she passed out or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

adjodlo wrote:

Dude, she was "resting her eyes"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

mbroaders wrote:
    So, i go to the ATM in Marks & Spencers, key in my details, ask to take €100 out, put my card back in my wallet and walk away. 10 minutes later realise that i forgot the money.

Lucky enough for me, the money must have gone back into the ATM in time before someone else spotted it as the money went back into my account a few days later. However, i think that has been one of the most incredibly stupid things that i have done.

So, whats the most stupid thing you have done? Lets try not to mention any highly expensive milk cans here please ;)

Ditto :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Joined Boardsie.

Beat me to it, you bastard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

played chicken with my friends car and didn't jump out of the way, instead jumped headfirst onto the oncoming vehicle and near shattered the winndscreen. I was very...very drunk.

I don't know how I didn't die..

maybe it was the hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 flygirl

mbroaders wrote:

oh god, this happened to me too. except someone got to the cash before the atm had a chance to take it back. when i rang the bank to see if it had been put back in my account they just laughed at me.
    i think it's because those new atms in shops, pubs etc. give you back your card before they give you the cash, which is different from what we're used to with normal atms - ie cash first, then card.
    That's what i tell myself anyway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

adjodlo wrote:

Nah, that would make it a lot easier to forget about, but we had been at this party together earlier and I thought she had kissed this guy. She probably had, but i had a girlfriend at the time, and she had a boyfriend, so I owed her nothing (and had no entitlement to the high moral ground anyway). So to punish her for her possible bad behaviour, i refused to have sex with her. She stripped off, lay on the bed and told me exactly what she wanted, and I went home, to teach her a lesson.

/me kicks myself for thousandth time. stupid stupid stupid...

I met some of her friends a week or two later and there was a new girl with them, when they introduced me to the new friend she said 'oh you're the guy' and started sniggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

i once returned my 'broken' TV and video combo the shop in the OMNI.. it turned out that the batteries in the remote control were wasted.. the guy on the phone was laughing pretty hard when he rang me to tell me to collect it... not my finest hour...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Experiment with making various types of firework...without paying attention to how much of each substance I was adding to the mixture. Nearly lost the eyebrows on more than one occasion...

embee wrote:
    Beat me to it, you bastard.
    Wasn't it the most hilarious thing you ever read in your life!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Fysh wrote:
    Experiment with making various types of firework...without paying attention to how much of each substance I was adding to the mixture. Nearly lost the eyebrows on more than one occasion...

Ah that reminds me of a stupid moment.

Went around the day after Halloween collecting all the spent bangers and rockets, then emptied out the unused gunpowder in all of them into a nice big pile. Trying to light it and it was too windy, so I put my coat over my head like a little tent over the gunpowder, lit it and blew my face up. I looked exactly like they do in comedy films or cartoons.

Also, lighting a smoke off a gas cooker. Forgetting I had long hair! :o

used to work in an off-licence... some moments of genius included charging an old man for 2354 cans of Carlsberg... another was leaving the till on 'void' for hte whole day which meant that, according to the computer at the end of the day, were had about twice as much stock as when we'd opened that morning... they took away my key for the till :(

• Advertisement

... once while cycling through Raheny i got distracted by a sexy blonde on the other side of the road.. smashed head-first into a really big rock... very embarassing..

We get it, your an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I remember as a kid deciding to ride my bike along a wall and jump off the end, resulting in landing on the front wheel and getting shunted into the crossbar before being carted off to hospital.......seemed like a good idea at the time...

Or going on holidays with my mates and hiring a car to go from the northernmost point of the island to the souternmost part the night before we were due to go home and then getting so drunk that I passed out in some apartment and woke up two hours before I was due in the airport. Needless to say the car was long gone and I had to get a taxi back ot my own resort at a cost of €150....

last but not least getting involved in a drinking competition with a couple of english lads that required us to drink a single glass with 3 golshlagers (sp?) and 3 jagermeisters after drinking jd al night! Then to compound the stupidity, I drank my mates glass as well because he couldn't face it..next morning I woke up on the stairway of my apartment block at 7.30, minus my wallet and mobile phone.....still made it into work for 9.30 though!

Have vastly reduced my drinking since those days ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Also, lighting a smoke off a gas cooker. Forgetting I had long hair! :o

I'd like to add to my list, handing seraphina a lighter and being *surprised* she tried to light me on fire at a boards beer.

originially posted by Jimeatsmenu:
    we get it, your and idiot.

