Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWG jump to light speed

Options
  • 06-10-2004 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get invited to the beta for this?

i just got my invite but i don't have access to the web yet here in dundee. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Got the invite, but I decided a few weeks ago to stop playing SWG, so I've actually given away my character...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just interested as to how many of you who got jtl invites had cancelled your account or had taken a prolonged break?

A lot of guildies/friends in-game who quit a while back seem to have gotten a disproportionate amount of acceptances compared to folk with active accounts.
    Since you need an active (and hence paid-for) account to play the beta, conspiracy theories against SOE ar rife....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Yeah I cancelled a couple of months ago, right after their combat balance announcement. They've just sent me a reg-code to play the beta but I can't be arsed as I'd have to reinstall and patch everything and then sign-up to test it.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah I got an invite. Still playing the game. Not pushed about the beta though, but i've tried it. Let me just say I want to get more time to spend playing it, but i'm leveling up 2 characters atm - one on Farstar (to force initiate to unlock a second char) and on Lowca to get a BH so I can get a neutral ship and go the hunter route.

I'm looking forward to the full release of JTL. I know a LOT of people who are saying it's everything they expected for them to stay in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

i got an invite even tho i only played SWG for about 2 weeks :p gave my account to a mate not too sure if he's still playing it now tho

if ya know anyone with an active account and wants a beta key pm me and ill send ya mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    Yeah I cancelled a couple of months ago, right after their combat balance announcement. They've just sent me a reg-code to play the beta but I can't be arsed as I'd have to reinstall and patch everything and then sign-up to test it.

Teeth.

does that mean you will be getting rid of your character then teeth? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

hehe bigears, u don't need Teeth's char, ok it has a lot of cash on it, but as far as mastering proffs goes, u can pretty much master any combat proff in 1-3 days, and the same goes for crafting proffs (if u have the money for grinding resources)

its pretty easy on the level curve for "normal chars" perhaps thats why people run out of things to do quickly..

anyways I won't go on another rant about the game as i've washed my hands of it for good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Memnoch wrote:
    hehe bigears, u don't need Teeth's char, ok it has a lot of cash on it, but as far as mastering proffs goes, u can pretty much master any combat proff in 1-3 days, and the same goes for crafting proffs (if u have the money for grinding resources)

its pretty easy on the level curve for "normal chars" perhaps thats why people run out of things to do quickly..

anyways I won't go on another rant about the game as i've washed my hands of it for good :P

it takes months to unlock now, of which it dosent involve grinding professions anymore but instead doing "phases" in the village where you have to unlock 6 trees (24 boxes) of FS (force side) xp

i have no eagerness to really go for jedi and have always done what i enjoyed ingame consisting of bounty hunter and my 12pt master weaponsmith alt

the game is what you make it to be really, pvp in gcw i didnt really enjoy, but pvp jedi vs bh i enjoy very much so and its more of a challenge and 1 on 1 which is the way i prefer. and well ive really took a shine to crafting in the past few months which is when i got an alt and grinded upto master ws, opened a shop and have now moved into a mall making a steady supply of all guns in the game, and recently got 12pt to match it :)

the money dosent bother me much, its just fictional money really when you think about it and i think i spent about 35million alone getting to 12pt and i never really have a problem credits wise

but if there was a jedi there to play i suppose it would take intrest :P

yeah the PvP in GCW is done very badly, most fights are zerg fests, you spend an hour waiting for everyone to get doc buffed and mind buffed, then you have a big zerg fight in which if you die you have to "hope" to get buffed in the middle.

on top of the half the players exploit G'tef where you can't attack them unless they attack someone who is overt and tef'd to their group already which really makes fights quite boring sometimes.

CM aoe poison spam is still pretty over powered, not to mention riflemen spamming headshots. The warcry bug/exploit is completely ruining pvp as well.

PvP was done very well in daoc, atleast initially was very well balanced etc. Even LoM had decent "balanced" PvP.

As for Jedi vs BH, don't get me started on that, I'm sure its enjoyable for BH inflicting forced PvP on some low lvl jedi that can't really fight back. BH low level jedi = cowardice of the greatest degree imo, ppl too cowardly to go overt so they don't get attacked but happy to force PvP on others. Off course when a jedi gets higher level its harder for a "ranged" BH, but melee template BH still can kill knights if they know what they are doing, which is a joke since you can finish a BH in less than a week easily, while it takes months of unlocking, and then months of grinding to get to a knight.

Thats the worst thing about a system such as this, that in "level" terms you have a level 15 charecter being on par with a level 50, silly really. Some reward for getting to level 50 indeed.

btw teethy doesn't have a jedi on his account..

i however do have one on mine, i've quit playing. I thought of selling the account but haven't really bothered with it yet, tbh I wouldn't mind giving it to someone I knew IRL(had given it to teeth duing my hiatus), since at the end of the day I did put a lot of time and effort into unlocking it.

Please Memnoch, you said you washed your hands of it - so leave it alone. Stop tainting other peoples possible new experiences of this game (which either way you look at it when you first start it's brilliant!) with your own bitter stories.

Not everyone wants to PvP. A lot of people don't PvP because it's not twitchy. So stop harping on the same tired old cries about the game! You've cancelled your account, so just leave it well alone.

I know a lot of people who have now tested JTL and think it's fantastic. In their opinion it's well worth getting SWG just for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Wertz wrote:
    Just interested as to how many of you who got jtl invites had cancelled your account or had taken a prolonged break?

yeah i had cancelled my account in june then got an invite last week. will be staring it up again for a month just to see what it's like.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']Please Memnoch, you said you washed your hands of it - so leave it alone. Stop tainting other peoples possible new experiences of this game (which either way you look at it when you first start it's brilliant!) with your own bitter stories.

Not everyone wants to PvP. A lot of people don't PvP because it's not twitchy. So stop harping on the same tired old cries about the game! You've cancelled your account, so just leave it well alone.

I know a lot of people who have now tested JTL and think it's fantastic. In their opinion it's well worth getting SWG just for this.

please iceman, leave me alone, i have just as much a right to express my opinion on the forums as you do, and i'm not breaking any rules in the charter.

I'm not tainting anyone's opinion, i'm providing truthful information, and if you have logical reasonable arguements to present that counter what I have to say then feel free to do so, obviously you don't which is why you constantly attack me at a personal level.

Did I say everyone WANTS to PvP? no i didn't say that. So if someone doesn't want to PvP my PvP stories won't "taint" their experience will it? In which case it doesn't matter at all. While those who DO want to PvP might wanna know what its like.

This is the way I am, if I go to a resturant and the food is great, I will go there again and again, take my girlfriend, take my friends, and recommend it to everyone I know.

If i go to a resturant and the food/service is crap, then I will stop going there, and advise people I know to do the same. If you can't deal with it, then too bad for you.

