Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US awards Freedom of Iraqi women contract to Anti-Feminism group

Options
  • 07-10-2004 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=655&e=4&u=/oneworld/20041005/wl_oneworld/4536954201096989633
    The State Department has awarded an explicitly anti-feminist U.S. group part of a US$10 million grant to train Iraqi women in political participation and democracy.

The IWF, which, according to its mission statement was “established to combat the women-as-victim, pro-big-government ideology of radical feminism,” has taken a number of controversial positions over the years in pursuit of that goal.

It has strongly opposed the UN Convention for the Elimination Against Women (CEDAW) in part on the grounds that it would permit mandate governments to enforce laws guaranteeing equal pay for equal work. “This is ‘comparable worth,’ a system of government wage setting that Americans have rightly rejected as inefficient and antithetical to free market principles,” the IWF has argued.

It has also objected to CEDAW’s requirements that governments guarantee “maternity leave with pay" and child care facilities as well as its suggestions for minimum quotas to ensure that women are represented at all levels in governments. Ironically, the Bush administration adopted this suggestion for Iraq in the interim law approved by the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) that is supposed to guide elections currently scheduled for January.

The IWF has also opposed affirmative action and federal programs designed to prevent sexual discrimination in educational institutions that receive federal government funding. The Bush administration appointed IWF’s president, Nancy Mitchell Pfotenhauer, to the National Advisory Committee on Violence Against Women despite the fact that the group opposed the Violence Against Women Act.

this kind of stuff makes me sick, i really hope that all of the people in the current administration involved in exploiting iraq die horrible of the most painful cancer possible, preferebly over several months.

god these people wreck my head

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

now that is really messed up - putting it lightly.

how Iraq is going to improve with such stupid moves like that is beyond me...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Its all about the MONEY going to GWBs right wing friends. I doubt they even read the groups mission statment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Memnoch wrote:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=655&e=4&u=/oneworld/20041005/wl_oneworld/4536954201096989633

this kind of stuff makes me sick, i really hope that all of the people in the current administration involved in exploiting iraq die horrible of the most painful cancer possible, preferebly over several months.

god these people wreck my head

how does that improve things, yes I can understand your fustration but "I hope they die of....." is sad and childish IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nothing surprises me with the whole shameful episode that is Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Nuttzz wrote:
    how does that improve things, yes I can understand your fustration but "I hope they die of....." is sad and childish IMHO

i'd say its more cynical and realistic, because the reality of this world is that power makes the rules, these people act with impunity due to their money and power, and the powerless like us can only watch on helplessly.

unless you want to become a terrorist, but then inevitably, you become no different from those whom you despise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Funny I had a conversation about something similar to this just the other day.

There is some logic in the appointment, not that I agree with said logic ofcourse.
    There is ,historically, a fear amongst oppressors that when those they have oppress rise up and over throw them that they will exact vengence or retribution. Thus it might seem logical to these ppl to do all that they might to discourage them taking "too much".
    But may I also point out that historically, in the majority of cases this doesnt happen. Yes there have been examples, extreme examples like that case genocide in Rwanda (but there were other mitigating factors there that should be taken into account).

In short I think there is a level of fear and ignorance related to this appointment by those who dont want to see a rapid and radical change in the make up of the country, personally I can understand this, but I dont neccessarily agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Memnoch wrote:
    i really hope that all of the people in the current administration involved in exploiting iraq die horrible of the most painful cancer possible, preferebly over several months.

Quite frankly, that is one of the sickest, most tasteless comments I've read on boards in a long time.

Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Quite frankly, that is one of the sickest, most tasteless comments I've read on boards in a long time.

Shame on you.

why?

how many iraqis have they murdered in pursuit of their greed? how many innocents?
    how many people have they had tortured?

these people are scum, and they deserve nothing better

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Memnoch wrote:
    why?

how many iraqis have they murdered in pursuit of their greed? how many innocents?
    how many people have they had tortured?

I will not discuss this on-thread, as it is way off topic. I have PMed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<offtopic>
    Memnoch wrote:

So its ok to wish really horrid things on really bad people then? But isn't that just what these people have done to make them really bad? Wished for (and then executed) really bad things on what they said were really bad people

Beware of dealing with monsters....and all that.
    </offtopic>

<ontopic>
    I'm sure there'll be some great spin on this one, but TBH, its yet another typical Bush Administration move....
    </ontopic>

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Advertisement