Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redemption

Options
  • 07-10-2004 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Suggestion:

The banned should be allowed to redeem themselves by making a generous donation to the Santa Strike Force in atonement for their sins.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 abgeurteilt

Hagar wrote:
    Suggestion:

The banned should be allowed to redeem themselves by making a generous donation to the Santa Strike Force in atonement for their sins.

That's a great idea. My previous incarnation (Verdammt) has been banned and I would welcome the opportunity to atone for my sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Fantastic idea.........

..and then once the payment clears they can be banned again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Not that great an idea to be honest.

Presumably the banned were banned for good reasons. Why should they be able to 'buy their way out of jail'?

Subscribers - who pay 50 quid a year to use extra features of the site - aren't much more special -they can also be banned for stepping out of line... introducing a get out of jail (albeit for cash) card like this doesn't seem quite right imho...

Bard wrote:
    Not that great an idea to be honest.

Presumably the banned were banned for good reasons. Why should they be able to 'buy their way out of jail'?

Subscribers - who pay 50 quid a year to use extra features of the site - aren't much more special -they can also be banned for stepping out of line... introducing a get out of jail (albeit for cash) card like this doesn't seem quite right imho...

How about "other" forms of payment !! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

My previous incarnation (Verdammt) has been banned and I would welcome the opportunity to atone for my sins.

Unlucky for you, telling us all that you were banned but are now back under a different account is a great way to get banned again. BUH BYE !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

How about "other" forms of payment !! ;)
    As in "I'll cuck your sock if you let me out of jail"?

Bard wrote:
    As in "I'll cuck your sock if you let me out of jail"?

Erm , eh

NO :eek:

Unlucky for you, telling us all that you were banned but are now back under a different account is a great way to get banned again. BUH BYE !

Ok fair enough,

I've decided to start behaving myself.

If the mods want to ban be again, then ok.

I just wanted to have my say on this tread and show that I'm really a nice guy and an upstanding member of Boardsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm really a nice guy and an upstanding member of Boardsie

Everyone makes errors in judgement and regret them later.

I've met this guy in person and he is sound.
    If it were possible I would propose his re-admittance to the Boards as Verdammt.

BTW "abgeurteilt = sentenced" is a very clever name

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A bit of a gamble no? They donate, get unbanned, get banned again a few weeks later, and start screaming about how they're entitled to access because they donated.

Nobody should get/expect any return for their donation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I actually think this is a good idea. As long as the donator understands that they'll have no immunity from being banned again.

I doubt it'd make much money though unless most of the banned can rob daddies credit card. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you are banned from the site totally then you should stay banned. As others have pointed out here what happens if the unbanned crosses the line again and gets banned again. They would scream blue murder as they paid to get access to boards again.

I would also be in favour of automatic banning of any "new" accounts they set up as well.

Yeah but Gandie think about it, user gets banned, pays 20/30 euro's to get back in, get's really stupid and gets banned again. If they're the really stupid but rich types then they keep getting banned and paying up again.

Anything that the user did can be erased with Reason and boards has at least 20/30 euro's it didn't have before.

Tbh I don't see how boards could lose.

On second thought's I don't think it would be a good idea.

What about a paroll system, whereas when someone is let out of jail early if they f*ck up major they get an instant and permanent banning (including IP).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

It would be just more of an insentive for the admins to ban people.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Fraught with complications.

Banned users stay banned. They can obviously sign up again but if they go back to their old ways then they will get banned again in due course.

SSF wants nothing to do with that sort of thing and is not part of Boards Ltd and is a creation of the community here. I also dislike the idea of "oh I'll donate to a cause I could care less about in order to save my own banned ass."

I'll overlook the fact that you are back on the understanding that you are going to stay under my radar.

I'm going to close my eyes now and count to ten and when I open them you'd best not be around. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

banning IP's is not a good idea, what if 5 users share the same ip address? all 5 get punished for the sins of 1 user

Nuttzz wrote:
    banning IP's is not a good idea, what if 5 users share the same ip address? all 5 get punished for the sins of 1 user
    Oh, the stories that could be told. Cloud banned all of Cork once. That was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

seamus wrote:
    Oh, the stories that could be told. Cloud banned all of Cork once. That was funny.
    That's not funny, it sounds like a good idea to me. :)

DeVore wrote:
    SSF wants nothing to do with that sort of thing and is not part of Boards Ltd and is a creation of the community here. I also dislike the idea of "oh I'll donate to a cause I could care less about in order to save my own banned ass."

Ah well yeah, but the money could go to boards itself rather than SSF. After all it's the troublemakers that give the admins the most work out of all users.

But like I said, it may not be worth the effort in terms of time v money.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think DeVore need BaddieMusic(tm). Y'know, whenever he appears on Boards. Something sombre and stirring.

DeVore wrote:

I'll overlook the fact that you are back on the understanding that you are going to stay under my radar.

DeV.

Is there a chance that you could unban "Verdammt" on the understanding that we never cross path's again ??.

And should the crossing of the paths happen I promise to f*ck off and not come back. ;)

Is there a chance that you could unban "Verdammt" on the understanding that we never cross path's again ??.

. <----You

.<---message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

seamus wrote:
    Anyone else willing to donate to boards if he does it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

seamus wrote:

The poster or the county???

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

his sig kinda gives it away anyway :eek: , and i don't even speak French

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

seamus wrote:

What did boards do for Langers that day?

Advertisement