Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for 'suicide doors'

Options
  • 06-10-2004 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

Looking for suicide doors for the rear doors of a Ford Focus.

Does anyone know any sites etc where I could get them and any parts I need as I have someone willing to install them?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Pardon my ignorance but what are suicide doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

you mean lambo doors like??

the ones that open up rather than out or you want em opening back???

very complicated sounding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

as far as i know, they are doors that open on the other end of the door. for suicide doors on the rear doors of a car, the hinge on the door would be at the rear giving *google image search* this kind of an effect:
    0711door.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Ahh yeah, I searched and found the explanation. In an episode of Pimp my Ride a chick with a baha bug, which is a mod of a VW beetle, had her doors turned into suicide doors. All they did was switch the hinges around, but they are experts and they had problems till they got it to work right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I believe THIS is what you are looking for .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

So for around $50 you get a manual and a cd? Prob not advisable trying to convert ur new 04 Focus if youve never done it before! You should just weld them shut and climb in the window Dukes of Hazard style!
    Let us know how you get on with it anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

why weld them - just don't use the locks/handles!
    I assume the bodywork warranty (if present) would be void if you did this job. Do you still keep your B-pillar? How would it affect the safety aspects of the car. Are the doors designed to absorb some of the impact? Would moving the hinges to the other side comprimise safety? Is this why they are called suicide doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

they are called suicide doors because you can open them out into oncoming traffic and jump out!!

have you ever tried open the doors on your car even at slow speeds it's very difficult with wind resistance!!

these flap back and allow you to jump to your freedom!!

they were also fitted to some "old" cars as standard and hence got their name so manufacturers stopped fitting them and scrapped the ideas!!

AFAIK!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

smokey2 wrote:
    they were also fitted to some "old" cars as standard and hence got their name so manufacturers stopped fitting them and scrapped the ideas!!

AFAIK!!!!
    ye i heard the same story . im just wondering if its possible like wouldnt the locks and stuff be needed to be turned around

always liked the old cars / hitler car doors

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

smokey2 wrote:

AFAIK!!!!

Yeah, a perfect example is the car they used in the Matrix. Also the RR Phantom has them. They're very handy for allowing people to step out onto the red carpet with ease :)

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Do the London black cabs not have them 2

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

fletch wrote:
    Do the London black cabs not have them 2

Yep.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Embee, Can I have the old doors ? I'm looking to 'NCT my Ride' .jk

but here is a site showing the parts , i'm sure you can find them cheaper though

http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=HDHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

smokey2 wrote:
    these flap back and allow you to jump to your freedom!!

yeah, if you can jump further than the reach of the doors, into the wind, or safely get under them and straight onto the tarmac. suicide indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Very bad idea imho - apart from anything else, the shape of the door aperture is set up for the hinge to be on the B-pillar, so hinging it from the C-pillar will cause big problems with getting it to open and shut properly.

Modern construction and use regulations prohibit the use of rear-hinged doors in the conventional sense because of the whole 'suicide doors' thing. The reason they can be fitted on the Mazda RX8 is because they can only be opened when the front doors are opened first. On the RR Phantom, they can only be opened when the car is stopped afaik. So chances are, you'll fail your next NCT as well.

Unless you can come up with a very good reason to fit them, don't bother - it's hardly worth the cost and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

the nct tests your doors ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

they test your cars safety. Altering the safety zones of a car will result in it not absorbing an impact as designed and therefore (& rightfully) fail the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Worst Idea in the world. Talk about tacky and ruining a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My mind is boggled...

Mike.

Advertisement