Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loss of drive space after re-install

• 06-10-2004 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hey there,

After a service pack 2 nightmare I had to re-install windows xp home on my Pc. Prior to the installastion of SP2 and the re-installation of XP I had approx. 40 gb free on My HD. Since the re-installation I have about 1GB..

Can someone offer some advice ?

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

Did you format your HDD?
    If not, then your old Windows installation is still on the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Yea you probably installed it in a new partition and have lost your old one..try reinstall but this time fromat all partitons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Mmm... Ok, my Windows came pre-installed so I don't have a boot disc. It re-installed itself after a system recovery was run.. Is there a way around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

So all you have is the Recovery disk, im not sure how to do it with that. Is the system still under warranty?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use spacemonger to see what is taking up the space (download - search)

right click my computer - manage - disk managment - to see partitions

empty recycle bin

Turn off system volume restore (if you are very sure your system is stable) , reboot and put it back on again

use ntbackup.msi on the CD to take a backup when it's all honky dory

• Advertisement
Advertisement