Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Borland BGI Woes

Options
  • 06-10-2004 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Im taking a Digital Image Processing moduel this year. We have to do various image processing techniques (neighbourhood averaging, et al) on images, using c + borland bgi. Cutting this short... I get a list of the images in the specified directory, and load the image selected by the user(input and dir listing done in msdos window) on the borland bgi window. Which is grand.

But this method cannot be continued. We have been told that all input and output should be done through the borland bgi window. Looking at the bgi functions, there's two output functions "outtext(), and outtextxy()", which suck. These functions are nothing like the printf family. You can't use features like "\n" et al. So if i wanted to print the list of files contained in the directory i have to specify the x and y co-ordinates of where i want the text to be displayed on the screen. Also, input can only be taken in using getch()! This is a nightmare!

So what i'm asking is: Does anyone have experience programming in this restricted environment. If so, is there anyway to overcome these restrictions? I can't find anything useful on the api, which i can't look at, at the moment, because http://www.cs.colorado.edu is down.

Thanks alot in advance.
    sjones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I thought I was seeing things when you said BGI (Borland Graphic Interface) - haven't touched it since 89 or 90 - man its old (adds to the gubby feeling I'd guess) - and its slow.

Go up to your lecturer and tell them you want to go directly to the hardware, and that you'll support a few different modes (say VGA mode 18,19 and mode X - hey and maybe even EGA) and that you'll write ALL the atomic routines in assembly - even just to but a pixel on the screen - and when you realise that each mode had different screen layouts and there are NO routines to do anything natively - even with all its faults you may just appreciate atleast having the BGI - thou' it is sh1t :)

If you're short of reference material - yes I'll be happy to help you (is this not in the BC++ help?). If you do have this reference material, I can't help you - simply because if you can't figure out how to combine little things to make big things - I'd be doing you more a dis-service than a service.

D.

/sorry if that's a bit harsh - I'll help anyway - but it just seems so many ppl aren't bothered anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Danke, i sorted all the problems i was having. But i'm sure i'll run into alot more. If i can't sort them out and they're not in the documentation, i'll drop you a line.
    Thanks alot dazberry.

Advertisement