Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No free slots????

• 07-10-2004 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I’ve been with UTVip since it came into existence, never had any problems. I applied for Clicksilver on the 23rd of August and after my initial ‘your application is being dealt with’ email, heard nothing more, after sending three emails looking for an update. I called UTV two days ago to be told that they were told there are ‘no free slots’ in my exchange…eh. :rolleyes:

I’m in Newtownmountkennedy and I’d imagine that there isn’t a huge queue of people looking for broadband here yet. There was a full page article about broadband coming to Newtown in last weeks Wicklow People but even if that had prompted an influx of people looking for broadband I had applied prior tot hat so where are all the slots for the people that having read the article might now want to avail of??

Any suggestions as to what step I should take next. I was going to call Eircon or the exchange, but thought I’d ask here first as you guys seem to know your stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i bet if you were to go for eircom dsl there would be no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You'll just have to wait until Eircom open up a port for you at the exchange. Call them to get more details as my knowledge of them is limited!

However, Im certain that if you ordered through Eircom in the first place, they would have immediately opened a port for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

There's a forecasting process in place which covers all the industry and they forecast the ports they think they'll need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

query wrote:
    There's a forecasting process in place which covers all the industry and they forecast the ports they think they'll need.

And then Eircom block off that many because they know the demand is there for it.

Do as .Murderer said, I bet Eircom will find a port for you on the spot . I would contact bobby.hannon@comreg.ie first though , tell him where you stand now and tell him you are being forced to order off Eircom and are about to do so.

M

Eircom retail put in their forecasts like everyone else and no-one has any visibility of anyone else's forecasts.

As far as I know, UTV resell the Esat service who in turn take that from eircom wholesale so I would check through Esat first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

query wrote:
    Eircom retail put in their forecasts like everyone else and no-one has any visibility of anyone else's forecasts.

As far as I know, UTV resell the Esat service who in turn take that from eircom wholesale so I would check through Esat first

that dosnt sound right to me, as far as i know esat and utv just resell the eircom product why would utv go through esat?

It could be for any number of reasons - backhaul sharing for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

UTV certainly deal with esat for at least part of their dsl service. To what extent that relationship extends, we don't know afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Isn't it UTV + Esat in areas where Esat have unbundled, and UTV + Energis everywhere else?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

I hear ya Muck, but the whole point is that I don't want to use Eircom...for obvious reasons, and I will never use Esat after their terrible no limits fiasco way back when, they didn't want me then so they sure aren't getting a penny from me now. I'd rather do without broadband than go with either of those incompetent companies. So..I’m not sure where that leaves me. Guess I’ll make a few calls, or something. Then send off an email to comreg? Christ it’s at times like this I wish I could emigrate! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Muck wrote:
    And then Eircom block off that many because they know the demand is there for it.

Do as .Murderer said, I bet Eircom will find a port for you on the spot . I would contact bobby.hannon@comreg.ie first though , tell him where you stand now and tell him you are being forced to order off Eircom and are about to do so.

M

There is no evidence whatsoever to give Comreg that Dannygirl is being forced to order off Eircom - DG has not even made an inquiry from Eircom as to availability - Comreg would most likely just laugh at a complaint like that if they were approached now.

Surely the best course of action would be to inquire from Eircom if they are prepared to provide a connection and if they are then both UTV and DG should complain strongly to Comreg.

Yea Dub, I'm not going to jump the gun and start complaining until I have all the facts. And I'm getting them, slowly but surely. Fingers crossed it works out, but no doubt there'll be a lot of emails, phone calls and hassle first. Great country this eh? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It's all done on forecasts and while eircom retail may have a port for you that doesnt mean that there is anything underhanded going on just that they either forecasted better for that exchange or have had less takeup on that exchange...

Iago wrote:
    It's all done on forecasts and while eircom retail may have a port for you that doesnt mean that there is anything underhanded going on just that they either forecasted better for that exchange or have had less takeup on that exchange...

If there's been less take up on the exchange shouldn't that mean there's some slots to spare for me?? Or am I misunderstanding you completely? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

each company forecasts on an individual basis, so if utv asked for 50 ports and you were the 51st person then they wouldn't have a port for you, although eircom retail or esat bt could have spare ports..

so if eircom forecasted 50 ports and only got 20 subscribers, then they would have 30 spare ports but utv can't access them...

does that make sense?

Well yes, it makes sense. But I know someone in this town that ordered with UTV on the 7th of Sept and has it up and running since the 28th. I ordered on the 23rd of Aug and nada, UTV said they were told no free slots. Does that make sense? I might be way off beam but I'm wondering did I order too early...sounds weird even to me but it's all I have to go on at the moment. Monday will shed more light hopefully.

Advertisement