Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help setting up router, ideas?

• 06-10-2004 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

ok i got this router through a recommendation http://www.solwise.com/adsl-sar-big504amv.htm
    but i have huge trouble in setting it up, basically i have no idea where to start, i do the quick start section in the manual but it doesnt work.
    it says adsl is working but i have no internet connection.

i was told it could be firmware being a uk manufacter and the manual including a guide to PPPoA and not PPPoE.

then i also thought it may be my lan settings.

does anyone have any ideas or just the basic settings i need configured for basic internet and downloading through bittorrent/irc/msn messenger

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Caliden wrote:
    ok i got this router through a recommendation http://www.solwise.com/adsl-sar-big504amv.htm
    but i have huge trouble in setting it up, basically i have no idea where to start, i do the quick start section in the manual but it doesnt work.
    it says adsl is working but i have no internet connection.

i was told it could be firmware being a uk manufacter and the manual including a guide to PPPoA and not PPPoE.

then i also thought it may be my lan settings.

does anyone have any ideas or just the basic settings i need configured for basic internet and downloading through bittorrent/irc/msn messenger

You will need to give details of what exactly you have tried so far and which ISP are you with? Have you put in the set up details that the isp gave you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Hey,

If you want the settings for DSL, they are pretty much the same with all providers since they all just resell the Eircom package.

PPPoE
    VCI / VPI: 8 / 35
    MTU: 1492
    Authentication: LLC

Don't forget to put @iolbb at the end of your username if you are with IOL. Not sure if there is a suffix for Eircom.

To access the router to input this settings, you have to use HTTP. Usually the IP is http://192.168.0.1 but you will have to check the manual to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

ok i set up most of those.
    but instead of llc for authentication i have either chap/pap or none.
    i have all the other stuff entered in.
    im with iol. what ip's should i use for dns servers or what dhcp settings should i have?
    also what is a subnet mask?

and what network settings should i have?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Caliden wrote:
    ok i set up most of those.
    but instead of llc for authentication i have either chap/pap or none.
    i have all the other stuff entered in.
    im with iol. what ip's should i use for dns servers or what dhcp settings should i have?
    also what is a subnet mask?

and what network settings should i have?

Have you checked page 27 of the manual (Chap 24 - 4 - configuration) all the instructions you require seem to be there? (Ignore the quick start part at the very start of the manual)

Dont worry about any of the other stuff for the moment (dchp etc) as the default settings will do fine for you along with what Serbian has given you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Serbian wrote:
    PPPoE
    VCI / VPI: 8 / 35
    MTU: 1492
    Authentication: LLC

Caliden wrote:
    instead of llc for authentication i have either chap/pap or none.

LLC is the Encapsulation or Multiplexing setting - CHAP/PAP is correct for Authentication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement