Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom will fix your line for free/remove pairgains. Special Offer in Nov and Dec.

Options
  • 06-10-2004 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

........well its not really meant to be that but it IS the annual October to Christmas free ISDN install or Upgrade offer .

The upgrade period lasts from 22/10/2004 to 21/01/2005 . They will give you a free ISDN modem as well . If you do not keep the ISDN installed for 3 months you must send that back within 14 days but it is yours to keep after 3 months.

If you did want BB and called out an engineer to fix the line and remove the sh1te he would probably do nothing and charge €45 . Spending €39 on cleaning up your line is not a bad idea in this country . ISDN does not work with most pairgains and splitters so Eircom have just Gotta remove them.

That €39 is comprised of .

1. 1 x Upgrade To ISDN €0
    2. 1 x Months line rental at the higher rate (diff) = €14
    3. 1 x downgrade to analogue for the line retest €25

Full details of the Pairgain Removal offer Here

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Whats the bets they'll be using clause 8 of that PDF "Offer subject to availability" to exclude pairgained lines or, at the very least, PITA-to-get-rid-of pairgains.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Well. The cost to you is €0.00 then .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Muck wrote:
    Well. The cost to you is €0.00 then
    You have to phone them :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

You have to phone them :);)

Thats a free call, 1901.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

flamegrill wrote:
    Thats a free call, 1901.

Paul
    Ah yes, but what about the valium you'll need to take before you make that call? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Plus you have to talk to the automated voice of satan..

'You have said .. yes. Is this correct? Please answer yes or no.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

My isdn line failed the online test recently even though i'm less than a kilometre from the exchange, does this apply to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anima wrote:
    My isdn line failed the online test recently even though i'm less than a kilometre from the exchange, does this apply to me?

back in december my isdn line was failingthe test i rang them up and they said they forgot to test my line
    4 days later it passed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Did an engineer have to come out and test it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Anima wrote:

As far as I am aware, it is essentially impossible for an ISDN line not to support RADSL. In the UK for example, they can even install broadband at 512kbps if you are out of range (!!!) of ISDN!

Good luck getting it sorted though, as Eircom appear to be using a random number generator to test lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Muck wrote:
    ........well its not really meant to be that but it IS the annual October to Christmas free ISDN install or Upgrade offer .

The upgrade period lasts from 22/10/2004 to 21/01/2005 . They will give you a free ISDN modem as well . If you do not keep the ISDN installed for 3 months you must send that back within 14 days but it is yours to keep after 3 months.

If you did want BB and called out an engineer to fix the line and remove the sh1te he would probably do nothing and charge €45 . Spending €39 on cleaning up your line is not a bad idea in this country . ISDN does not work with most pairgains and splitters so Eircom have just Gotta remove them.

That €39 is comprised of .

1. 1 x Upgrade To ISDN €0
    2. 1 x Months line rental at the higher rate (diff) = €14
    3. 1 x downgrade to analogue for the line retest €25

Full details of the Pairgain Removal offer Here

M
    hey muck can u say all that above in plain english [is it that when you get isdn off eircom its only 39 per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I don't understand how you can get ISDN but not BB if your exchange is enabled.

Which modem is it. Draytek mini Vigor USB is rubbish. Worse than useless.

Why is this not 3 months free as per their competitors and BB offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I don't understand how you can get ISDN but not BB if your exchange is enabled.
    The distance limits for ISN are considerably high than for RADSL.
    Why is this not 3 months free as per their competitors and BB offers?
    They're not competing with Broadband. Anyone who can get broadband (for as little as €30 a month) would be a bit silly to get ISN which would cost them at least an extra €15/month in line rental, and €25-30 in dialup charges per mnth.

The reason that this isn't 3 months free is because a) it requires an engineer install, and b) ISDN is more interesting to people who need 2 phonelines than to people who want to access the internet - because it's cheaper than getting 2 analog phone lines. And those people wouldn't necessarily be interested in 3 months free internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

As far as I am aware, it is essentially impossible for an ISDN line not to support RADSL. In the UK for example, they can even install broadband at 512kbps if you are out of range (!!!) of ISDN!