ME?!?

winters and i were in this club in howth last weekend and jim here rings us up at half 2 or something:

Jim: [pissed and shouting] "EH, LADS... I THINK I MADE A MISTAKE"
    Winters: "whats wrong?"
    Jim: "I GOT THE WRONG NIGHTLINK... I MEAN I MEANT TO GO TO SANTRY BUT I GOT THE ONE TO BALDOYLE INSTEAD... BY ACCIDENT... CAN I STAY AT YOURS TONIGHT?"

later he admitted his plans to sleep on a public bench before he'd thought to ring us up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

banquo wrote:
    ME?!?

winters and i were in this club in howth last weekend and jim here rings us up at half 2 or something:

Jim: [pissed and shouting] "EH, LADS... I THINK I MADE A MISTAKE"
    Winters: "whats wrong?"
    Jim: "I GOT THE WRONG NIGHTLINK... I MEAN I MEANT TO GO TO SANTRY BUT I GOT THE ONE TO BALDOYLE INSTEAD... BY ACCIDENT... CAN I STAY AT YOURS TONIGHT?"

later he admitted his plans to sleep on a public bench before he'd thought to ring us up.

LMAO class.

Mine turned down a 3some twice :(

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    LMAO class.

Mine turned down a 3some twice :(

kdjac
    Everyone focus on Kdjac.

Meh, third time lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

I made a banger of my own with those strips of red caps that pop when you scratch them. It was nearly as big as a tennis ball when I decided to use it and so I put it in my pocket and started off to my friends house. I'ld gone about fifty yards when it blew up in my pocket. Scared the bejesus out of me but I got away with a big bruise a lot of small cuts and shredded trousers. :o

edit/ Jsut remembered another incident that would fit in this catagory back when I was in first year in secondary school. I was at home at the time and looking for something to do. So I started playing with a blender (small hand held one). I was blowing into it to make the sound you get when you blow into a fan and I chopped up my lower lip ( which amazingly didn't hurt at all! ) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Cycling down a road, look back to see a beutiful brunette, veered towards this wall+gate ands crashed into it, so annoying cos was happening so slowly(not slow motion, just could see wall coming but didnt turn .. hmph.

Stupid things as kids as well, such as flying down a steep hill while puttin both feet on the crossbar etc.

More recently (bout a week ago) I walked into that fountain thing outside the Redbox(Opp building) when i was with a girl. Put one foot in and said "ahhhh crap im soaked" thought I seen a path further in so made a galliant leap and SPLASH.. "F*CK BOTH FEET WET NOW!" .. ppl laughed, she laughed, i'd cold feet til 4 in the morn cos ghey mate wouldnt get a taxi for ages...

Oh and on holidays I got lost. By lost i mean i walked around for bout 7 hours on my own. Everywhere. Twice.
    Was lost for bout 1/2 hr and thought i was on way home, so picked up a branch from a tree to beat the lads(good idea at time) .. 1/2 hr later got a for sale sign. This went on. Eventually i'd 2 shopping bags which i'd found. In them i'd : a branch, for sale sign, sunglasses, traffic cone, something else. Then i got a black bag from mcdonadlds, proceeded to walk through town with it. Eventually after bout 7 hrs i realised the sea was in front of me, shuda been behind me. So got scared and got a taxi. Odd looks as i placed my black bag in the boot...

sin e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

In german class many years ago, I was asked to say "I will take a shower tomorrow"(In german natch), Genuis boy here says "I will take a shower with him". Half the class laughs (the other half were as bad at german as me) eventually i realise my mistake and say "Oh I'm sorry, I will take a shower with him tomorrow".

Also there was the time I was out with a mate and we meet some friends of her's, I introduce myself, and one of them looks at me funny and tells me her name is catriona.

Two weeks later I bump into my mate and I ask her about the friend and the funny look she goes "yeah that was Catriona", "Yeah I know says I", she looks at me and says "Catriona who you had the one night stand with two years ago". "oh" says I. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

mycroft wrote:
    In german class many years ago, I was asked to say "I will take a shower tomorrow"(In german natch), Genuis boy here says "I will take a shower with him". Half the class laughs (the other half were as bad at german as me) eventually i realise my mistake and say "Oh I'm sorry, I will take a shower with him tomorrow".

Also there was the time I was out with a mate and we meet some friends of her's, I introduce myself, and one of them looks at me funny and tells me her name is catriona.