Feel free to add me to your ignore lists so you don't have to read my "bitter" stories. But everything I have said about the game is true, and as I said before, your welcome to post counter arguements at any time.

I also know a lot of people who said JTL is crap, but TBH i'm not intersted in commenting on JTL since I haven't played it, just as those who haven't played through a Jedi shouldn't try to pretend they know what its like :)

Again it comes down to your jedi account? Do you use this line in bars when chatting up women? "hey babeh, wanna see my light saber?"

Jedi isn't be all and end all of SWG. You've commented every time on PvP and advised people to stay away from SWG based on that point. What i'm saying, if you'd actually READ my post, is that your views on this may put people off a game as you seem to emphasise everything onto Jedi and pvp. You don't mention that apart from the combat profession and general AFKness, all other professions work fine.

In PvE all elite professions work fine. I don't know of any current problems with any attacks. Armoursmith, droid eng, weaponsmith, chef, all work fine. Merchant is nicely done, and i've just taken this up on another server.

Apart from the AFK side of things, DOC works fine, CM is overpowerful, but that's mainly in PvP again. In PvE, it's necessary in order to be of a lot of use in a group.

Entertainers are getting additional dances, quests and songs to learn.

Image designers have complained that they can't do full ID anywhere, but have to use tents, but then crafters have to stand beside a crafting station, PvE have to go to the kill, and artisan can't move their shop constantly like a mobile.

I'm asking you to word your posts in a way as so not to make it look like Jedi is the only thing in the game. Originally (and in my mind this should hold true) jedi was supposed to be rare and almost unobtainable. They should have only given Jedi accounts to Role playing CSR and left all other professions to standard players. At this point to cry about jedi is pointless - I don't even rate it, because it's not something that half the server should have!

Besides, I thought you already had me on ignore? Must be just like the way you said

To use your own analogy,
    This is the way I am, if I go to a resturant and the food is great, I will go there again and again, take my girlfriend, take my friends, and recommend it to everyone I know.

If i go to a resturant and the food/service is crap, then I will stop going there, and advise people I know to do the same. If you can't deal with it, then too bad for you.

If this restaurant had a bar in it which people frequented, you wouldn't have mentioned that part, though it might have been the best bar in town for atmosphere and service. You've now tainted it in the eyes of your friends and family because you OMITTED certain information.

Yes you have every right to express your opinion here, but then don't then turn and try to belittle my opinion on the game. To say that I don't know what i'm talking about just because I haven't played jedi is condisending, and blinkered. From the sounds of it you've mastered every profession, but haven't played any of them.

The difference between us? You grind the game, I play it.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']Again it comes down to your jedi account? Do you use this line in bars when chatting up women? "hey babeh, wanna see my light saber?"

i don't need to chat up women, have a very nice fiance thanks. And yes to me SW is about jedi. From day 1, I bought the game to play jedi, I worked to play jedi, and so to me its the most important part of the game. And the truth is that if you look at the majority of books/games etc on star wars, most of them are based around jedi aren't they? Except for the recent BH game and the "space" fighting games. Hell the focus of the FILMS were the Jedi.
    Jedi isn't be all and end all of SWG. You've commented every time on PvP and advised people to stay away from SWG based on that point. What i'm saying, if you'd actually READ my post, is that your views on this may put people off a game as you seem to emphasise everything onto Jedi and pvp. You don't mention that apart from the combat profession and general AFKness, all other professions work fine.

That is YOUR opinion. MINE, however differs. Considering the fact that over 50% of the games population is concerned with "jedi", I would say it IS the be all and end all of SWG. Without Jedi it would just be a crappy futuristic MMO with horrible PvP. All other professions work fine? Thats news to me. I wonder if I wandered to the Creature Handler forums for a bit how they would react to this declaration of yours? Or the Pistoleer? Sure there are professions that are happy and I'm not denying that.
    In PvE all elite professions work fine. I don't know of any current problems with any attacks. Armoursmith, droid eng, weaponsmith, chef, all work fine. Merchant is nicely done, and i've just taken this up on another server.

Since when is being able to solo all the endgame PvE content in a game with a single charecter "working fine". Most MMO's require groups of organised players to take down the toughest mobs, when this is reduced to a single player being able to do it, it gets all rather silly doesn't it? There is pleanty of stuff in the game apart from the PvP that is currently broken, that includes the CSR's who have often allowed grifers to get away, and in some well documented cases even assisted griefers in some twisted attempts at logic. I would agree with you that most of the crafting classes work well. So yeah the crafting aspect is nice for chefs. But how many players do you know are starting SWG to play a chef? I would say that currently MOST elite combat proffs are severely over powered in PvE. I mean there is no more such a thing as a GROUP, instead everyone plays in SOLO-GROUPs, where you get people grouping together only to get higher level missions, but each player soloing his/her mission. Wow what a lovely social dynamic in an MMO.

I'd also say that the ability to master ELITE COMBAT professions, in 8 hours is pretty broken, wouldn't you?
    Apart from the AFK side of things, DOC works fine, CM is overpowerful, but that's mainly in PvP again. In PvE, it's necessary in order to be of a lot of use in a group.

Doc buffs are overpowered, CM has been nerfed, but is still over pwoered in PvP, in PvE it doesn't matter because people rarely group anymore. I mean they MIGHT, MIGHT group up to hunt NS's or Krayts, but many players are easily able to go at it alone.
    Entertainers are getting additional dances, quests and songs to learn.

Image designers have complained that they can't do full ID anywhere, but have to use tents, but then crafters have to stand beside a crafting station, PvE have to go to the kill, and artisan can't move their shop constantly like a mobile.

Image design, can't remember the last time I saw a Master ID in game when I was playing, and oh I was looking pretty hard too.
    I'm asking you to word your posts in a way as so not to make it look like Jedi is the only thing in the game. Originally (and in my mind this should hold true) jedi was supposed to be rare and almost unobtainable. They should have only given Jedi accounts to Role playing CSR and left all other professions to standard players. At this point to cry about jedi is pointless - I don't even rate it, because it's not something that half the server should have!

Jedi isn't the "only" thing in game, but its the "thing" in game that most of the player base, and most star wars fans care about for one reason or another. Let me give you a newsflash, without player jedi, the game would have died at birth. The reason the majority of the players PLAYED this game, and continue to play it is because of JEDI. Go back over the past year and look at any advertisement for SWG and tell me how many times jedi is mentioned/focussed/shown. Its the carrot on the stick, for the majority of players. You don't care about jedi, good for you, but I do, and so do a lot of other players.
    Besides, I thought you already had me on ignore? Must be just like the way you said

no i said i would add you to ignore if you continued posting personal attacks against me, and that offer still stands :P
    To use your own analogy,

If this restaurant had a bar in it which people frequented, you wouldn't have mentioned that part, though it might have been the best bar in town for atmosphere and service. You've now tainted it in the eyes of your friends and family because you OMITTED certain information.