Good luck getting it sorted though, as Eircom appear to be using a random number generator to test lines.

very interestiing. Is this definitely true?

A friend of mine used to have ISDN but got rid of it abot 6 months ago. His exchange was recently updated to broadband but his line has failed the test whic does not make sense to me.
    [edit]
    Its not a distance issue as his next door neighbours line passes.
    [/edit]

Does broadband not require an engineer?

I don't see why one product has dialup charges and the other doesn't. Other than if you are getting ISDN it means you can't get Broadband so Eircom can screw you for phone charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

not true
    one of my isdn lines passed, one didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

The Muppet wrote:
    very interestiing. Is this definitely true?

A friend of mine used to have ISDN but got rid of it abot 6 months ago. His exchange was recently updated to broadband but his line has failed the test whic does not make sense to me.
    [edit]
    Its not a distance issue as his next door neighbours line passes.
    [/edit]

He was talking about in the UK.. this is ireland...of course they won't do it here, even if ya lived next door to the exchange.

Also the reason "too far from exchange" is their stock answer for all problems, they don't actually know what the problem is the majority of the time. So either you pass their test or you don't. If you don't, you've no idea why you've failed.

But I don't see why the ISDN product is priced differently from the BB one.

Other than that no one can stop them.

It is a cheap way for someone within 4.5km of an exchange and who cannot get BB at present to clean up their line.....and maybe get BB then. Thats why I posted the thread and link.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

IT sounds like a great idea but if you were to downgrade and asked them to test ur line again are'nt the biddys only reading off what they have in front of them. Another words how do you make sure the engineers have actually retested your line after you got all the crap taken off the line?

• Advertisement

This promotion started last Friday and runs till mid Jan. Get yeer lines checked .

M

Bumppppity Bump !

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Just to get this clear in my head - when I get them to install ISDN here, and clean up the line, am I then tied into a 12-month ISDN contract? Or are we free to say "well, thanks for the ISDN line, but after a week of heavy duty testing it's just not for me, thanks, please downgrade my line again."?

Also, what happens if you have CPS on the line already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Also, what happens if you have CPS on the line already?
    If you have CPS and get ISDN installed, eircom will without notice dump your CPS and you will only find out when the next eircom bill arrives with call charges. If you do change to ISDN, make sure to get it in writing from eircom that your CPS will be maintained.

As an aside, your CPS will also be dropped if you make a change to your account details (ie. Address, Name Change, even spelling correction). Eircom will not inform you that this will happen and your next eircom bill will contain call charges.

Eircom are supposed to inform your carrier that the account has changed, your carrier then contacts you to see if you wish to maintain CPS. However, eircom are simply sending a "cease notice" to the carrier, breaching the CPS code of practice. My parents have currently been defrauded this way.

Viking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

And me :) I went through that battle last year when I got ISDN installed. Took many months to never be properly sorted out. I have now gotten rid of my ISDN and the same thing once again has happened, this time I got the names of people I dealt with. A nicely worded letter will make for good reading :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

From what I gather from this thread, if you have ISDN then there should be no reason why your line should fail the BB test.

If this is the case then why are Eircom always failing me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

ISDN does not guarantee you ADSL. The point of the thread is that by ordering ISDN you can get Eircom to remove some crap off the line that might prevent you from getting ADSL but there's no guarantee that it will do the job.

Cormic wrote:
    From what I gather from this thread, if you have ISDN then there should be no reason why your line should fail the BB test..

Theres your first mistake. Expecting logic and reason from Eircom. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Well my telephone line has constantly failed for Broadband, also there is no wireless where I am ((commuter town) because the local wireless providers think there would not enough interest as line based broadband was supposedly available - hah)!.
    Today I've ordered ISDN to see if that will clean things up - will let you know if there is any joy with the new and original line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

rgfuller wrote:
    also there is no wireless where I am ((commuter town) because the local wireless providers think there would not enough interest as line based broadband was supposedly available - hah)!
    Would seem to make sense for them to avoid your area if it already has DSL.

Advertisement