Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb satellite experiences?

• 06-10-2004 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently bought a house in Rathcormac in North Cork (on the Dublin Road), and as I don't seem likely to be able to get anything vaguely resembling DSL, am looking into getting the Digiweb 1.2MB satellite service (the house won't be ready til February, but I'd like to know all my options in advance).

Has anybody any experience - good or bad - with Digiweb's satellite service? I would appreciate any information.

Regards,

Ruairí

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Sat is crap for anything other than browsing and email .

There are 2 types of sat system

1. 1 Way Sat like cpsat or silvermead or europeonline . Requires a modem in the other way but is not stonkingly expensive to install because you can integrate your SKY with it or huge monthly rental .

2. 2 Way sat like Digiweb or some lot in Cork (Mediasat ?) or Aramiska. This is stonkingly expensive to install at about €1500 incl VAT and expensive monthly too.

There is no market for this kit second hand where you could get rid of the one way sat kit on someone with a sky dish out the country or who simply wanted sat feeds on their PC .

3. Try see if Irishwan are in your area, cheaper and faster.

http://www.irishwan.org/

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Satellite Broadband sucks big monkey balls.
    With satellite, you will have problems with latency, small download limits, expense. For one way sat, you still need your dialup line for upload. For two way sat, you have to shell out initial capital cost for equipment you will probably never be able to sell on. Thereafter, its ridiculously expensive. Search the boards - will give you all the info you need. You would be better off going the wireless route.

Check out irishwan.org/board/ (its main aim is not broadband access, by the way, but you may be able to share a connection with someone...). The local irishwan wireless group = corkwireless.com. They have regular meetings - show up at one and they will be able to tell you if they can hook you up.
    Alternatively, you may be able to setup a Group Broadband Scheme - plenty of info available on the subject on the irelandoffline board - do a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ruairi

First off, thanks for the replies.

As regards satellite, it's the two-way I'd be going for. Digiweb have some deals that seem to be cheaper than the competition, €349 ex VAT for initial install, and a monthly fee based on package. No cap, though they do rate limit heavy users during business hours (8am - 6pm according to their phone people).

I've pretty much decided to go with them as I am a long way from any CorkWAN / CorkWireless nodes, and it's unsuitable terrain anyway, and am just looking for customer experiences so that I know what to expect from them as regards reliability, support etc.

As regards latency issues, I am not a gamer so I'll have less issues than some.

Regards,

Ruairí

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

hi Ruairi - we have customers using satellite all over the country. Satellite may not be for everyone, but for users using it for business or other purposes where they are online a lot, its an ideal solution. As the largest sat provider in the country, each day customers are moving to us from eircom ISDN where DSL is unavailable. That profile of customer will recoup equip costs etc within months and continue to save thereafter. (Some home users may not realise, but small businesses outside DSL areas can clock up 200 - 500 per month on ISDN just for internet access).

it's not suitable for online gaming or downloading half the internet every other day, and we don't recommend it for VOIP (although we have customers successfully using it for same). We will soon have live demo sites for customer testing in Cork and Waterford (you can visit us already in Dundalk but its a bit of a trip from Cork), but in the meantime we can refer you to Internet cafés and similar in the Cork area which use this connection and you can try it for yourself (PM me your email addr).

regards

Colm
    Digiweb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ruairi wrote:
    Digiweb have some deals that seem to be cheaper than the competition, €349 ex VAT for initial install

It was about €1000 earlier in the year, I hadn't noticed the drop in install costs TBH .

The Digiweb sat gear (and most other 2 way sats) may not be integrated into TV reception sats so you will end up with 2 dishes on your house if you want both.

Make sure there is some ducting for the wiring at the south east corner of your house Ruairí or that cabling could get ugly. :)

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement