Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeware alternative to Norton Ghost?

• 06-10-2004 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a freeware alternative to norton ghost please?

1,700 posts my God i have i been busy!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which OS
    Which File system ie NTFS or not ?

Windows 95/98 can be copied to a new hdd with lcopy (ODI) since they don't have copy protection mechanisms. NT is very picky about HDD controllers and blue screens if you change the HW too much. XP/2K usually need to be authorised again if moved to different HW, if they are bootable at all. for NT/2K/XP you will probably also need NEWSID after cloning

ghost4u - linux boot disk version - only works with identical hdd's
    partimage - works well on FAT32 - not so good on NTFS

If the original is NTFS then Ghost is the best.

If the master has bad sectors then you should backup/restore using Ntbackup to a file (NT4 tape only / ntbackup.msi on the XP home CD) and do a bare minimum install on the new drive and then restore the backup - overwriting all files and system state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its windows xp and i want it to back up my laptop to resotre should it ever need it. i am going to back it up a to a spare hard drive i have at home once i get the home machine running again, i fried the ram in it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First use NTBACKUP to backup to the other drive. - you can restore individual files from it whereas cloning tends to be all or nothing.

If the drive is NTFS then ghost is the best.
    partimage is on the Knoppix CD which is handy for so many repairs.
    knoppix 3.4 is on a lot of cover CD's but I think the capture NTFS is better on 3.6

Advertisement