Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Firefox: a new brand of internet fanboi-ism?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Winters wrote:
    i find myself quite lost when I use the fox in DCU and my extensions are not installed.

I've only been there 2 weeks, but it annoyed me too, so i copied the default profile to my H: drive and customised it.
    i start firefox with the -P switch on the command line, select that folder for a new profile, and use it.

(If that makes sense.)
    I get a netware error just after opening the browser, but thats easy to ignore, and it keeps adblock (and my rules), my homepages, my saved passwords, etc between logins. nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I've just recently made the switch from IE to Firefox. Its great, no pop-ups love the tabs etc.
    The only thing I miss is, I used to press Ctrl & O to open a new page, I still find myself doing this from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cabaal wrote:
    I just hope sites don't continue to be IE only like this site http://www.springhillcourt.com/
    What am I missing? (works fine in Opera even when pretending it's Mozilla)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

The only thing I miss is, I used to press Ctrl & O to open a new page, I still find myself doing this from time to time.

eh, CTRL & O brings up an open file dialog the same as IE......at least in the 0.10 version I am using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

bedlam wrote:
    ctrl + L does the same thing in firefox, the keys are close enough to makethe change easier :)

Ah, thats more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I love Firefox. When Mozilla was out, I used to say "okay it's better than Internet explorer" but used to get lazy and end up using Internet Explorer anyway. But I just can't drag myself away from Firefox when I'm on Windows. Even when I'm in a net cafe I would go to the trouble of downloading Firefox and installing it before browsing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

sceptre wrote:
    Using Mozilla here, it looks fine at first but when you scroll the Iframe, it somehow pops up and overlaps the menu, obscuring most of the menu items.

1. I find Firefox to be the resource hog, even on different computers, it takes longer to start up and consumes more resources.

You could try using K-Meleon. It's far less resource intensive than Firefox, designed for 486/old Pentium machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the current lack of gmail support in opera has me on firefox atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

I used to use avant, was great except that it had some problems with specific jpg's and a few sites.

Switched to maxthon, which is even better, blocks every type of ad and pop-up.

Compared to firefox, I prefer maxthon and think it's better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.maxthon.com/en/
    Maxthon is a powerful web browser with a highly customizable interface. It is based on the Internet Explorer engine (your most likely current web browser) which means that what works in IE, works the same in Maxthon but with many additional efficient features like...
    So all the IE security patches and foibles still apply

http://forum.maxthon.com/forum/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=740a38c986caf618ec9db05fb8ba5fc2&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=firefox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sceptre wrote:

See my thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=192453
    about issues viewing the site in IE v Firefox

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like firefox and use it as my primary browser, and have it installed on the parents PC at home to protect them from themselves. Changed the icon to the familiar big-blue-E and they haven't noticed the change yet :)

The firefox fanboy zealots piss me off though. In much the same way as you get linux fanboys preaching in Windows threads (through fortunately that seems to be stamped out here), they do more to turn people off the product they're pimping than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I've been using Mozilla for browsing and email for about the last
    three years, even when it went against company policy.

Changed to Firefox/Thunderbird in the last two weeks, because
    Mozilla is just way too bloated, and initially I wasnt that impressed.
    I've now installed some really good extensions for both, and
    changed the themes to something more modern and aesthetic
    and now I wouldnt change back.

I'd recommend Firefox to anyone that asked me for a recommendation,
    but I'm not that bothered to force it down anyones throat.
    If someone wants to handicap themselves then thats their
    problem not mine..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I use Mozilla (latest build) at home as I have to have www/mail all in one, I use FF at work for all but one tool that we use as it'lll only run in IE :(

I've only seen FF crash maybe twice at work when using the tools but when I use IE it goes tits up almost everyday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ave wrote:
    I used to use avant, was great except that it had some problems with specific jpg's and a few sites.

Switched to maxthon, which is even better, blocks every type of ad and pop-up.

Compared to firefox, I prefer maxthon and think it's better.

You obviously have deep emotional issues. Would you not make the switch to Lynx?

Anyway, this is a rather silly thread.

Would you not make the switch to Lynx?

