Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom will fix your line for free/remove pairgains. Special Offer in Nov and Dec.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

SkepticOne wrote:
    Would seem to make sense for them to avoid your area if it already has DSL.

Yes - but if 30-40% of lines from that exchange can't support BB then wireless is the only option, easy to check this using the golden pages to see what business numbers are in the area and using the online checking programs. That means there could be a demand for local wireless.

I know of at least one other person who would ditch his land-line and use mobile for calls and wireless for internet if he could (like myself).

Satellite is of course available, but it's no good for interactive gaming-voice-video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

rgfuller wrote:
    Yes - but if 30-40% of lines from that exchange can't support BB then wireless is the only option, easy to check this using the golden pages to see what business numbers are in the area and using the online checking programs. That means there could be a demand for local wireless.
    Yes, but they will naturally target towns that don't have any broadband first, of which there are plenty. Your problem is now convincing Eircom that it is worth their while investigating your line failure - this will be hard because you will be paying them good money for ISDN.

At least your town has broadband. This is a good thing for the community if not for you personally. Unfortunately for you, Eircom upgraded the exchange before alternative providers got established and consequently you have no options.

Also, don't you need the Eircom account number as well as the telephone number to check a line?

Update:
    Having ordered the ISDN online (using my Eircom account) and receiving an e-mail receipt, I called them today to see when they were coming to set up the ISDN.

There was no record of any order on their system. Unreal.

I reordered with the telephone guy and have a reference number now.
    7 Days to delivery - it would be nice to see them before christmas.

We'll see. Doesn't inspire confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

We wanted ISDN installed in one of Eircom's own offices, and they couldn't give us a date! :D

We wanted ISDN installed in one of Eircom's own offices, and they couldn't give us a date! :D

Well - I got a call yesterday to ask if I wanted it installed today which I agreed to. The engineer called this morning at 9 on the dot, proceeded to test the line which had issues on the cable running into the house from the outside wall box - he switched the line to a different pair, installed the Eircom ISDN plug and play box and lo-and behold ISDN, plus the cleanest analogue connection I have ever had (49k) - unfortunatly the free ISDN modem hasn't arrived yet so I can't test the ISDN, but he tested the ISDN line for 15 minutes without error.

Now that's speedy service. 2 days after the phone order to get ISDN.

Fingers crossed that all the work has cleaned up my line sufficiently for broadband early next year. The exchange is only 200m down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

rgfuller wrote:
    Fingers crossed that all the work has cleaned up my line sufficiently for broadband early next year. The exchange is only 200m down the road.
    Don't forget the CPS advice from Viking above. Also make sure to check that FRIACO services such as those UTV are still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Correct - in my case they actually changed the account number without telling me - although they didn't send a cease notice to the CPS operator, they just sent "incorrect account details" when they went to activate the CPS on the new house.

Update:
    Today I checked my two ISDN numbers for Broadband compatibility and got a YES for both of them (NO replored earlier in the week so they must have been rechecked).

Investigating the cost of converting ISDN back to PSTN+Broadband.
    UTV were charging €99 compared to Eircom charging €25 - due to engineer visit I presume.

I've ordered the 2 month (only!) free trail with Eircom costing €25 for the conversion, free broadband modem, etc (however I can't get the free wireless router as it's free only with an internet order - rather than phone order - and it wouldn't let me order online as no PSTN number was associated with my Eircom Account).
    Not that I want it anyway as I have alternate equipment.

14 days to delivery of Broadband and I will be called by an Eircom Engineer to arrange the cutover. Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stuckat28k

I've been informed by Eircom that they cannot give me ISDN because I am on a "carrier" to which my neighbour also has his line connected, and I have failed the test. My line stretches all of 300 metres from the local rural exchange! I think this must be one of the shortest line lengths to fail. They say there's no capacity even though there's a new housing estate being built right beside me. I just don't get these guys.

Update:
    Broadband at last...
    I got a call from Eircom on Monday to say they had an early slot (Tuesday) for the engineer to downgrade my isdn and install Broadband.

The engineer called me on Tuesday morning to say when he would disable ISDN and call into the house to remove the ISDN terminator. He called prior to disabling the ISDN and as I am 200m from the exchange he arrived at the house 5 minutes later.

He removed the ISDN terminator and installed a wall socket splitter/device to which he plugged in the DSL modem and my phone. All work completed in less than 30 minutes.
    5 Minutes later he got a call from some central station to say my phone line was active again.

Impressed with the service. Even if I've had to go through the free ISDN upgrade and €25 downgrade for free Broadband.

Eircom should have a service product where you pay to get an engineer to investigate/correct/explain the reason why some people cannot get the BB service.

So 2 months free usage (asuming I stay below limits) then decision time.

Bandwidth tests report from 402-440kbps, and pings to UK servers which had been about 130 on dial-up, 80 on ISDN are now 50-60. Yay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement