Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike Test

Options
  • 07-10-2004 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I taking the bike test towards the end of this month and I'm having trouble finding any details on it. Can anyone who has done it give me a quick rundown of what is involved.

A couple of things I'm wondering, do you need an L plate for the bike ? Left foot down when stopped, right foot on rear brake at all times ?
    I've heard of fails for poor lane position, can someone elaborate on this. After 5 years of accident free riding I have my own ideas on this but I would like to know what the tester wants.

Testing center is Tallaght so any info on the likely route etc. would be good.

Finally, do I need to do a pre-test lesson. If so, who does them and how much do they cost ?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Canaboid wrote:
    A couple of things I'm wondering, do you need an L plate for the bike ?
    Nope.
    Left foot down when stopped, right foot on rear brake at all times ?
    Not strictly, but it's recommended by most schools.
    I've heard of fails for poor lane position, can someone elaborate on this.
    Try to keep just left of centre in the road for the most part. Since you're a bike, you can afford to give parked vehicles more room, while still staying on your side of the road. Try to give a door's width. When turning right, look, indicate, look, then move into the middle of the road, about a foot left of the line. Don't cut the corner. When turning left, look, indicate, look, then move slightly leftwards. Don't line up right against the kerb - on a left turn, if any part of your bike leaves the roadspace, e.g. when you lean, your handlebar is leaning over the path/kerb, you will fail. On both turns, keep your road position. So for the left turn, don't move out to give yourself space, then swing wide after the turn - remain the same distance from the kerb throughout. Ditto on the right turn.

Do a lifesaver before any change of road position whatsoever. This includes pulling in and moving off (even when you're doing the walking speed bit - I was failed for not looking over my shoulder before doing that :(). However unlikely it may be that a cyclist is in your blind spot before a left turn, do the lifesaver anyway.

On the walking speed bit, the tester will be on your left hand side. So use your footbrake to control your speed. It's not as harsh, he can't see you doing it, and it leaves your right hand free to give the throttle your full attention.
    In Tallaght, you come out of the test center, take a right, all the way down past Dunnes, take a right at the T-junction, then the next left into the industrial estate where Power City is. Then you will do 3/4 laps clockwise around there (around behind power city, out onto the main road, then back into the estate) and 3/4 laps anti-clockwise. Take a quick look to spot anything. It's usually quiet, trafficwise, but the roads aren't marked much, and are a bit crap.
    Finally, do I need to do a pre-test lesson. If so, who does them and how much do they cost ?
    ISM do them. But they're not cheap, although they are two hours.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Canaboid wrote:

Cheers.

I did my test in Tallaght too, almost 2 years ago. (Restriction comes off in 4 months.) Agree with Seamus's tips. Practical part of test consisted of 2 laps to the left, 2 to the right on a 2 mile circuit. Riding at walking pace and a U turn. That was it.
    Pretty basic test. But I did take lessons and had >15 years car driving experience. But that's not completely relevant.

Regarding lessons: how many have you taken? None? Do a pre-test. Why risk failing and having to wait a year for another test? Why pay over the odds for insurance?
    Lessons from IRTA (link on the FAQ) cost about 25-30 yoyos per hour. YKIMS

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I passed my A1 test in Tallaght first time no problems but failed my A test for observation and lane position, dont forget the life savers before you move in the lane, make a turn or a bit during the U turn. But you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

i did the test in churchtown (same place i did the car test) and found it to be a piece of piss

basically after the usual rules of the road questions...its up on the bike...a circut going left 3 times...he follows in his car then pulls you in , makes you do a u turn in the road and makes you travel at walking pace for 15 - 20 feet

then its a circut to the right 3 times

dont forget your lifesavers...wear a high vis jacket on the day make sure all your lights are working and tax is up to date

like i said its pretty easy...in a way so easy its not funny

i'd totally reccommend getting some lessons...ive found Irish Rider training to be the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I failed the test in Tallaght :(

Route is exactly as described, suggest heading out to familiarise yourself with it beforehand but not while there's a test in progress (how would you like it?). I was told road position should be just to the left of the centre of your LANE, not the road.

Two things that got me failed were not making progress: When pulling into traffic/turning right I was waiting for a gap big enough for me and the tester. Told me afterwards I should have kept going and not worry about him keeping up.

The other was failing to anticipate danger or some such. A burberry capped boy racer twat coming the other direction nearly had me off the bike rather than wait three seconds behind a parked car for me to pass. I hope he dies roaring.

Best of luck with the test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I passed the A test in Tallaght yesterday (in the middle of a storm). Thanks to everyone for the advice in this thread, it was a big help.

Did one pre-test a couple of weeks ago and spent 30 mins riding the test route last Sunday. Got one mark against for not making progress (Hello. Carpet of wet leaves) and that was it.

I did it on a CB500 and he didn't ask/care if it was restricted.

Thanks again for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Canaboid wrote:
    I passed the A test in Tallaght yesterday (in the middle of a storm). Thanks to everyone for the advice in this thread, it was a big help.

Did one pre-test a couple of weeks ago and spent 30 mins riding the test route last Sunday. Got one mark against for not making progress (Hello. Carpet of wet leaves) and that was it.

Congratulations.
    Now its only two more years till you can un-restrict your bike ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Canaboid wrote:

Good show old man! Sometimes you wonder if these lads know what it's like to be on two wheels! There are some things that are just not worth doing on a PTW that you'd do in a car without a second thought. I did my test in February on a fe(king cold day. Roads had been like glass the previous day. Numb fingers after the test but was glad it was over.

Now the real learning begins...

I'm looking to do a 1-2 week tour next year around Europe on proper roads.

Advertisement