Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Lame friends!

Options
  • 07-10-2004 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Okay, so as a last minute decision, two of my friends (one of them my best mate) decided to do the same course as me. And this affects me because instead of putting myself out there (so to speak), I take the easy option and stay with them.

Problem is, they're lame antisocial ****s. Well, one of them is, and one of them is just underaged. So they aren't going to any of the pissups, insist on going home at 5. I've done NOTHING for my fresher's week. NOTHING, I say. That's SHOCKING! I had this big plan to have a mad time, but now...bleh.

I don't really like the thought of going out to clubs in Dublin on my own, not knowing anyone..ick, that'd be well awkward. And short of dragging my friends by the hair (it isn't long enough, I've actually tried before), I can't think of a way to convince them to go.

So...suggestions are appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I also joined the college doing the same course as my best mate and another good friend. Thankfully they're not that anti-social so I had a good freshers week. Yeah it's difficult (I found) to make new and lasting friends during freshers week, and it's not very irish to go out on your own. Though don't fret too much Pet. From next week it'll all be grand once you're open to meeting new people. You'll be in labs, lectures and tutorials consistently with the same people. You'll make a group of mates including your current ones and even if they don't go out, you can go out with the new ones.
    Many if not most of the social events I attend in college aren't with my original "lucan" mates..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Yeah true. And I suppose there's always RAG week...Also, I just discovered I have a very revealing picture here taken of one of my friends while he was drunk, and I shall blackmail him into going out!

Don't count on rag week mate. It's really very boring, worse than most normal weeks I'll even venture.. Mostly cos of all the people with funny coloured shirts trying to get you to put your precious beer money into some bucket..

Well when you're in college tomorrow with your mates, in the buttery or pav or music fest thing just strike up a conversation people around you (it's easier if you're beered up a bit). Don't worry, if they're freshers they'll be in the same boat as you. Ask if they're goin to the redbox and head in with them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

As the speaker at the monday fresher's talk said:

"you spend all of second term trying to lose the friends you made in the first term"

I'm sure this is true to a degree in your case Pet. Don't fret, there's all the time in the world to make new-fangled college friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Eh? Why would you want to lose the friends you made in the first term?

• Advertisement

That only applies to back-stabbing BESS crowd.. Not us normal students ;)

I'm gonna be in the redbox tonite, anyone else??

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

I really wouldnt worry about making new friends Pet, like ApeX says you'll meet new people when you start lectures, in tutorials and labs, etc. I had the same problem last year- I knew 5 people doing science....but I was the only one doing physics so I had to make the effort to meet new people..as for going out theres always events going on during the year and Im sure youll know other people by then to go out with....but if all else fails then yes the blackmailing may work ;)
    Originally posteed by ApeXaviour:
    Don't count on rag week mate.
    Definitely dont, from my experience its terrible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I made 5 friends 30 seconds after leaving my course orientation, tps are a really nice bunch although the rest of them disapeared pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Don't count on rag week mate.

hrmm sure barely noticed it passing last yr....

I really wouldnt worry about making new friends Pet, like ApeX says you'll meet new people when you start lectures, in tutorials and labs, etc. I had the same problem last year- I knew 5 people doing science....but I was the only one doing physics so I had to make the effort to meet new people..as for going out theres always events going on during the year and Im sure youll know other people by then to go out with....but if all else fails then yes the blackmailing may work ;)

Definitely dont, from my experience its terrible...
    It's not so much about making new friends, cos that'll happen in time anyways (what with said tutorials, lectures and the societies too). It's more about going out to all these organised pissups!!

But yeah, I suppose there's plenty of time for all that yet..the only thing is, from now on I'll have lectures to go to the next day, and won't be able to sleep in (like I would have this week).

Anyways, this is all making me sound REALLY whiney, which was not my intent. I'm more amused than annoyed at my friends tbh. I shall compensate at the next mini-beers meetup though. :D (And by compensate, I mean drink more than 2 pints, cos that's all it takes. :D)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pet:
    from now on I'll have lectures to go to the next day, and won't be able to sleep in
    wouldnt worry about that pet, youre in 1st year science so the hangovers arent a huge problem- i managed just fine last year anyway :)
    (And by compensate, I mean drink more than 2 pints, cos that's all it takes. )
    2 pints :eek: surely you can handle more than that, i mean thats really not a lot?? ;)

ye just can't beat lab attendence with a hangover, made those 1st year physics labs o so much more 'fun' ;)

SkyLynx wrote:
    ye just can't beat lab attendence with a hangover, made those 1st year physics labs o so much more 'fun' ;)

Had to make a pact with myself to stop doing that.. It was horrible, esp the nite after the sci christmas ball/party.
    Couldn't have been nice either for my hot demonstrator trying to explain something to still drunk me while I burped kebab/beer and groaned queasily at her.

ah most of mine were fairly sound about my drunkeness ;)...though that emma one fs.........

It was horrible, esp the nite after the sci christmas ball/party.
    you had labs/lectures after that? i was finished for xmas by then :D oh im gonna miss my fridays off this year....

uh try having a compulsary tutorial at 2pm on a friday, with attendence taken, and having nothing else on a friday........ how painfull was dat :/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i've a 2 hour lab on wensday afternoon @ 3pm... now thats harsh

somehow my sympathy's are lacking...

You're speaking sardonically I'd imagine smith.. This yr all of friday is my lab.. The only hour we get off for lunch is designated for a bloody seminar.. Last year I had friday off!!

har har.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ApeXaviour:
    This yr all of friday is my lab.. The only hour we get off for lunch is designated for a bloody seminar.. Last year I had friday off!!
    are you the one doing astrophysics ApeX (or physics annyway)?? kinda hope i dont have something like that if i choose that next year, thats really yucky :/

yeah i had friday off last year, dunno how im gonna cope with no more 3 day weekend!!

some of us never had one of those :/ best we ever had was a compulsary 2pm lecture on the friday and monday's...hoe's and ye are supposed to have more hrs?!

Oh fiddlesticks. My timetable is GHEY. Although, I do seem to have a free friday..however methinks that will soon be filled with bloody labs.

For example, on Mondays I have lectures from 9-11am, then from 2pm-3pm. 3 hours isn't long enough to go home, so I'm stuck in town, with nothing to do. Yay. Similarily, on Thursday I have a lecture from 1-2pm, and another from 5-6pm. Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

Hangovers in physics labs are a nightmare ugh nothin beats goin in sitin down pissed and alf way through the exp you have to puke your guts up
    Insecond year though me and my lab patners made i even worse every tine we needed a lab to be handedd up we did it the night before ,nothing can describe bein up all night typing doin errors (which by the way physics students can be done in around ten seconds lat on mathematica!!) and then doin a lab with one asleep on the bench one halicunating about blankets while the other has to stand there bemused while the demonstrators turn off you power and your too tired to realise and panic about not getting it done while they laugh at you from afar,This happened every three weeks or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

My experience as a fresher, as detailed last year
    here

Apex, you still close to your mates you started with.

are you the one doing astrophysics ApeX (or physics annyway)?? kinda hope i dont have something like that if i choose that next year, thats really yucky :/

Ah I was only taking it outta context. The rest of my timetable is pure quality: 18 hours total incl labs, no 9 o-clock starts, 2-3 lectures a day only, 2pm starts on mon and wed! This is a great timetable esp when compared to chem and AM
    celingfan wrote:
    nothing can describe bein up all night typing doin errors (which by the way physics students can be done in around ten seconds lat on mathematica!!)
    Aye those weren't fun either.. My preference was MS excel.. equally fast, plus you had printable tables.

Boston wrote:
    My experience as a fresher, as detailed last year
    here
    Ouch! How you feelin now by comparison..

Boston wrote:
    Apex, you still close to your mates you started with.
    Aye, very much so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Allot has changed, for starters Donal's my favourite lecturer now. Made a fair few friends. going out with someone in my year. work seems easier to handle now then it was. Just relaxed and became myself, for no reason half way through the year. became allot less stuck up and stressed. Allot I started in a simpliar way to you apex. With one very close and one close friends, though we had a bust up at the start. Now I've very close to one, and really can't stand the sight of the other, over afew things, not to mention a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

go to one of the debates on wednesday or thursday and make friends with some people at the debates,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭geo

Pet wrote:
    For example, on Mondays I have lectures from 9-11am, then from 2pm-3pm. 3 hours isn't long enough to go home, so I'm stuck in town, with nothing to do. Yay. Similarily, on Thursday I have a lecture from 1-2pm, and another from 5-6pm. Bah.

i think i have pretty much the same as you...are you doin math phy and chem ya? I think we have skylynx for at least 1 lect in the year...not on the timetable yet tho some comp thingy.And afaik we get 1 3-hour lab in both phy and chem

• Advertisement

lol i doubt u'll have me, just someone i'll assign......
    so ye can learn how to use bsd/linux , and probally never use it again ...

Advertisement