Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircome.. new phone line query

Options
  • 06-10-2004 12:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

We got a "new" phone line put into the house we moved into a few months ago. An eircom engineer called to the house a few days after we rang eircom, took a look at the phone and the phone box-connecting.. thing (there was already a phone line). He took the phone box off the wall, disconnected the old phone (it was glued in) and then.. left. He didn't come back for a week or two, and when he did he told us we had a phone line back.

now, the problem we're having is eircom are charging us for full new phone line.. when we think it was only a reconnection job. Our netsource dsl has been acting the tit since we got it connected and we are unsure if it's just the neighbourhood, or possibly the old phone line that was re-connected, and we don't want to pay for a new phone line unless we actualy get a *new* phone line.

I'm ringing them this afternoon, but I'm curious if there's anything I can do. I haven't actually paid yet, but I'm going to have to eventually ( they don't even have our number on the computer system, so the last time someone rang they felt they couldn't do anything for us.. in sales *and* in technical). I just don't want to be paying for a new line, when all we got was a reconnection. If I pay for a new line, can I demand that a new line be put in in place of this current one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Was there a line already in situ and was there a "soft tone" there? If so there was an existing line.

I had this with Eircom before and I beat them at their own game. They wanted €129 for a line that was connected to the exchange. Eventually after much arguing they gave it to me at the €29 price.

There is a code that was posted on one of the boards that when you dial it on your phone an automated voice will speak back your number to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well, we know the phone number. and when the other guy rang eircom and was told our phone line "didn't exist" he asked them ".. what do you think I'm ringing you on?". They just repeated that we didn't actually have a phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Mordeth wrote:
    now, the problem we're having is eircom are charging us for full new phone line.. when we think it was only a reconnection job. Our netsource dsl has been acting the tit since we got it connected and we are unsure if it's just the neighbourhood, or possibly the old phone line that was re-connected, and we don't want to pay for a new phone line unless we actualy get a *new* phone line.
    According to this thread on the Broadband forum, other Netsource customers have been having problems recently. If the problem was with your line, you wouldn't have been able to get connected to Netsource in the first place.
    I just don't want to be paying for a new line, when all we got was a reconnection.
    Believe me, if you were actually paying the real cost of a new line, you wouldn't be particularly happy either.
    If I pay for a new line, can I demand that a new line be put in in place of this current one?
    No. Usually the "reconnection fee" only applies if you reconnect your own line, but if you're pushy, you can get the "new connection" fee changed to the "reconnection" fee. Eircom still consider it a "new connection" even if the line was already in place.

Advertisement