I don't drink, so tbh, i don't care how the bar is. Just as for me Jedi is the main point of SWG, and so that is what I will focus on. You are welcome to focus on whatever aspect you want. But I suspect you already know that the majority of people who would want to play SWG, would also be interested in the Jedi aspect, and they would be rightfully turned off by what I have to say, as they should be, because the implementation of jedi in this game has been extremely badly done by SOE.

I also consider PvP in an MMO to be important. So I focus on that as well. As for PvE, well every 2nd MMO out there boasts to be a PvE fest, Jedi and the GCW, are what is supposed to make THIS game unique.
    Yes you have every right to express your opinion here, but then don't then turn and try to belittle my opinion on the game. To say that I don't know what i'm talking about just because I haven't played jedi is condisending, and blinkered. From the sounds of it you've mastered every profession, but haven't played any of them.

but the truth is, that when it comes to Jedi, you really DON'T know what you are talking about. Nothing condescending about that. How can you know about it when you haven't had any experience, or even seen someone play it? I've played pleanty of professions. At least the combat related ones. My main is a Master Rifle/Master CM, which is still rediculously overpowered in PvP to the point of being a joke.
    The difference between us? You grind the game, I play it.

And here is where your lack of knowledge about Jedi shows. I grind because I was forced to, because it was the only way I could get Jedi. I would have been happy role playing and evil bastard, walking around screwing things over, back stabbing friends, in order to progress to a Dark jedi. But SOE made it so that I would have to GRIND to get jedi, despite their grandeous claims of, "becoming a jedi will never require you to do anything that is repetitive as that is against the very idea of jedi." So blame them not me. The same comes to playing the jedi itself. I'd love to role play my Dark jedi, or even a light jedi, but I can't, because the game's mechanic means its my destiny if I want to play the game to grind endlessly on Endor, alone, without being able to group with my friends, and being constantly hunted by 12 year old kids that get a kick out of griefing other people but are far to cowardly to go Overt if they want a real fight.

Sadly, there is actually very little content in this game for the combat professions, and this is "made up for" by SOE by making an intolerable jedi grind, to unlock and to master. Because while people work towards that goal, they are paying subs, and THAT is the "content". I've solo'd pretty much every creature in the game, including giant canyon krayts etc.

Ironically I had to get up at 4 am to do it, after sever restarts, because the Krayts had the most desirable item drops in the game and hence were CONSTANTLY camped, with players being able to steal your kills etc. happily. But thats another story isn't it?

For a profession to be broken it would need to have been intended in another way. 8 hours to grind a profession? Which one? I managed fencer in 18 hours and I pushed it damn hard - i'd love to know how you master in 8 hours.

Groups still happen. Things you need to consider here.....though it's an MMO, a lot of people don't want to group together. When they do you generally find them in PvP - yes there are huge groups of people who do this - they're called GANK SQUADS.

I frequently group with my friends and my guild mates. We do krayt hunts with non riflemen/cms because we want to do it for fun. But I wouldn't complain that I could manage to kill a krayt myself, if that is, I didn't ever want to play with other people.

Master ID? I know 2 in my city alone, nm outside of that. You haven't looked hard enough.

As for Jedi, I never claimed to know anything about playing the jedi, I simply stated that being a jedi or getting to jedi wasn't the only thing in the game.

50% of the server population want Jedi? I'd love to see where you got this statistic? Isn't it a fact that 96% of all statistics are made up? hehe

Look, simply put, I know loads of people who play the game because they like it, and not because of Jedi. Loads who love to go BH just to kill jedi. Loads who play for the ROLE PLAY ASPECT OF THE GAME (which as you admitted yourself is non existant with jedi). Loads who play for the MMO side of it. Loads who play now because they came back for JTL and enjoy it.

If you just want to be a jedi in a multiplayer sitatution, go buy Jedi Academy - they're all jedi. If you want to play a mmoROLE PLAYING game, and not role play, then don't complain about how others play or don't play it.

And understand this - nomatter how much you say you bought the game for jedi, and even considering I originally bought it to TRY to get a jedi, the game was not designed for everyone to attain Jedi. Hence it taking nearly a YEAR for the first jedi to appear in the game. And I remember the day - it was the day I started playing. And everyone was in awe - and it was at that point that everyone started copying the way that player had reached it. Even down to creaturs they had killed, number of deaths, places they'd visited - fecking food they had eaten.

All of the little statistic whores cramed in all the facts until the next jedi appeared.....then the next..and the next....

I remember the first day she appeared - it was such a rare occassion and a celebration. That was the way it should be! Now it's just "have you got your jedi yet?" "Nope....should have it by next week" "Cool". Where's the mystery in that any more?

I look at you as the reason why the game is collapsing - the grinder. The jedi profession hunter, who drains the server of resources to attain jedi, with possibly afk play in entertainer professions, and buying/grinding for crafting professions - healing tumblers for medical professions etc. People who don't PLAY the game, but rather GRIND the game - then complain when they get there.

Well here's the way I see it (And yes this is my opinion, but also the opinion of so many others). What's the rush? Why do you want everything now? General progression through simply playing the game and EXPLORING every profession, rather than grinding, would more than likely give a greater satisfaction of the game itself.

I spent 6 months slowly going to BH before I got bored of BH at the time, and moved onto something else. But I wouldn't have changed it. That was my character at the time and what I wanted to do. I didn't push it, and so I watched countless friends around me cancelling their account because they'd done their 4 holos already and ground about 20 professions. They couldn't grind any more and gave up. They didn't play the game.

In the end they missed out on the real point of the game mmoROLE PLAYING game. That doesn't mean you have to stay in character, but if you go chef, you do it to make food. If you go entertainer you do it to dance or play music. If you go doc you do it to heal people - it's not just about cash, it's not just about the grind. It's about playing.

Did you forget how to PLAY games along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Memnoch wrote:
    That is YOUR opinion. MINE, however differs. Considering the fact that over 50% of the games population is concerned with "jedi", I would say it IS the be all and end all of SWG. Without Jedi it would just be a crappy futuristic MMO with horrible PvP.

Jesus H F*cknig Christ!!!

If all you want to do is play Jedi, then - to be perfectly honest - "why the f*ck did you buy this game?". You could have saved yourself so much hassle and just bought Knights of the Old Republic so you could masturbate over a lightsaber all the sooner. Galaxies is not *just* about Jedi, never was *just* about jedi, and never will be *just* about jedi. In fact I can probably go so far as to say jedi is a small part of the game - a possible reward for playing the game for so long. The game has a far larger focus than *just* to be jedi. It's about the StarWars universe, which last time I checked, didn't consist of *just* jedi.

