Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many times have you seen the Pope?

• 07-10-2004 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Just for the hell of it how many times, not that it matters, have you seen the Pope?
    I saw him twice. Once in 1979 at Knock, and then in Rome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Does on the telly count?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Just the once myself. On the runway in Dublin Airport when he touched down. Came away from the experience feeling very holy! Well I was 11 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

KdjaC wrote:
    Does on the telly count?

kdjac
    If I say yes, telly appearances count, would you be able to accurately count them? And don't just say 'oh, I saw him hundreds of times', let have an exact number. ;)
    But, it might be easier for everybody if we don't count telly appearances, ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Twice for me.
    The Phoenix Park, Dublin in 1979 when I was 5 yrs old.
    St. Peters Basilica, Rome in 1988 when I was 14 yrs old.
    Both times I was incredibly underwhelmed. I'm gonna burn in hell :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Both times I was incredibly underwhelmed. I'm gonna burn in hell :eek:

Hes the freakin' Pope!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Never, other than in the paper, and I've no desire to, being atheist and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Who is the Pope now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

been in the vatican but still havent seen the pope, guess ill burn in hell to; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I meet up with JP2 at least once a year. He's great craic so he is.
    The body may not be so able any more, but the mind is still there and he's such a nice peaceful guy. (Having said that the guy could drink in his early years.....He'd be lashing back pints of Creme de menthe!)

He's always very concerned about how to reduce the numbers on the naughty list....and he's awful persuasive as well (one year he convinced me to get the elves to knock out a load of rosary beads and include one in every present going to buddhist children around the world to try and increase his numbers, but I learnt my lesson and now I stay out of all that sort of thing).

Santa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

1979 - Dublin
    1997 - Paris
    2000 - Rome
    2002 - Toronto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

never seen him in person not that i'm bothered by it. he is just another figure of the church stuck in the 1950's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Flukey wrote:
    1979 - Dublin
    1997 - Paris
    2000 - Rome
    2002 - Toronto

Are you stalking him?

I see him twice a year at the Dublin Wax Museum... does that count? They have the actual Popemobile that he used in Dublin there...

Also, last year in Rome I heard him over the PA system at St. Pauls. He sounded funny... like one of Spike Milligan's characters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

Twice... both in Vatican.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

none... i'm only 18

I meet up with JP2 at least once a year. He's great craic so he is.
    Ya didn't meet up with Elvis while you were there, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

i met JP many times, we used to be in a ska band and would rehearse in a lock up down in Athlone. good bass player and backing vocals werent bad either.

shame he answered the call !

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eefs

Flukey wrote:
    1979 - Dublin
    1997 - Paris
    2000 - Rome
    2002 - Toronto

Pope Groupie.

Hes the freakin' Pope!

"Apparantly" he's God's representative on earth ie. God's spokes person or P.A. :rolleyes: (load of BS if ya ask me tbh)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flukey
    1979 - Dublin
    1997 - Paris
    2000 - Rome
    2002 - Toronto

Are you stalking him?
    ROTFLMAO :D
    hehehehe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

"Apparantly" he's God's representative on earth ie. God's spokes person or P.A. :rolleyes: (load of BS if ya ask me tbh)

You'd think he'd be taller.

I wouldn't say I am a Pope Groupie, but it is an experience sleeping in a field with 3 million people, also there to see him.

• Advertisement

You'd think he'd be taller.
    Well he wears a long dress/cloak thingie... maybe he's kneeling? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Penfolds

Flukey wrote:
    I wouldn't say I am a Pope Groupie, but it is an experience sleeping in a field with 3 million people, also there to see him.

Flukey, You've slept with 3 million people.....and in a field aswell.. :eek:
    I'd definitely say you weren't the groupie, you were the grouper (or whatever the opposite of groupie) by the sounds of it !
    You sir deserve a medal and the admiration of all boards members.

Sorry to taint this thread with toilet humour but I couldn't let a comment like that go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If 'seeing the Pope' is some new slang for masturbation, thousands of times. If you're being literal, zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Only the once, which is enough

Penfolds, I was expecting someone would make that sort of comment as I have heard it before when mentioning that experience. So to clarify: I have slept by myself in a field where about 3 million other people were also sleeping. Imagine the queues for the portable toilets! Luckily, I have a very strong bladder. Incidentally on another occasion I slept in a field in which about 1 million people were sleeping and on another occasion in a field where about 800,000 people were sleeping. They were just one element of a much larger and wonderful experience. A once in a lifetime experience, that I have done 3 times. Some of you here could take the opportunity of doing it next year, if you were genuinely interested in seeing the Pope, but I don't think I'll be taking the opportunity of doing it for a fourth time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

never,

If 'seeing the Pope' is some new slang for masturbation, thousands of times. If you're being literal, zero.
    WHAT?! ARE YOU CRAZY? JESUS IS NOTHING SACRED.
    Oh $hit! You made me blaspheme. Aw feck, now I'm goin' to Hell.

Anyhow while we're on the subject, how many times as you would say have 'seen the Pope'?
    Thousands of times isn't a real estimate is it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

PH01 wrote:
    WHAT?! ARE YOU CRAZY? JESUS IS NOTHING SACRED.
    Oh $hit! You made me blaspheme. Aw feck, now I'm goin' to Hell.

Anyhow while we're on the subject, how many times as you would say have 'seen the Pope'?
    Thousands of times isn't a real estimate is it now?

I had an operation to correct my eyesight when I was 29, I'll put it to ya that way.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

eefs wrote:
    Pope Groupie.

A Poopie, or a Gropie perhaps?

• Advertisement
Advertisement