Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got the 1meg Lite connection with Irish Broadband????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

So Irishbroadband it is for you............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Me in Rathmines. Prepare to get lag :p j/k mate :)

[Edit]I take it the only way to register with them is by paying with DD?[/Edit]

Ordered BB from them and it will take 3-4 weeks to get it install. Was hoping to get it sooner LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

neokenzo wrote:
    Ordered BB from them and it will take 3-4 weeks to get it install. Was hoping to get it sooner LOL :D

Wow when did u order? thats very quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

Has anyone in Bray got IBB and is it anygood :confused:

Cranoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Does anyone know how big the aerial for the Breeze 1MB Lite system is and is it easy to take down if you were moving flat etc

is this option cheaper than getting a phone line in?

pclive wrote:
    Does anyone know how big the aerial for the Breeze 1MB Lite system is and is it easy to take down if you were moving flat etc

Yeh i would work out cheaper then getting a phoneline and broadband on it, Im nt sure how big the aerial, im hoping its easy to take down aswell, as i will need to take it down when i move flats aswell

gline wrote:
    Wow when did u order? thats very quick

I ordered it 2 days ago :) I dont have BB at the moment and I missed it lol ;)

Does it really take 3-4 weeks to get it installed?

pclive wrote:

I've worked at a place that had IBB installed before. The aerial isnt that big. A lot smaller than a tv dish. Nevertheless, I think only IBB can take it down and re-install it for you but dont quote me on that. Thats the logical thing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I'd say its no more than a meter high (in my case any way, i think it can be up to 2m). Has a white diamond shaped flat panel at the top about A4 size, with a little green light. Its resonably discrete sticking up off the chimney! For example from some angles you cant see it at all.

The installation is €150 and then €48.40 a month. Not sure of the cost of phone installation, but I doubt its dearer than this.

• Advertisement

neokenzo wrote:
    I ordered it 2 days ago :) I dont have BB at the moment and I missed it lol ;)

Does it really take 3-4 weeks to get it installed?

I honestly think it will take way longer than 3-4 weeks. They said that to me and its been 2 weeks and i rang them and they said probably about 4-6 weeks. i cant wait :D

I rang them up about 2 hours ago and the sales person says its going to take 3-4 weeks. Damn I hate the waiting game :( LOL

I honestly think it will take way longer than 3-4 weeks. They said that to me and its been 2 weeks and i rang them and they said probably about 4-6 weeks. i cant wait

It took me three weeks to the day to get it. When I rang after two weeks the guy said I should expect to here from the installation manager the next week. Sure enough I got a phone call one week later at about 4pm to ask did I want it installed at 9am the next day! Lucky I was free! :)

Excellent, that means there is hope for me, hehehe :)

How about security wise? Would anyone with wireless access be able to hog off from the line?

neokenzo wrote:
    How about security wise? Would anyone with wireless access be able to hog off from the line?
    I know of someone who did it before, it is possible to see connecttions that are near you, so he said

Thats not good news is it. Surely there must be some kind of security measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The internet is open, so whether your link to the mast is open or not doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things. The real problem, for them, is to ensure that only paying customers connect to their mast.

So if someone connects to it the connection, its connecting to their mast and not connecting to my connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

gline wrote:
    I know of someone who did it before, it is possible to see connecttions that are near you, so he said
    Fine, you can probably see the signal, but you won't be able to use it. I believe the "magic box" they supply you with locks onto the mac address of the ethernet card you connect it to, and then only traffic to/from that card can actually be sent to and from IBB.

Also, i believe IBB told me before that the connections get encrypted, but i don't know of any way to verify that...

Its possible your friend was thinking of peoples wireless routers. Sometimes people forget to enable security options on their router, and end up broadcasting a signal to everyone within range, allowing them to connect to the router, and thus access the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

In all likelihood they (IBB) do MAC filtering based on the MAC address of the radio. They probably use WEP for rudimentary encryption. They have probably disabled ESSID broadcast to make it harder to access the mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I sent in my application for about 2weeks ago and I rang them earlier today. The rep said I will be contacted within a week to make an appointment for an engineer to come out. I'm hopeful. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Narcom

Folks, if you get IBB Breeze or the VL equipment installed on your roof then you are tied to a 12 month contract that you cannot break. If you cancel it, then they will charge you EUR150 to remove their aerial from the roof, so don't sign up if you are in an apartment and intend to move mid-contract or you will get hit for breaking contract.

As Micraboy already said it is approx A4 diamond in size and sits on a regular Chorus/NTL Aerial bracketed to your chimney or similar. The aerial has a unit attached to the dish with a green led that remains on while it is plugged in. Then they run CAT into the house and it terminates in a 'magic box' which is the POE Power Over Ethernet radio unit. This is effectively the modem. (I think) When IBB install the unit at the house, they register the MAC address of this magic box. They also assign you a static IP address. The MAC address is registered to the mast you are connected to.

Therefore, no-one else can use your connection, unless you in turn connect the magic box into an unsecured wireless router etc.

As for the 3-4 weeks promise. Ring them every week to confirm an install date. I and most other people got the 2 weeks promise, then 4 weeks for the bones of 2-3 months. Don't believe them until they actually confirm a date/time.

By the way IBB appear to monitor these threads and therefore advertising that you intend to heavily use BT or other P2P apps might attract unnecessary attention before you get the service. There have been reports that traffic shaping or throttling to certain ports does happen on IBB. This could be paranoia, but just bear it in mind.

Also, don't know if they bless the setting up of public servers, so I wouldn't be broadcasting that either as it used to be excluded in their Terms and Conditions..... ;)

Does that mean even after 12 months if I decide not continue with the contract, I still have to pay to take the aerial down?

Here's a quote from a user named Scary in another thread:
    Rang IBB yesterday about disconnecting my service ( moving house and all) without asking any details I was told I would have to pay €150 to have someone come out and take the equipment down. I laughed and told them I would get up on my roof and do it myself but the nice chappy on the phone said that could not be done and the charge went towards sending a crane out to get it down ( I kid you not) Needless to say direct debit will be cancelled and if they want the equipment back they know where it is.

I wonder what happens if you just leave it behind?

They do restrict certain ports, It happen to a friend of, he was using KAZAA a LOT, they rang him one day o say they were having a problem and could he dissconnect and when he reconnected kazaa would only work at dial up speed, this was on one of the business connections.

MicraBoy wrote:
    Here's a quote from a user named Scary in another thread:

I wonder what happens if you just leave it behind?
    Yeh feck that, i would be inclined to leave it behind and they can come get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Narcom

neokenzo wrote:
    Does that mean even after 12 months if I decide not continue with the contract, I still have to pay to take the aerial down?

As far as I know, once the 12 month contract is up, there is no charge to recover their aerial, but the equipment remains IBB property at all times (including the magic box which connects to your PC/router)

Narcom wrote:
    As far as I know, once the 12 month contract is up, there is no charge to recover their aerial, but the equipment remains IBB property at all times (including the magic box which connects to your PC/router)

Yeah the part that the aerial and box remains the property of IBB part I know. Thanks mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

On reading advice here I called today to get an update on my application for the 1Mb home service since they've had the form for 3 weeks now. I was told that the mast I'm due to be connected to is under going maintanance (an upgrade) and therefore there was a backlog of people waiting for connections but that they are due to call me on the 26th for an update. I await the 26th with interest to see what they say. "it will be another 2 weeks" most likely...

The bugger with that is that I should be within range of another mast but they didn't seem interested in connecting me to that in the mean time.

Advertisement