I've been playing since late Decemeber and I love the game. I don't pVp, and I'm not particularly inclined to become a jedi either. I enjoy doing what I do, although granted - climbing the Weaponsmith tree is a pain in the ass, but there ye go. I enjoy doing hunts/quests with my guild-mates and interacting with others on the server - rather than just "power-playing". I enjoy taking weapons orders and then fulfilling them, selling stuff, getting bigger and better equipment to further what I'm doing. etc

Jedi? Force powers? ah!! A gamer craves not these things!

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']For a profession to be broken it would need to have been intended in another way. 8 hours to grind a profession? Which one? I managed fencer in 18 hours and I pushed it damn hard - i'd love to know how you master in 8 hours.

the broken intended arguement is rubbish. There are countless instances where devs say its "working as intended" while professions/classes are broken. Remember wookies not having armor was "working as intended". This is a really weak arguement. Swordsman can be mastered in 8 hours, there was a post on SWG forums from a guy who did it. But even if we say 18 hours for an average profession taking you're figure, thats still PRETTY DAMN FAST in comparison to any game. :)
    Groups still happen. Things you need to consider here.....though it's an MMO, a lot of people don't want to group together. When they do you generally find them in PvP - yes there are huge groups of people who do this - they're called GANK SQUADS.

PvE groups rarely happen. MMO's are all about social interaction and interactivity, thats the general basic design, different classes are supposed to work together and complement each other in a group, to achieve goals. Thats what made MMO's hugely popular in the first place. If there is no grouping, you might as well play a single player game, i mean if you're not going to interact with people does it matter if they are people or NPCs? And yes gank squads are a problem. But thats because of the zerg fest related nature of SWG PvP.
    I frequently group with my friends and my guild mates. We do krayt hunts with non riflemen/cms because we want to do it for fun. But I wouldn't complain that I could manage to kill a krayt myself, if that is, I didn't ever want to play with other people.

but you shouldn't be able to kill a krayt yourself, its silly, maybe MAYBE a very powerful Master Jedi should be able to kill a krayt on his own, not some pesky fencer :) Doesn't that go against your star wars role playing ehos? But even barring that, it just doesn't make sense in an MMORPG context.
    Master ID? I know 2 in my city alone, nm outside of that. You haven't looked hard enough.

were none on my server when I was looking.
    As for Jedi, I never claimed to know anything about playing the jedi, I simply stated that being a jedi or getting to jedi wasn't the only thing in the game.

sure it isn't I never said it was the ONLY thing. But it IS the only thing that has kept this game going. Take player jedi out completely tomorrow, and watch the game collapse.
    50% of the server population want Jedi? I'd love to see where you got this statistic? Isn't it a fact that 96% of all statistics are made up? hehe

there have been numerous surveys on stratics etc. In fact Before the game launched there was a huge survey on the official forums, and something like 76% of people said they wanted a jedi. Even SOE have admitted that a large proportion of players are striving towards this goal. I picked 50% to err on the side of caution, i'd venture its probably a fair bit higher than that.
    Look, simply put, I know loads of people who play the game because they like it, and not because of Jedi. Loads who love to go BH just to kill jedi.

Griefers? cowards? people who enjoy ruining someone else's fun in a game. Who are too affraid to go Overt and PvP on the real battlefield but happy to take 80k mission on low level jedi that haven't a hope in hell of fighting back. Sure its fun to be in a win win situation, who wouldn't enjoy it? Makes me sick.
    Loads who play for the ROLE PLAY ASPECT OF THE GAME (which as you admitted yourself is non existant with jedi). Loads who play for the MMO side of it. Loads who play now because they came back for JTL and enjoy it.

really? how many role playing guilds are there? is there a role playing server? I played DAOC and most servers had role playing guilds that had huge memberships. There are even pure role playing servers. Is there ROLE PLAYING in SWG? sure I don't deny that, but its few and far between. Again thats largely a fault of the dev's not implementing role play like jedi play instead they made it a boring grind.
    If you just want to be a jedi in a multiplayer sitatution, go buy Jedi Academy - they're all jedi. If you want to play a mmoROLE PLAYING game, and not role play, then don't complain about how others play or don't play it.

I'm not complaining about how others play unless they are griefing, in which case I have every right to complain. Other than that I don't care how others play, they can enjoy the game however they want to. I fail to see where I was complaining about others enjoying the game? (again the exception being griefers). You want to SOLO play be my guest. But if you're going to go solo krayts in an MMO you might as well do it single player? Why pay a monthly sub for a glorified chat channel if you don't wanna play with others? As for wanting to play jedi, I want to play a jedi in a living star wars universe, SWG was supposed to give me that, it didn't :) I wasn't the one that made promises to the player base.
    And understand this - nomatter how much you say you bought the game for jedi, and even considering I originally bought it to TRY to get a jedi, the game was not designed for everyone to attain Jedi. Hence it taking nearly a YEAR for the first jedi to appear in the game. And I remember the day - it was the day I started playing. And everyone was in awe - and it was at that point that everyone started copying the way that player had reached it. Even down to creaturs they had killed, number of deaths, places they'd visited - fecking food they had eaten.

the problem you don't realise, is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have "jedi" in game AND to have them be "Rare". Quite simply Jedi are THE MOST desirable aspect of Star wars, seeing as how most games are based on them. So no matter how "rare" the system is, there will always be many jedi, because such a large proportion of the player base will do anything to get one. Your above example illustrates it. The only way to make jedi rare is to make jedi "unfun" to make being a jedi completely opposite of what the whole idea of a "Jedi" is. That is the route SOE have gone down unfortunately. THey have single handedly destroyed the concept of Jedi through in this game, which is self-defeating. Remember no one pays to play a game to not have fun.
    All of the little statistic whores cramed in all the facts until the next jedi appeared.....then the next..and the next....

and this is how it will be as long as Jedi exist in SWGs. And don't think that removing jedi entirely would fix things, the day jedi are removed is the day the game collapses in on itself, though i'm not sure it won't do that anyways.
    I remember the first day she appeared - it was such a rare occassion and a celebration. That was the way it should be! Now it's just "have you got your jedi yet?" "Nope....should have it by next week" "Cool". Where's the mystery in that any more?

and thats because SOE have made attaining jedi a "formula" a "grind", instead of role playing the way it should have been.

I look at you as the reason why the game is collapsing - the grinder.

