Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online DVD rental in Ireland - Questions.

• 06-10-2004 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Got briefly excited by the prospect of using an online DVD rental service in Ireland (after hearing about such things from a friend) but was terribly disappointed to see the absolutely paltry selection on dvdrentals.ie.

They are the same bloody DVDs you can rent in any local rental store! I thought the whole idea was that one could have access to cult favourites, rare classics, obscure and neglected treasures etc. That's the entire reason I'd want to use such a service...to get to see films I've wanted to see for ages but have no access to.

So...does anybody know if the kind of service I want is available in Ireland or to Ireland? I strongly suspect that there's no Irish company that caters for real film fans so what's the alternative?

Thoughts, comments, anecdotes please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Has anyone tried the 14 day free trial with those guys? Is it possible to rent for free for the 2 weeks and cancel immediately afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

I signed up for the trial but after looking through the site immediately cancelled as there was nothing I wanted. As far as I can tell you can indeed use the service for up to 14 days free. If you cancel it before then you don't get charged diddly...as far as I can tell.

The selection is very poor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd say the service was fairly poor too.

I had several problems with them and it was a case of "Oh right". And that was it. I stayed with them for about six months and then got sick of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Got briefly excited by the prospect of using an online DVD rental service in Ireland (after hearing about such things from a friend) but was terribly disappointed to see the absolutely paltry selection on dvdrentals.ie.

They are the same bloody DVDs you can rent in any local rental store! I thought the whole idea was that one could have access to cult favourites, rare classics, obscure and neglected treasures etc. That's the entire reason I'd want to use such a service...to get to see films I've wanted to see for ages but have no access to.

So...does anybody know if the kind of service I want is available in Ireland or to Ireland? I strongly suspect that there's no Irish company that caters for real film fans so what's the alternative?

Thoughts, comments, anecdotes please.

Their selection is poor, i used lovefilm.com when i was living in the uk and they have an amazing selection of films to rent. Fast delivery aswell. Pity they dont post to ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I've just gone to them based on this thread and their 14 day trial. I found a fair few movies that I wanted to see. Granted over a period of a few months I'd quickly go through those. I presume they plan on extending their selection as they get bigger. We are a pretty small market after all. I'd love to know how many subscribers they have.

Also, when should you cancel your account to stop it from going into the "paying" perdiod?

• Advertisement
Advertisement