Two weeks later I bump into my mate and I ask her about the friend and the funny look she goes "yeah that was Catriona", "Yeah I know says I", she looks at me and says "Catriona who you had the one night stand with two years ago". "oh" says I. :eek:
    she mustnt of bee great looking!!! mine was in 1st year and on the same day we had our first french and german tests so i stayed up nearly all night learing all my grammer and verbs for both of them and ended up doing the french one in german and the german one in french

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

a friend of mine ate e-coli, he smeared it on a cracker, he thought it would cure his cold, and it did!
    genius...

i also a fight with the same genius from above on the hood of a cop car.

me and that genius used to have fun in secondary school in chemistry class, we had naoh and hcl fights, we would come out of chemistry with our skin raw.

one time in metal work class that genius found some white powder, and poured it down my arm, he snorted some himself, then the teacher came over to us and said "you didnt touch that stuff did you?, we use that the clense the metal"
    my arm got really sore and burny feeling, and the genius was out for 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I ran down my road - barefoot - at 2 o clock in the morning on an impulse to nick the 30 mph sign on the pole which had been knocked down earlier that day. I don't think I even wanted it, I definitely don't want it now. It just seemed like a good idea at the time.
    At a family 21st, beer kept appearing in front of me so I drank and drank and then later undrank all the beer upstairs in the hotel room in full view of my dad, although I'm sure this happens to a lot of people......right?
    And finally, for now, I left my kit bag, with uniform in it, at the 11 bus stop near my school. I realised at the next stop, had to get off, walk back and get the bag, and then get a different bus home.

spoon wrote:
    a friend of mine ate e-coli, he smeared it on a cracker, he thought it would cure his cold, and it did!
    genius...

i also a fight with the same genius from above on the hood of a cop car.

me and that genius used to have fun in secondary school in chemistry class, we had naoh and hcl fights, we would come out of chemistry with our skin raw.

one time in metal work class that genius found some white powder, and poured it down my arm, he snorted some himself, then the teacher came over to us and said "you didnt touch that stuff did you?, we use that the clense the metal"
    my arm got really sore and burny feeling, and the genius was out for 2 weeks.

I predict a darwin award in both your futures.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

hmm...a few weeks ago i was cycling home after many blue shots at a friends house (first mistake) and decided i should cross to the road since y'know..path is bad? so i swerved sharply left straight into a lampost... drunk enough for it not to hurt i stood there trying to figure out exactly what had happened for a minute or two then got back up on the bike. made my first impression in the gaeltacht 2 days later with "hi, i cut my face/got a black eye from cycling drunkenly into a pole!"

ooh, and today in school i yelled "anal sex" to get some guys attention then noticed the teacher holding open the door i was walking into. covered my face and said "oh dear"... was told to hang my head in shame :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

banquo wrote:
    i once returned my 'broken' TV and video combo the shop in the OMNI.. it turned out that the batteries in the remote control were wasted.. the guy on the phone was laughing pretty hard when he rang me to tell me to collect it... not my finest hour...

HAHAHAHA i love that! Sounds like something my x would do!
    I used to do Downhill cycling and was out one day(not wearing my helmet for some unknown reason) broke my face a lil and decided not to cycle anymore.
    Pic anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

A few of my most famous would be playing hide and seek at like 5.30 in the morning after drinking for about 4 hours. I then managed to trip over a dog and break my shin bone, I still don't know how, I mean surely my shin wouldn't even have touched the ground because of my knee and foot...

Another would have to be playing "catch the flaming tennis ball" in a small room with a big window. Needless to say I managed to singe my eyebrows and fall out of the window, at the same time. Luckily twas only about 4 feet from the ground.

And one more would be laughing so hard at someone slipping while getting off a bus that I cycled into a parked car, resulting in the car's alarm going off and drawing the attention of everyone around to me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Has to be the time when I bought a brand new Golf back in 97. For reasons I can't quite remember now, I had a need to detach the rear view mirror .I only had the car about 2 weeks and I couldn't work out how the mirror should be removed from the ball socket thingy. So I kept pulling and pulling and eventually shattered the windscreen!!! I did learn to be more patient with mechanical puzzles after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Wasn't it the most hilarious thing you ever read in your life!!!

Yes!!!!

God, you're a legend....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just remembered another one:

Aged about 13 or so, having met and spent a few days befriending a girl who was apparently quite keen on me, I noticed that this girl had what can only be called a 'tache. At which point I suavely commented "wow, you've got a better 'tache than Tom", where Tom is a mutual acquaintance who was desperate to get some sort of facial hair to prove he had entered puberty.