Some of us still like our books with pictures in them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

IE would be fine if it werent for all the fecken spyware and adware, i think because firefox is been so widly used that it might be targeted next.

Opera is the way to go. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Regarding the origional point of this thread. I agree. There are so many people who actually BOAST about Firefox. Like they know some big secret. Its not a secret anymore. Its a browser. And it works ok.. big deal. Anyway there is life outside the internet and most normal people couldnt give a toss what browser theyre using especially those who dont even know what a browser is.. and they are there. Ive seen them. They usually click the right button instead of the left button and scroll down with the keyboard.

By the way I use Avant and its the best browser in the world and if you dont use it it means youre stupid.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/36438/10922.jpg
    thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

womoma wrote:
    By the way I use Avant and its the best browser in the world and if you dont use it it means youre stupid.

If its the best browser in the world how come nobody's ever HEARD of it. hmmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Infini wrote:
    If its the best browser in the world how come nobody's ever HEARD of it. hmmm?

I really hope your wording was meant to be ironic. But in case it wasnt..

You may not of heard of Dreher but its one of the finest beers in the world. Its just not made by Guinness.

In most industries it doesnt take a lot of money to design and produce a good product and this is particulary true of the world of software.

Just because we've heard of something doesnt make it better. Indeed its an
    attitude that sticking with the big boys that promotes such the likes of IE.
    Much of the software which youve "heard of" starts life as freeware developed by small developers. Macromedia bought Flash in the first place.. Adobe bought Audition etc etc

Similary, if Avant was bought and marketed by Macromedia for example would you suddenly change your view on it so much? Indeed if you said you were using Firefox only a year or two ago most people would snigger. But dont all browsers have their roots in Mosaic anyway?

If you havent heard of something it doesnt make it bad and I assure you, Avant is a great bit of kit. Maybe not "the best browser in the world" but surely thats down to personal choice.

Dont fear the unknown. I love you Infini- you are my secret petal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Somebody's been drinking again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I switched to FF because of all the pop ups. I think FF is great. I suggested FF to my friends. I wouldnt like to pimp it or rub it into peoples face. But I think you can optimise FF better and the tabbed browsing is great:) Its a good bit of competition for Microsoft too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've played around with plenty of browsers over the years but also due to layzness always ended up going back to IE. Once I used firefox however I have not looked back, i think its one of the best pieces of software to ever be released. I love the extentions (see this thread), and the multi search bar etc. So customiseable. Go OpenSource!

Get the TabbedBrowser Preferences extention - double click on the tab bar and it opens a tew tab, then just type in the address bar or paste in an address etc. Such an improvement on IE - I recommend it to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Que

I'm sure ff & co have just as many if not more security holes than ie, just nobodies looking for them, after all if you are gonna work on a browser hijack to divert users browsers to your site or use flaws in the browser to take control of their machine are you gonna aim for the totally markey saturated browser or the .24 % who, given they are in that aforementioned .24%, prolly have their system firewalled & patched etc.
    if ff ever beats ie down the flaws will all come crawling out of the woodwork as all those lowlife 'code' writers try to take control of it,
    I use it myself cause I like it, but the idea thats its great cause it has no holes is silly, its just not targeted because it's market is non existant

Que wrote:
    I'm sure ff & co have just as many if not more security holes than ie, just nobodies looking for them, after all if you are gonna work on a browser hijack to divert users browsers to your site or use flaws in the browser to take control of their machine are you gonna aim for the totally markey saturated browser or the .24 % who, given they are in that aforementioned .24%, prolly have their system firewalled & patched etc.
    if ff ever beats ie down the flaws will all come crawling out of the woodwork as all those lowlife 'code' writers try to take control of it,
    I use it myself cause I like it, but the idea thats its great cause it has no holes is silly, its just not targeted because it's market is non existant

Yes 20% of the market is non existant! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

jessy wrote:
    Yes 20% of the market is non existant! :rolleyes:

Where are you getting 20% from :confused: Que was talking about 0.24%

• Advertisement

fragile wrote:
    Where are you getting 20% from :confused: Que was talking about 0.24%

FF has 20% of the browser market dont know where hes getting 0.24% from

Advertisement