How silly. you think i ENJOYED grinding? No, I didn't. I did it because it was the only way to attain jedi. And since jedi is what I wanted in the game, I had no choice. If you want to blame someone, blame SOE for coming up with such a disingenous system.
    The jedi profession hunter, who drains the server of resources to attain jedi, with possibly afk play in entertainer professions, and buying/grinding for crafting professions - healing tumblers for medical professions etc. People who don't PLAY the game, but rather GRIND the game - then complain when they get there.

how foolish. Jedi DROVE the games economy for a long time. By grinding through professions they created groups for other people to join up. By crafting they created a market for resources. Then there was an entire economy revolving around pearls/crystals/holocrons. Jedi hopefuls purchasing sets of armor over and over again as they wore out the old ones, buying weapons, buying food. Then they unlocked and all made their mains into crafters, supplying armor/weapons/foods/droids/buffs/high qual resources at cheap prices, in order to get money for their pearls/crystals. Jedi DRIVE the economy. Most player Jedi have 2/3 accounts, most regular players don't. And again if you want to complain about GRINDING do so to SOE, they designed the system, we simply tried to play through it.
    Well here's the way I see it (And yes this is my opinion, but also the opinion of so many others). What's the rush? Why do you want everything now?

everything? No I don't want everything. I want to play Jedi, because to ME (and yes this is my opinion, but also the opinion of so many others), Star wars is ABOUT JEDI. And really watching the movies does make it seem like its about the jedi ? I don't want to play a swordsman, or a CM or a rifleman or a chef etc etc etc, but I was forced to play them in order to be able to play what I wanted, so I had to "grind" through them as fast as I could. Blame SOE for forcing me to do all those professions so I could play the one i really wanted.
    General progression through simply playing the game and EXPLORING every profession, rather than grinding, would more than likely give a greater satisfaction of the game itself.

why should I explore every profession? Just a few paragraphs ago you were preaching about letting people play the way they want? now you are complaining about my style of play? and that of other Jedi hopefuls? Make up your mind. I have no interest in "every profession", I liked the idea of TKA and so my first mastery was TKA/DOC which i played for a while as i accumulated money and holo's for the grind. I enjoyed that, but other than that, the other professions didn't really interst me.

Maybe you would enjoy killing the same quenkers again and agian in order to master every profession and "Play through it", but i don't think most people do, thats why its called a grind.
    I spent 6 months slowly going to BH before I got bored of BH at the time, and moved onto something else. But I wouldn't have changed it. That was my character at the time and what I wanted to do. I didn't push it, and so I watched countless friends around me cancelling their account because they'd done their 4 holos already and ground about 20 professions. They couldn't grind any more and gave up. They didn't play the game.

Just goes to show, maybe your friends didn't ENJOY the game that SOE had created? Its not up to the players to play the game the dev's WANT THEM TO, but rather for the DEV's to make the game such that players enjoy playing it whatever their playstyle. SOE clearly failed in this. They forced people to grind professions they didn't want to play so that they could get the 1 profession they wanted to play. It was the perpetual carrot on the stick. Off course they quit! SOE should have either not have put jedi in the game (in which case the game would have collapsed much sooner anyways), or have made the method to obtain jedi be non-grind based. They created a system that wasn't any fun, so players quit. Don't blame the players.

Its good you enjoyed 6 months on your BH, good for you, but don't expect me to do the same just because its what YOU enjoy.
    In the end they missed out on the real point of the game mmoROLE PLAYING game. That doesn't mean you have to stay in character, but if you go chef, you do it to make food. If you go entertainer you do it to dance or play music. If you go doc you do it to heal people - it's not just about cash, it's not just about the grind. It's about playing.

no, in the end you miss out on the REAL point, that there is very little mmoROLE PLAYING in the game, the game does not fascilitate it. Especially by forcing players into professions they don't enjoy. Playing what? I and MANY MANY others who played this game wanted to play Jedi, as was advertised/promised, and those who weren't happy that they couldn't do that, quit, why play when you're not having fun?

Are you now going to define how everyone should have fun in a game in a certain way because your infinite wisdom deems it appropriate ?
    Did you forget how to PLAY games along the way?

I did want to PLAY, i would have if SOE had let me. Did you forget that games are meant to be FUN? People don't like to play a game thats not FUN. To most people that wanted Jedi, the other professions WERE NOT fun, hence the grinding.

Blame the cause, not the effect.

Lemming wrote:
    Jesus H F*cknig Christ!!!

If all you want to do is play Jedi, then - to be perfectly honest - "why the f*ck did you buy this game?". You could have saved yourself so much hassle and just bought Knights of the Old Republic so you could masturbate over a lightsaber all the sooner. Galaxies is not *just* about Jedi, never was *just* about jedi, and never will be *just* about jedi. In fact I can probably go so far as to say jedi is a small part of the game - a possible reward for playing the game for so long. The game has a far larger focus than *just* to be jedi. It's about the StarWars universe, which last time I checked, didn't consist of *just* jedi.

I've been playing since late Decemeber and I love the game. I don't pVp, and I'm not particularly inclined to become a jedi either. I enjoy doing what I do, although granted - climbing the Weaponsmith tree is a pain in the ass, but there ye go. I enjoy doing hunts/quests with my guild-mates and interacting with others on the server - rather than just "power-playing". I enjoy taking weapons orders and then fulfilling them, selling stuff, getting bigger and better equipment to further what I'm doing. etc

Jedi? Force powers? ah!! A gamer craves not these things!

i'm not going to qualify your weak insults with a reply.

You love the game, great good for you. Unfortunately the aspects of the game you enjoy are not important to me. I've no interst in crafting, I did all the hunts long ago, and if I wanted a glorified chat room I could just go into IRC.

and I advise you to go look at all the advertisements about SWG anywhere in the last year or so, and THEN come back and tell me its "not about" Jedi. but i won't bother repeating myself.

You feel the game is suited to your play style, good for you. Its not suited to mine, that doesn't make you superior in anyway or your play style superior either. I'm sorry my play style doesn't appease you, I will try harder to play the game the way you and iceman would like me to play it because clearly its the only way that it should be played, oh superior one.

the broken intended arguement is rubbish. There are countless instances where devs say its "working as intended" while professions/classes are broken. Remember wookies not having armor was "working as intended". This is a really weak arguement. Swordsman can be mastered in 8 hours, there was a post on SWG forums from a guy who did it. But even if we say 18 hours for an average profession taking you're figure, thats still PRETTY DAMN FAST in comparison to any game

Yeah wookies not having armour was intended - if you recall, when the game first came out they were much MUCH tougher than every other profession. Giving other professions armour was to even this out. It wasn't until buffs were increased to such a high extent that armour was necessary for them, and accordingly the devs brought it in (albeit late).

If you're comparing this to other games then you're wrong. You can't compare it because it's not meant to be the same. If it was the same as another game I would go play that one and might stick to it if I liked it more than the star wars setting.
    PvE groups rarely happen. MMO's are all about social interaction and interactivity, thats the general basic design, different classes are supposed to work together and complement each other in a group, to achieve goals. Thats what made MMO's hugely popular in the first place. If there is no grouping, you might as well play a single player game, i mean if you're not going to interact with people does it matter if they are people or NPCs? And yes gank squads are a problem. But thats because of the zerg fest related nature of SWG PvP.

Ah now hold on. PvE groups? OK you're specifying again. You don't have to PvE to group, and the social aspect of MMORPG can be achieved just by actually SPEAKING to people in the game. You don't have to group and kill hordes of creatures for it to maintain its purpose as an MMORPG. Infact if it were just about that, go play CS - you group with people to beat the other team.

