Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High Fuel consumption

Options
  • 07-10-2004 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Please excuse me if this question sounds daft to you but I have no idea when it comes to cars.
    So...
    I recently went from 1.4 to a 1.8 (petrol) car (both Golf's). I travel the exact same journey everyday. The 1.4 was very economical (A full tank would do the week) but the 1.8 is eating in three days what the 1.4 took at least 5 to do. I know the bigger engine might consume more fuel but this is crazy. Could there be any mechanical reasons for this? (not a leaking tank :P) Or is this just natural?!?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Afraid so, thats what you get for the larger engine. Is the 1.8 a turboed GTI?? That would explain a lot

I had the same this happen when I went to the 1.8 focus from the 1.6. It just happened that engine was a less efficent design also.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

That's the reason why the vast majority of the population drive cars of 1.6 Litre or less !!

Why a 1.8 Petrol ? Would you not have considered a 1.9 Diesel ?

I drive 2.0 Litre Accord , 40 yo-yo's does me for the week .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's the reason why the vast majority of the population drive cars of 1.6 Litre or less !!

Why a 1.8 Petrol ? Would you not have considered a 1.9 Diesel ?

I drive 2.0 Litre Accord , 40 yo-yo's does me for the week .
    Insurance & tax are less on smaller engined cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

Thanks for the replies guys

It's a straight 1.8, no frills. Tax is clse to 450 euro and the insurance company loves to see me coming. I was in a position that I had to take this vehicle but now I see myself entering the car buyers arena once again. I actually had access to a 2lt dsl for a while and it was doing the trip for about €40. I think I will be after a dsl first or a another 1.4.

Once again, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

I drive a 1.2 Opel Astra '00 and my weekly fuel bill is €25 - do about 350 miles per week.

My brother drives a 1.6 mondeo '98, does the same trip (we work in the same town) and his bill is €70 p/w.

I think age and engine size matter, but a big factor is the person behind the wheel. You can have a big influnence on economy if your driving style is right ie

avoid stopping and starting by reading the road ahead and adjusting your speed accordingly

keep to a constant speed, between 50 - 55 being about right to maximise fuel consumption effieiency

avoid carrying unnesscery weight and roof racks.

consider car pooling if possible - not always an option, in my case we start work at different times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Insurance & tax are less on smaller engined cars

Okay , along with the above it is one of the factors which persuade car buyers in Ireland to choose lower powered cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Please excuse me if this question sounds daft to you but I have no idea when it comes to cars.
    So...
    I recently went from 1.4 to a 1.8 (petrol) car (both Golf's). I travel the exact same journey everyday. The 1.4 was very economical (A full tank would do the week) but the 1.8 is eating in three days what the 1.4 took at least 5 to do. I know the bigger engine might consume more fuel but this is crazy. Could there be any mechanical reasons for this? (not a leaking tank :P) Or is this just natural?!?

Thanks

Does your new car have aircon?

Even when switched off some aircon systems can have a very bad effect on fuel economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Could be badly in need of a tune. Bigger engines are not always uneconomical though. If a car is heavy and you have a small engine as opposed to a small car with a big engine the latter may be more economical. The 1.6 CRX I used to have was easier on petrol than the 1.0 and 1.1 cars I have also owned. Though I agree that the driving style can male a difference. Perhaps you are over reving the 1.8 after being used to the smaller engine.

Advertisement