Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got the 1meg Lite connection with Irish Broadband????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What mast you going onto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Closest one is Belmont, although the maps on the web page have me in coverage of the Sandyford one too. When I originally called they said the Belmont mast wasn't live but would be "in the next 4 weeks". We all know that to be total arse, but on calling again they said the Sandyford one should be fine.

So I assume they have put me in the queue for Belmont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

BigMoose wrote:
    Closest one is Belmont, although the maps on the web page have me in coverage of the Sandyford one too. When I originally called they said the Belmont mast wasn't live but would be "in the next 4 weeks". We all know that to be total arse, but on calling again they said the Sandyford one should be fine.

So I assume they have put me in the queue for Belmont.
    Or know IBB they dont have you down for any of the quese, they are very unorganized, and forms get "misplaced" a lot with them

Or know IBB they dont have you down for any of the quese

You're probably dead right. Although I was vaguely impressed they had record of my application as they found my address etc no problems. I will see if they do actually ring on the 26th and ask them what mast it is that's being upgraded and why I cant go on the other one in the mean time. I asked the 2nd question today and he went on about more reliable service from the closer mast. While I appreciate LOS and capacity, signal streangth etc, _some_ service is better than none!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just a quick thing that caught my eye in a post above: exactly what sort of monitoring do IBB do on these threads? Has anyone ever got an 'offical' PM from them?

• Advertisement

deep_end wrote:
    Hey guy's !!!! you don't have to go extreme. Spend about 50$ and get your self a SUPER CANTENNA a superb high speed. Green light forever.
    There is http://www.cantenna.com
    :D

Would this work, is there anything on the ripwave modem to plug it into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deep_end

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Would this work, is there anything on the ripwave modem to plug it into?
    just plug into your computer/laptop. you also need PCMCIA card MUST HAVE an external antenna connector!

But you need the ripwave modem to decode the signal from IBB.

You can't just pick up the IBB signal and go online with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Narcom

deep_end wrote:
    For more information cheque FAQ http://www.cantenna.com/answers.html

I think there is confusion here between the fixed wireless service being provided by IBB (which has a number of technologies working at a range of frequencies) and the cantenna product which is simply increasing the range of your local wireless LAN by X hundred yards (ie your access point in your home/office etc. not your connection to some distant base station 2 miles away)

The Cantenna site refers to 2.4Ghz products around 802.11b/g specifications - this is not to be confused with technology in Breeze/VL/Ripwave etc even though the old breeze equipment uses the 2.4Ghz frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Omen

BigMoose, it's now 29th did they contact you on the 26th and are you up and running???

• Advertisement

BigMoose, it's now 29th did they contact you on the 26th and are you up and running???

Did they b*ggery and am I f***! :mad:

I am unimpressed, although not surprised. I was too busy at work to hassle them last week but fully intend to on Monday, almost a week after I should have heard. Given the sales guy will be friendly but unhelpful, who should I ask to talk to?

I just wish they'd be honest about what's going on with the mast near here. If they know it will be 6 months, then for f's sake tell me. If they are seriosuly expecting it to be 4 weeks, but given projects of this nature it could end up being 8, then fine, tell me. But currently I dont trust that their "4 weeks, but could go on longer" isn't complete rubbish and they know full well the mast wont be ready for 6 months...

I'll post back how I get on!

well ive been waiting now over 4 weeks and the usual commment, "someone on the installation team will be in contact in a week or 2" wat a load of crap, it will be next year by the timei'll get it i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I told them I need it for work and I'd loose my job if I did not get it soon as I work from home. Engineers.

Try it out and ask for a supervisor if they are not helpful.

D

i think they have a big backlog though i think, if they havnt given me a call by the end of the week i will ask to speak to a supervisor , as they did say everything is fine and they are just waiting for technician to ring me to organise a date, i just wish they wouldnt tell u it will be 1-2 weeks when they know it wil probably be 6 weeks

I was talking to them earlier and they told me they were doing some work on the mast and it will be at least a week before they are ready for me. Sounds like standard rep bull to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I was talking to them earlier and they told me they were doing some work on the mast and it will be at least a week before they are ready for me. Sounds like standard rep bull to me.

yup that's the latest sh*t i've been fed too. bout 5 weeks ago we had the engineer out, said we should have it within 6-8 working days. Still haven't got it installed naturally and just been told it'll be another 2-4 weeks. I wonder what excuse they'll use in 4 weeks time :mad: they're an absolute disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but since this discusses IBB ins and outs, I might as well, rather than open a new thread.

I'm moving to Dublin in January. I need a quality hi-speed net connection. I'll be located in the Beaumont area.

I've research IBB options and have found that the Killester mast option covers me, supposedly.

I'll opt for the EUR48.80 a month option, Breeze Lite Home, with EUR149 set-up.

It is essential I run with an uncapped service, as I don't wish to be watching my monthly transfer rates.

Can people here tell me the following, it would be much appreciated:

1. Are there any other viable alternatives to IBB?

2. How does the Killester mast operate?

3. What speeds am I realistically likely to get?

4. I've read this thread through, mostly, and am struck by how sh.it IBB seem to be. Has their service improved of late, or am I in for a major headache. Period?

Thanks in advance, folks.

Wrafter

And one wee addition - I'd rather not have to get in a phoneline as I'd like to avoid the additional cost associated (though if it were cheaper, over the course of a year, to get a phone line in, to improve my service-levels / speeds then I'd consider it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you're going to be in rented accomodation, getting IBB may complicate things for you as it obviously requires landlord approval to install the aerial.

The easiest BB solution is to go for an ADSL service. I think the cheapest uncapped service is Digiweb's 1Mbps service. I have no idea how reliable it is but surely can't be worse than anything IBB cobbles together.

Accomm is actually a friend's house, which he owns - so no probs with aerial.

However, I note from your tone that you are anything but a fan of IBB.

[Digiweb's 1Mbsp service? Are you talking about this: [url]http://dsl.digiweb.ie/bizjetenhanced.asp[/url] (1Mbps, no traffic limits, router with four ports?) There's still that phone line rental issue though. How much do phone line rentals work out at now in Ireland (I'm not in Ireland right now, you see...)]

But back to my core question - is IBB the best option for non-phone-line-reliant connections, uncapped?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

wrafter wrote:
    How much do phone line rentals work out at now in Ireland
    €24.18/month
    But back to my core question - is IBB the best option for non-phone-line-reliant connections, uncapped?
    NTL cable is considered the best option, if you can get it - like IBB, it has even more limited availability than DSL.

NTL is probably a better option but they have very patchy coverage. I have no idea if they have coverage in your future area.

No other ISP has had so many horror stories attached to it as IBB, ranging from unrealistic estimates of when service will be available to damaging the house while doing the installation. But if you don't want a phone line and you can't get NTL's cable broadband, then they're pretty much the only show in town.

Blaster and Ripwave, my thanks.

I have checked out the NTL FAQ here: http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_faqs_technical.html, which seems quite detailed.

However, no indication of price therein; or more importantly, for a technical FAQ, no indication as to how one assesses if your house/adobe/office can support NTL cable. My search continues.

Any pointers/indicators appreciated.

NTL's prices are on the site somewhere, probably in the region of €40-50 for 1.5Mbps. There's also an availability checker where you can put in your customer number and they will tell you what services are available. I believe you need to know the URL of that because they don't advertise its existence for some reason beyond comprehension. It was mentioned here a few months ago, you might be able to find it with a search. NTL tends to call around to enabled houses with flyers or send out letters to enabled homes, so if your friend hasn't had any of that then his/her house is probably not enabled. You can always call NTL and ask, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Blaster99 wrote:
    There's also an availability checker where you can put in your customer number and they will tell you what services are available. I believe you need to know the URL of that because they don't advertise its existence for some reason beyond comprehension.

It is there somewhere but very hard to find, so I bookmarked it...

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/sales/ :D

Just called them and it's the same old. They cant add me to either Sandyford or Belmont as they are waiting new recievers to go on the masts and there's nothing they can do until then. He still claims it'll be a week or so despite me telling him I've been told this for the last 2 months. I tried to get him to admit that they have no idea and could well be months, but he wasn't having that! He did confirm that all paper work has cleared and as soon as the mast is ready blah blah.

I'm down for the "Dun Laoghaire" mast, which he thought was probably Belmont (which isn't live yet). Even though I am also in range of Sandyford he claims this mast has also maxed out so there is nothing they can do.

I dont know how long I give it until I sod it and go ADSL. Since I have no other use for a phone line I really dont want to. I guess I can give it until the new year at most. With a bit of luck NTL will get their act together before then. I am just bloody lucky I have a 3G connection that I'm not paying for to last me until then!

Are they putting a mast in dunlaoghaire, i was living there last year, they promised me in about august last year there was a mast going up within 6 months :) is there one there now???

As far as I can tell from talking to them, it is the Belmont mast that is on their website as live that they are talking about. It is not live (everyone I've spoken to in IBB agrees on this). I have been told it will be live from early october to "a week or so" from today. If they were telling you it will be live in 6 months a year ago then that really does piss me off as I doubt there's any chance of it going live before the new year...

I'm not even convinced the thing is physically there. Will have to look harder next time I drive past that way, if their web site is even accurate of where the masts are.

Come on NTL!! Although they are a bugger in themselves for not giving any hint when/IF my area will be upgraded. (there are numerous separate threads for this).

Yeh IBB said it would be available within 6 months , which would have been in jan or fenb this year, and i was living near the mainstreet in dunlaoghaire

• Advertisement

So I contact NTL by e-mail at about 3am this morning, and I had a reply by 10am this morning.

I was impressed.

I mailed them back at about 11am and got a reply at 3pm.

So I got thinking, at least these guys are on the ball.

But alas, in my case, Cable Modem Service is unavailable at my address in Beaumont. But: "I have passed your details on to our Broadband Sales Team who will keep your details on file and once the rollout begins in your area they will notify you immediately."

No indication of timeline, then.

Any IBB users in the Beaumont area here, or anyone on the Killester mast?

Advertisement