Interaction with NPCs and real people is slightly different. If you can't TELL the difference I wouldn't think your social skills were very good. It's nice to talk to people who can think for themselves.
    but you shouldn't be able to kill a krayt yourself, its silly, maybe MAYBE a very powerful Master Jedi should be able to kill a krayt on his own, not some pesky fencer Doesn't that go against your star wars role playing ehos? But even barring that, it just doesn't make sense in an MMORPG context

OK firstly you can't solo a krayt as a fencer. You'll go splat :D. You can solo a krayt as a rifleman purely because of conceal shot, and you're screwed in anything larger than a baby krayt (some people can solo canyon). I do agree that it shouldn't happen, but this is 1 thing. A TKM however, managing to kill a squill (originally not meant to be solo'd either when the game FIRST came out) on his own at same height and even lesser build - that makes sense. It's a case of knit picking now.
    were none on my server when I was looking

How did you search? Did you ask in planet chat where only maybe 1-5% of the planet poluation ever look? Or checking name tags? whereas not everyone wears their tags? Did you /tell people and ask every one? Or did you just guess that after never having seen any while leveling your jedi in remote areas, that it must have meant that there were none on the server at all?
    sure it isn't I never said it was the ONLY thing. But it IS the only thing that has kept this game going. Take player jedi out completely tomorrow, and watch the game collapse

BS! plain BS! I've already stated that it was a year before the first Jedi appeared, and it was only at that point that people realised there was a path to getting it. Infact it's the Jedi quest which has nearly killed the game. People afking professions, using up resources to grind quickly, and then gank squads when they jedi reach a usable skill level. By your logic the game should have collapsed before the first jedi appeared - strangely, it was going strong...VERY strong!
    there have been numerous surveys on stratics etc. In fact Before the game launched there was a huge survey on the official forums, and something like 76% of people said they wanted a jedi. Even SOE have admitted that a large proportion of players are striving towards this goal. I picked 50% to err on the side of caution, i'd venture its probably a fair bit higher than that.

Yeah, I want a jedi as well. But I want it on my terms, and in the sense that I see a jedi. That isn't the case here, so I don't want a Jedi in THIS game. If such a high % of the server actually wanted a jedi so badly, then 76% of the server would be Jedi - it's wasn't that much of a tax on your brain to think - grind = jedi, if I grind, I get a jedi.
    Griefers? cowards? people who enjoy ruining someone else's fun in a game. Who are too affraid to go Overt and PvP on the real battlefield but happy to take 80k mission on low level jedi that haven't a hope in hell of fighting back. Sure its fun to be in a win win situation, who wouldn't enjoy it? Makes me sick.

Griefers? Cowards? Oh come on. The fact that the idea of a BH is to go out and collect a bounty, and you call them griefers and cowards because of that? No I don't see it as such. A BH is meant to sneak up on you. If he walked up and said "I intend to kill you" and had a TEF, you'd kill him before he got a chance to get a shot off. The point is like an assassin - he's meant to be sneaky. Jedi knew about BH kills on them before they went Jedi. If you didn't want the risk (same as a rebel or imp declaring then going overt) then don't go Jedi. You can't expect to be the most powerful pvp character in the game and not have anyone able to do anything to you. That would be cowardly, and griefing any non Jedi in pvp.
    really? how many role playing guilds are there? is there a role playing server? I played DAOC and most servers had role playing guilds that had huge memberships. There are even pure role playing servers. Is there ROLE PLAYING in SWG? sure I don't deny that, but its few and far between. Again thats largely a fault of the dev's not implementing role play like jedi play instead they made it a boring grind.

There's a few that I know of as a pure RP guild. There's mostly guilds who are RP friendly (ours is) and then there's guilds who are just for PvP. TBH the PvP guilds are the ones I would look down on the most. They generate gank squads which everyone looks down on.

So it's the devs fault about Role play? Yet you are happy to PvP and kill large things yourself? (you said so by your rifleman/CM profession). You want it both ways eh? It's people like you who make life difficult for ANY game developers. You want everything your way, and it contradicts at every point.
    I'm not complaining about how others play unless they are griefing, in which case I have every right to complain. Other than that I don't care how others play, they can enjoy the game however they want to. I fail to see where I was complaining about others enjoying the game? (again the exception being griefers). You want to SOLO play be my guest. But if you're going to go solo krayts in an MMO you might as well do it single player? Why pay a monthly sub for a glorified chat channel if you don't wanna play with others? As for wanting to play jedi, I want to play a jedi in a living star wars universe, SWG was supposed to give me that, it didn't I wasn't the one that made promises to the player base

So firstly you say you shouldn't solo - now you're saying it's OK if you solo, just leave you out of it?

As for wanting to play a jedi in a living star wars universe, this, as i've stated countless times, and ask any dev, was NOT the intention when the game first came out. But I guess they could never have estimated the amount of sad little grinders seeking the end product of a jedi, then complaining that it wasn't what they expected.

You say that it was meant to be worth it? Mysterious and powerful? OK now about it's mysterious because of the visibility system - you have to fade into mystery to not end up on the terminals (yes I agree that's currently broken but then you wait, you get what you wait for). The powerful side, you are the most powerful PvP player in the game. Though other players can stack various professions, that's not just 1 pvp profession. In a straight profession for profession, Jedi outpowers ALL other professions - if you want to complain about mixed pvp professions, why not add TK or fencer to your jedi template?

• Advertisement

the problem you don't realise, is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have "jedi" in game AND to have them be "Rare". Quite simply Jedi are THE MOST desirable aspect of Star wars, seeing as how most games are based on them. So no matter how "rare" the system is, there will always be many jedi, because such a large proportion of the player base will do anything to get one. Your above example illustrates it. The only way to make jedi rare is to make jedi "unfun" to make being a jedi completely opposite of what the whole idea of a "Jedi" is. That is the route SOE have gone down unfortunately. THey have single handedly destroyed the concept of Jedi through in this game, which is self-defeating. Remember no one pays to play a game to not have fun

impossible to have hedi and have then rare? I agree. You can't have them as rare things, if everyone goes for them. And to help this.....you went jedi.
    No on pays to play a game to not have fun? I would think to agree, but by your own admission you ground jedi and it wasn't fun for you. Yet you paid to do it. So either you're wrong on this point, or....well i'll say no more on this because you'll say i'm aiming this at you and not your post.
    and this is how it will be as long as Jedi exist in SWGs. And don't think that removing jedi entirely would fix things, the day jedi are removed is the day the game collapses in on itself, though i'm not sure it won't do that anyways.

I completely disagree. As stated above, it would have collapsed long before the first jedi appeared then.
    and thats because SOE have made attaining jedi a "formula" a "grind", instead of role playing the way it should have been.

