Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Crash

• 06-10-2004 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

Just heard on WLRfm - two buses crashed into each other in Waterford. Apparently one swerved to avoid a woman crossing the road with a pram, hit another one and lodged into a telephone pole. There is 12 people gone to hospital so far. And another few people were behind the telephone pole where it got stuck. Their lives must have flashed before their eyes.

The thing about the woman and the pram hasn't been confirmed yet, but even if that wasn't true I just want to vent about how much it annoys me when women with prams push them out onto the road about 3 feet in front of them. Nothing scares the crap outta me more when i'm driving along and i see a pram pushed in front of me. People should be more careful with their babies ffs.

I'm guessin someone will come out and say that its hard to cross a road without the pram being in front (you have to push it after all) but theres some people that are just damn careless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

One thing I hate... people with prams just shove them out onto the road to get traffic to stop. That's the most precious thing you own for gods sake, treat it with respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Some women and prams is a pet hate for me. Women just stick the pram out onto the edge of the road expecting traffic to stop.

I actually saw the consequences of this before. A truck was half way passed and some women accidently put the pram out onto the road. Unfortunately she actually put it under the rear wheels of the truck. Not a nice story.

For the girls who are gonna argue this one, just look out for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Some women and prams is a pet hate for me. Women just stick the pram out onto the edge of the road expecting traffic to stop.

I actually saw the consequences of this before. A truck was half way passed and some women accidently put the pram out onto the road. Unfortunately she actually put it under the rear wheels of the truck. Not a nice story.

For the girls who are gonna argue this one, just look out for it..

Women with prams tend to be oblivious to their surroundings. Just try a walk down any busy Dublin street during the day and see how many damaged ankles you get from clouts of a pram wheel at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Have to agree, it's crazy seeing these women trying to stop traffic with the pram... I mean what in the name of God do they think they're DOING risking their babies' lives in such a irresponsible and avoidable way. Surely there is enough to worry about with kids without purposely shoving the poor tot onto the road into the path of oncoming traffic.

On the actual footpaths themselves I don't generally mind prams too much, unless there is no way past them and I find them trying to push me (or any other pedestrians who are unfortunate enough to get in their way) out onto the road whilst trying to push a pram past that obviously won't fit through the crowds of people who would generally be walking around Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

On the actual footpaths themselves I don't generally mind prams too much, unless there is no way past them and I find them trying to push me (or any other pedestrians who are unfortunate enough to get in their way) out onto the road whilst trying to push a pram past that obviously won't fit through the crowds of people who would generally be walking around Dublin.

I've no problem with the presence of a pram in Dublin, and I'm sure its a nightmare for any mother trying to get a few things done around town, trying to negotiate busy streets and badly laid out shops with a child in tow.

Its the ones who aim for your ankles I don't like. And they speed up before they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I just saw the TV pictures of the accident. It looks very similar to the one on Dublin's Wellington Quay earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

from

rte.ie
    Inquiries launched into Waterford accident

06 October 2004 17:28
    Two separate investigations are underway in Waterford following an accident in the city centre this morning involving two Bus Éireann buses.

A fleet of six ambulances ferried the 17 injured people from the scene of the accident to the nearby hospital for nearly an hour and a half after the crash.

Nobody was seriously injured although at least half a dozen were treated for back and neck injuries.

Bus Éireann has launched its own internal investigation and is bringing in investigators from either Dublin or England to assist in finding out the cause of the accident.

A separate Garda investigation is also underway.

The accident happened just before 11am this morning and involved two single-deck buses.

One of the buses mounted the pavement and crashed into a large lamp post. Some of those who were injured were on the bus at the time, while some were waiting at the bus stop.

A temporary accident room was set up in a ground floor office just beside the scene of the accident while those injured waited for ambulances to take them to hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

Passed by a short while after the accident and it was a scary site. Its a blessing know one was seriously injured or worse still killed.

And i hear you when you talk of careless women with prams.. they shove the baby out infront of you so you'll let them by :rolleyes: and thats coming from a womans point of view too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I've no problem with the presence of a pram in Dublin, and I'm sure its a nightmare for any mother trying to get a few things done around town, trying to negotiate busy streets and badly laid out shops with a child in tow.

Its the ones who aim for your ankles I don't like. And they speed up before they do it.

Yes, in fairness it must be a nightmare for mothers in Dublin, it's bad enough when you just have to look out for yourself let alone having someone who is totally dependant on you for everything.

There is one more thing about pram laden mothers in busy areas that bugs me more though and that's the mothers who meet one (or more) of their friends (also with pram/s in tow) congregating on the footpath for a good old gossip when once again all other pedestrians are trying to get past. I know everyone needs to catch up with friends but why in the middle of a crowded footpath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah it happened to me just yesterday there was a predisterian (sp?) crossing down the street but instead of going over to it she walked straight out i front of me never even looked around or thought to stop and strolled across the street. i wouldnt of minded too much only the crossing was only down the street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Re the women and prams - its not only women who do it - see a lot of Dads do it too and yes it is discgraceful for a person to put a child in a buggy out off the footpath while they wait to cross the road. I always wait for the green man or if there's none I'd never put my son out in his buggy until I'm absolutely sure its safe for us both to cross the road. As for shopping in crowds with a buggy - yes a total nightmare.

Advertisement