Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got the 1meg Lite connection with Irish Broadband????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I called them up to ask them when they will install my BB and said they have to wait till my DD payment goes through? I thought the DD will be paid at the end of the month? Is this how they operate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Thats a load of bullfrog. It took them two weeks after they installed mine to take any dosh. Then they took the installation and the next months rental within 24 hours. :rolleyes:

Actually just occured to me they may mean the approval from the bank for the DD rather than the actual cash. Surely that doesn't take much time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

It would take at least a week for the bank to clear, They said that if it is the breeze, the money is taken out of your account AFTER it is installed. The DD comes out near the start of the month as far as i can remember, If it is the ripwave service they take the money before sending you the modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Can anyone post up a picture of what this "Magic Box" looks like and its dimestions?
    i'm thinking of going for this option but seeing as how they have to drill a hole into the house i'm wondering where the best place to run the cable into for the magic box. Was thinking of running it into the kitchen and connecting it up to a wireless router and hiding the whole thin in a cupboard or on top ok the kitchen unit so it would be out of sight.
    Anyone using it with a wireless router? If i go down this route i'll have to get a wireless ethernet connection for my xbox as well. anyone have one of these?

Rang them again today and instead of getting a date for installation latest tomorrow, its now going to be end of next week. So instead of getting it install within 3-4 weeks its going to take 4-5 weeks. I'm thinking it will take 6-8 week when its actually installed. Is it possible to cancel the application before they install it? I'm hoping NTL will be in my area soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Scruff wrote:
    Can anyone post up a picture of what this "Magic Box" looks like and its dimestions?
    Check #12 in this thread...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=188613&highlight=power+ethernet
    Scruff wrote:
    Anyone using it with a wireless router?
    I'm using it with the Netgear WGT624 Router & WG511T Wireless card. Works like a dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I presume you can't get a wireless connection for an XBox, so the smart thing to do is to buy a Wireless Ethernet bridge (as well as a wireless router of course) and hook it up to a hub and then connect your PC and XBox to it using wires. Those bridges tend to be a bit pricey, but I got a Netgear 802.11g bridge (WGE101) the other day and that was the cheapest 802.11g bridge (€82 all in) I could find from a reputable manufacturer. I haven't installed it yet so I don't know anything detailed about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

A tip for IBB users :-

when downloading files use DAP or another download accelerator to get the max from your bandwidth !!! I get around 140 kbs on a 1 meg line with seriouse data bursts !!!

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

wow! 140 kilobits per second eh? w00000sh ;)

Capital B for bytes.

Yup got a Netgear :- http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT634U.php WGT643 in PC World and its fantastic !!! Works great with IBB :-) Horray for gaminig on the loo and in the bath !!!

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Well how's this one for everyone...

I've ordered Breeze 1M lite from IBB, and so far it's been like trying to pull the bank accounts out of Liam Lawlor - you'd swear they really don't want to have customers!

I have quite a few posts about my absolutely woeful experience with RipWave, so you might infer that if there was any installation that needed to go right this time it would be mine. I still can't drag the installation out of them.

I ordered up the Breeze thing, filled in all the forms etc and sent them off.

Last monday I was told that "the girl who does the installation" dates would ring me on wednesday as she was on holiday.

So i waited until thursday, and phoned up again and was informed by the same sales rep that "i would be first on the list on thursday morning".

So thursday comes and goes, and then I ring on friday - she'd gone home, fair enough i suppose, it was late.

Today, I ring up this morning and am told that they will ring me this afternoon. No joy by 4.45pm so I ring again - this time I am curtly told by some plonker that "there's a system" here, and that "if they have time" they'll ring or e-mail tomorrow or the next day "I don't really know when to be honest, whenever they have time".

Sad thing is , i'm stuck with them because of my phone line. Anyone have a similar experience? Is there any point asking to talk to a supervisor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

There is every point in talking to a supervisor, i had the exact sme problems as you, for 6 weeks and itr was only when i spoke to a supervisor it was organised that day, the supervisors name i spoke to was Damien. Very helpful guy and got it sorted ASAP. the breeze is a good connection, ,you just have to wait to get it, try talk to a supervisor, worked for me. good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Scruff wrote:
    i'm thinking of going for this option but seeing as how they have to drill a hole into the house i'm wondering where the best place to run the cable into for the magic box. Was thinking of running it into the kitchen and connecting it up to a wireless router and hiding the whole thin in a cupboard or on top ok the kitchen unit so it would be out of sight.
    Anyone using it with a wireless router? If i go down this route i'll have to get a wireless ethernet connection for my xbox as well. anyone have one of these?

If your thinking about going wireless,the access point would have to be upstairs for best coverage.Also, the 'magic box' is about twice the size and thickness of a box of schmokes.

I called them 3-4 times a week after sending in an application. Got a similiar responce as you do Red Alert. They finally rang me for installation after 5 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

IBB sounds better than eircom. I think it is available in my area, as my cousin has applied for it and he is about 100 metres away. I thought the 1MB up 1 MB down option is wireless, with an antenna on the roof? But shouldn't wireless ping terrible?

Not at all. The pings that I have are really good. 23-25 to UK servers.

Anyone have bad pings on IBB last night ?? MINE was really unstable !!!!

D

Pings were fine with mine.

C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.130] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=924ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=405ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=601ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=499ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 405ms, Maximum = 924ms, Average = 607ms

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=60

Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 9ms

Maybe you should their customer support?

• Advertisement

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=59

Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 9ms

YEHARRRRRRRRRR PING IS BACK !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

They finally rang me for installation after 5 weeks.

I nearly fell off my chair when I got a call yesterday offering me an install date of 14th Dec! Will be even more amazed if they turn up and get it all working. Some 8 weeks after my paperwork clearned, which was 4 weeks after I first spoke to them.

BigMoose wrote:
    I nearly fell off my chair when I got a call yesterday offering me an install date of 14th Dec! Will be even more amazed if they turn up and get it all working. Some 8 weeks after my paperwork clearned, which was 4 weeks after I first spoke to them.

Took them 5 months to install mine !! I had even forgotten about them !!! and I got a call out of the blue they would be around 2morrow.

DONT HOLD YOUR breath.

Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Heres what I get om ibb 1 meg lite
    ping www.boards.ie

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=61

Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 6ms

C:\DOCUME~1\TONYMO~1>
    Drapper wrote:

Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 9ms

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote:
    Heres what I get om ibb 1 meg lite
    ping www.boards.ie

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=61
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=61

Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 6ms

C:\DOCUME~1\TONYMO~1>

Are you standing beside the mast???? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Drapper wrote:
    Took them 5 months to install mine !! I had even forgotten about them !!! and I got a call out of the blue they would be around 2morrow.

DONT HOLD YOUR breath.

Martin

Well I got a call from IBB today (1 week after sending my order form). They wanted to know about the building I lived in. I told them it was 3 storeys high and that the roof was not accessible from inside the house. As a result, they'll have to come out with some kind of small crane as ladders are only used for buildings up to 2 storeys high. This is definitely going to lengthen the whole process... :( I'm still hoping I get an IBB connection before Christmas though! Fingers crossed

Good luck I'll bet 50euro you dont get connected !!! on ??

Drapper wrote:
    Good luck I'll bet 50euro you dont get connected !!! on ??

Thanks for the support Martin! :p

Took me 5 months !!!

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    Took me 5 months !!!

I'm confident I'll beat that easily :D

Advertisement