Of course it's a forumula. All programming is a formula. As for the grind aspect - the difference between grind and playing is a grind is trying to get somewhere as quickly as possible. Playing, is just carrying out the actions at a normal pace with the intention of getting there, but not being in a rush to do it.
    how foolish. Jedi DROVE the games economy for a long time. By grinding through professions they created groups for other people to join up. By crafting they created a market for resources. Then there was an entire economy revolving around pearls/crystals/holocrons. Jedi hopefuls purchasing sets of armor over and over again as they wore out the old ones, buying weapons, buying food. Then they unlocked and all made their mains into crafters, supplying armor/weapons/foods/droids/buffs/high qual resources at cheap prices, in order to get money for their pearls/crystals. Jedi DRIVE the economy. Most player Jedi have 2/3 accounts, most regular players don't. And again if you want to complain about GRINDING do so to SOE, they designed the system, we simply tried to play through it.

Drove it into a terrible state. Buffs were 5k when the game started. Now they're 20-30k. This happened because of so many people looking for buffs for grinding jedi professions, and using up resources to go doc themselves to chalk up 1 extra prof.
    It makes it very difficult for the new players now in a world where everything costs so much. Want transport to keep up with your PvE group? Buy a speeder - what? 20k? But I just got the game, I started with 200 credits and no way to make that kind of money fast. Oh...ok then....I guess the jedi grind driving up the economy is satisfaction enough to my plight.....pffft
    why should I explore every profession? Just a few paragraphs ago you were preaching about letting people play the way they want? now you are complaining about my style of play? and that of other Jedi hopefuls? Make up your mind. I have no interest in "every profession", I liked the idea of TKA and so my first mastery was TKA/DOC which i played for a while as i accumulated money and holo's for the grind. I enjoyed that, but other than that, the other professions didn't really interst me.

You have a jedi right now. One that as you say you've leveled up. That means you haven't just got it from the village quests. It means you HAVE ground through nearly every profession (if not them all). So you HAVE played EVERY profession. My point was that rather than exploring them while being them, you simply ticked them off as you mastered them.
    Just goes to show, maybe your friends didn't ENJOY the game that SOE had created? Its not up to the players to play the game the dev's WANT THEM TO, but rather for the DEV's to make the game such that players enjoy playing it whatever their playstyle. SOE clearly failed in this. They forced people to grind professions they didn't want to play so that they could get the 1 profession they wanted to play. It was the perpetual carrot on the stick. Off course they quit! SOE should have either not have put jedi in the game (in which case the game would have collapsed much sooner anyways), or have made the method to obtain jedi be non-grind based. They created a system that wasn't any fun, so players quit. Don't blame the players.

OK fact - every person i'm talking about ground professions rather than playing them. They all left.

ok right now STOP saying the game will collapse without jedi. It won't. It hasn't before, it won't do now. If it collapses it will because OF the jedi.
    no, in the end you miss out on the REAL point, that there is very little mmoROLE PLAYING in the game, the game does not fascilitate it. Especially by forcing players into professions they don't enjoy. Playing what? I and MANY MANY others who played this game wanted to play Jedi, as was advertised/promised, and those who weren't happy that they couldn't do that, quit, why play when you're not having fun?

There is loads of role playing in the game. You don't even need to have role playing to do it. It's putting yourself into a role as a character and sticking to that. The fact that you don't seem to realise this means most of your argument is pointless.

Players were not forced into professions. They chose them. Nobody was forced to go jedi. They chose it.

we are going in circles now, and I don't see the point of repeating myself, so i'll leave you with the last word Iceman :)

that doesn't mean I won't comment about SWG in another post or whatever if I want to :P

You love the game, great good for you. Unfortunately the aspects of the game you enjoy are not important to me. I've no interst in crafting, I did all the hunts long ago, and if I wanted a glorified chat room I could just go into IRC.

That's the problem here. You seem intent on this game being purely made to please you. Get over your own ego. You are telling people the game is crap and that it's not worth getting - that's based on YOUR opinion, on how it doesn't suit YOU! My point all along is that your comments are offputting to potential players, and it's based entirely on a BIAS opinion of the game by a self centred player who feels like a whine on a public forum.
    You feel the game is suited to your play style, good for you. Its not suited to mine, that doesn't make you superior in anyway or your play style superior either. I'm sorry my play style doesn't appease you, I will try harder to play the game the way you and iceman would like me to play it because clearly its the only way that it should be played, oh superior one.

And it doesn't make you superior. Yet you keep trying to imply that you are. That's the general attitude i've found from JEDI grinders. They want to be superior and grind a profession they think will make them as such.

I'm trying to just comment on your replies rather than you, but tbh your attitude towards the game, and now towards anybody who wants to discuss the point, is sickening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I've been reading this thread since it started, as I do with most interesting threads on the MMORPG board. Played SWG for a couple of months, got bored, moved on.

I feel I have to speak up to say that I think Memnoch has been fair in his posts. I havent seen him distort the truth, or be unreasonable. The replies have seemed to me more likely to tend to the personal level, ignore his points, and to treat his perfectly valid desire to play the game his way, the way SOE claimed he could, as somehow invalid.

I wouldn't have bothered posting this but I felt things were starting to look like an angry mob vs 1 and I personally find Memnochs posts interesting.

Greg

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']That's the problem here. You seem intent on this game being purely made to please you. Get over your own ego. You are telling people the game is crap and that it's not worth getting - that's based on YOUR opinion

When did I say it was MORE than my opinion? (and if you read the jedi forums you will see a lot of similar opinions from other Jedi) Off course its my opinion, whose else's opinion would it be? I'm telling the people that in my opinion the game is crap and not worth getting because of my experiences. And they are free to do as they choose, i'm not holding a gun to anyone's head. Simply stating my negative experience with the game.
    on how it doesn't suit YOU! My point all along is that your comments are offputting to potential players, and it's based entirely on a BIAS opinion of the game by a self centred player who feels like a whine on a public forum.

What are you affraid of??
    If someone is put off playing the game based on my opinion, then perhaps you should consider that they wouldn't have enjoyed the game? Because perhaps they are put off as they care about the same things in the game that I did?
    If they don't care about the same thigns in the game as I do, then it doesn't matter. Becuase they will simply ignore my opinions.
    But you are now resorting to petty personal insults, which is really unnecessary. You can say i am biased, but isn't that just your opinion?
    And it doesn't make you superior. Yet you keep trying to imply that you are. That's the general attitude i've found from JEDI grinders. They want to be superior and grind a profession they think will make them as such.

sorry if thats your perception, but I don't agree with it.
    I'm trying to just comment on your replies rather than you, but tbh your attitude towards the game, and now towards anybody who wants to discuss the point, is sickening!

how neat, you make personal insults then try to boast about your morality and how you wish to refrain from petty insults, make up your mind one way or the other.

To conclude...

YOU enjoy the game, GOOD, i'm HAPPY for you. You are obviously playing the game and still enjoying it, and you have your reasons for doing so. Did I ask you to stop playing and cancel your account? Did I ask you to stop encouraging people from playing the game?

I don't enjoy the game and so I stopped playing it, and I have my reasons for doing so. My reasons are just as valid as yours.

Insisting that because I don't enjoy the game the way you do somehow makes me seflish and self-centered is a very fanboi attitude.
    I am dissatisfied with the game as a product that i paid for, and I have voiced that dissatisfaction, you are welcome to disagree, but there is no reason to try and demonize me for it.

Btw thanks greg for sticking up for me :P

Vinny.

edit. P.S. btw, i'm curious, did you go yelling at your friends for being self-centered and biased, and not playing the game the way the should when they quit the game?

edit p.p.s. this is my last post in this thread, make of that what you will.

My original point was as a request to watch the way you were wording your posts. Though you say that it won't affect the people who don't want to go jedi in the game, from the way you were wording your posts they would be hard pressed to think there was anything else in the game to do.

The number of replies i've given so far have been to provide an argument to dispute your points, as you requested.

But my original point still stands. Can you simply point out when posting that jedi is not the only thing worth playing for, so that potential players aren't put off before they have a chance to try it themselves.

And to your question about my friends? No of course I didn't yell at them :). But I did feel sorry for them losing interest in a game they had looked forward to so much. It was simply that they got caught up in the grind. It's something i've seen too many times in the game. Whereas the people who are happy to take time to sit in a cantina, buy a drink and have a chat (obviously not all the time, but when you can't take time out even for this once a week....) are those who are still enjoying the game.

When I upgraded my card I spent a week wandering around looking at the graphics :)

IMO (and again it is only my opinion) it's more a case of appreciating what you have rather than resenting what you don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Memnoch wrote:
    i'm not going to qualify your weak insults with a reply.

Well, I'd have believed you, except you went and replied .....

and I advise you to go look at all the advertisements about SWG anywhere in the last year or so, and THEN come back and tell me its "not about" Jedi. but i won't bother repeating myself.

Please, do repeat yourself. You do it so well. So often. :rolleyes:

I know all about the advertisements and I've watched the video footage of jedi doing battle. But it was always maintained that it was going to be very *bloody* difficult to become a jedi from the outset. Never once did SOE say "hey come on ni man, be a jedi and sit with us and have tea and crumpets". Not once. You led yourself on by choosing to see and hear only the bits YOU wanted to believe. Get over it.

At what point did I say I was "superior" to you or that my play style was "superior" to yours? Stop with the melodrama. My point is quite, quite simple. This game is about the SW universe. Not a small focused segement of it. You knew that, I knwe that, everyone knew that. You chose to accept that and aim for something that you knew would be incredibly difficult to obtain. And when you got it you felt it wasn't worth the effort after all the time you put in.

So once again I ask you, why did you, in all honesty, buy this game? Quite simply, you bought the wrong game and are quite bitter about it now when you could have simply bought another off the shelf ready-to-swing-lightsaber game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

quozl wrote:
    I've been reading this thread since it started, as I do with most interesting threads on the MMORPG board. Played SWG for a couple of months, got bored, moved on.

I feel I have to speak up to say that I think Memnoch has been fair in his posts. I havent seen him distort the truth, or be unreasonable. The replies have seemed to me more likely to tend to the personal level, ignore his points, and to treat his perfectly valid desire to play the game his way, the way SOE claimed he could, as somehow invalid.

I wouldn't have bothered posting this but I felt things were starting to look like an angry mob vs 1 and I personally find Memnochs posts interesting.

Greg
    I couldnt have said it better.

It basically seems to me as if Iceman & co. love the star wars universe. Which is fair enough in its own right. And that is why they keep coming back to the game. Thats fine too, but its not what the rest of us want.

Jedi are the reason Star Wars is so successful, period. Games are based around Jedi, the films, the books etc. etc. There is a not-so-subtle, reoccuring point there.

Take JK2, most people (myself included) just skipped the first 2 levels, because without being a jedi it was just another (albeit badly designed, mindless) FPS but when you got your force powers and lightsaber it made it a pretty special game.

Please Iceman, just accept the fact that you want completely different things out of SWG compared to the majority of us and lets leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Lemming wrote:
    I know all about the advertisements and I've watched the video footage of jedi doing battle. But it was always maintained that it was going to be very *bloody* difficult to become a jedi from the outset. Never once did SOE say "hey come on ni man, be a jedi and sit with us and have tea and crumpets". Not once. You led yourself on by choosing to see and hear only the bits YOU wanted to believe. Get over it.

Thats it, right there. Thats the point you keep missing.
    Its a marketing ploy.

"Come, everyone, come look, quick! We have jedi. Finally you can play them online in a massive persistent world, a mmorpg. Exactly what you've been waiting for. Now, all you have to do is buy the game, pay us a subscription and your set... Oh, wait, no. You have to grind other professions to get access to it. Sure what the hell, how BADLY do you want your jedi. Look, everyone else has one. Come on, keep playing. Just a few more months. Oh look, yes, there it is. Your Jedi. Congratulations. Oh, whats that. You think its crap? Well, yeah, we agree but we're not going to do anything about it. You've already payed us 8 months of subscription fees, we dont really care about you. Haha, you gimp. We know Jedi are 'nerfed' and we're not going to do anything about it. We're sitting on a big pile of money because people keep paying us to WORK just to get something that isnt worth the effort. HAHA, we're marketing kings."

That, in my mind is basically how its going and tbh, having never played SWG and knowing feck all about it, I want no part of it. Simply because, all I really want out of it is to play a jedi. Sure, I might entertain myself along the way with the various other classes but my ultimate goal is Jedi, which is why they put it at the end of a very long stick and wave it above your head. Give us lots of money, put in lots of time and effort and maybe, just maybe you can have it.

And I truly thank Memnoch for giving his insightful knowledge about the game so I can know to avoid it like the plague it seems to be.

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote:
    I couldnt have said it better.

It basically seems to me as if Iceman & co. love the star wars universe. Which is fair enough in its own right. And that is why they keep coming back to the game. Thats fine too, but its not what the rest of us want.

Jedi are the reason Star Wars is so successful, period. Games are based around Jedi, the films, the books etc. etc. There is a not-so-subtle, reoccuring point there.

Take JK2, most people (myself included) just skipped the first 2 levels, because without being a jedi it was just another (albeit badly designed, mindless) FPS but when you got your force powers and lightsaber it made it a pretty special game.

Please Iceman, just accept the fact that you want completely different things out of SWG compared to the majority of us and lets leave it at that.

I'll accept I want different things than other people from the game, but please don't generalise it into "the majority of us".

I have to keep making this point though - the originaly reply was to ask him to watch how he worded his comments as they made out that jedi is the only reason people play the game. It's not. If you can't understand my point, no matter how many times I specifically say it, then what of your replies?

Advertisement