Strangely, she didn't talk to me after that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

impr0v wrote:
    Nah, that would make it a lot easier to forget about, but we had been at this party together earlier and I thought she had kissed this guy. She probably had, but i had a girlfriend at the time, and she had a boyfriend, so I owed her nothing (and had no entitlement to the high moral ground anyway). So to punish her for her possible bad behaviour, i refused to have sex with her. She stripped off, lay on the bed and told me exactly what she wanted, and I went home, to teach her a lesson.

/me kicks myself for thousandth time. stupid stupid stupid...

I met some of her friends a week or two later and there was a new girl with them, when they introduced me to the new friend she said 'oh you're the guy' and started sniggering.
    You sir, are an idiot! :D

Surely there would have been more interesting/humiliating ways to teach her a lesson! :) You know what I'm talkin' about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fysh wrote:
    "wow, you've got a better 'tache than Tom", where Tom is a mutual acquaintance

Or even Tom Selleck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Bought a mobile a few years back. No matter how hard I tried to get the thing to switch on, it wasn't having any of it. Next day, I went back to the phone shop, enraged that they could sell me a phone that doesn't work. Yer' man asks to take a look at it and then has me explain the problem. After a brief pause, he cracks the back open, flips the battery and hey presto, phone switches on much to the delight of the other sales assistant and everyone else in the shop.

Needless to say, I didn't go there to buy my next phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

:o if that was back in 1999 I was the guy in the shop....

Bought a mobile a few years back. No matter how hard I tried to get the thing to switch on, it wasn't having any of it. Next day, I went back to the phone shop, enraged that they could sell me a phone that doesn't work. Yer' man asks to take a look at it and then has me explain the problem. After a brief pause, he cracks the back open, flips the battery and hey presto, phone switches on much to the delight of the other sales assistant and everyone else in the shop.

Needless to say, I didn't go there to buy my next phone.

A friend of mine she works in a sex shop she has a similiar story involving a battery operated rubber *ahem* woman's unmentionables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tonysoprano

Many years ago went to the states on holidays and had a beautiful big Ameican rental car. Got back to the UK and my own car would not start for love nor money. My car was only 6 months - called the AA and waited for a couple of hours. When the AA guy arrived he was about to put the key in the ignition and turned to me and said which key is for the immobiliser. Ah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My own favourite (recent) faux pas was using one of those tempoary ATMs they have in Tescos.

Put in card.

Removed card

Keyed in money amount

Took amount of money, and stood waiting for my card.

Still waiting, as a queue was building behind me.

Shouted at the machine "Steal my f**king card".

Buddy asks did I put it back in my wallet.

shouted reply "No this stupid langer thing swallowed it" (i wouldnt have been so annoyed only that i was away in hols about 4 hrs later), and proceeded to kick said machine 3/4 times.

Buddy asks me to at least check my wallet, after which i put my hands into my pockets and walked away whistling as non-chalantly as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

ah me most stupid moment ever was going out and getting legless drunk with me mates going home to me mates house and falling asleep. vaguely remember my mates gorgeous sister getting into bed with me (she had been out as well) and all i remember is thinking this is nice and going back to sleep. I was soooo drunk it never occurred to me that she was getting into my bed for something other than sleep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jamesobrady

Stupidest things i ever did?
    This one time....abc.....I grew up right beside maynooth college...and had a skateboard....and maynooth college has a deadly footbridge....know it?....anyway...first time ever standing up on a skateboard was a the top of said footbridge facing the library.....2 secs later i was flying down beginning to lose my balance.....then found it and thought...wow...this is easy.....then hit the little tar bump where the bridge hits the erm...road?......I woke up a few minutes later surrounded by cute girl students with concerned looks...who in turn were surrounded by hysterically laughing male students.....and i couldn't find my skateboard....and everything was in tones of grey. Skateboard was buried in a hedge about head height. Security barred me for about the 20th time that week.

Never did get good at skateboarding....

This other time....out with gf at the time and her damn cute friend when i lived in Limerick....suggested jokingly a 3some....everyone laughed.....gf went to toilet...cute friend and i discussed 3some idea further.....both agreed in the name of drunkenness it seemed a good idea....resuggested it not so jokingly when gf returned....Eddie rockets staff overhearing everything were waiting with apprehension for her decision.....she said she'd see what happens when we got home.....at which time she passed out...which left me and cute friend looking at each other ..... thinking the same thing......then I took the moral highground and called her a taxi and brought unconscious gf to bed and fell asleep cos i loved her......broke up a few weeks later......

James.

stupid stupid stupid love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Looking straight down at the cork as I was opening a bottle of champagne. The cork flew into my face just above my eye and I literally saw stars- a few cm lower and it would have blinded me! D'oh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement