Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highland Radio Tomorrow

Options
  • 07-10-2004 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm being interviewed on Shaun Doherty show tomorrow (Friday) morning around 11:00 a.m. on Highland Radio, Donegal's local radio station.

It's mainly about my own 'cross border' broadband but I'm sure I'll be asked to comment about Broadband issues in general :)

For anyone interested in hearing it, Highland Radio don't archive but you can listen live online

Martin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Excellent, Shaun Doherty's show is the most popular on Highland Radio. Should be worth listening too :) Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Can anyone save a copy of the live stream?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Excellent public information broadcast by Martin.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

viking wrote:
    Can anyone save a copy of the live stream?
    available here except the last 30 secs or so which I didn't get recorded; I was just finishing off about issues with MAN's.

Martin

Edit:

Just realised I cut off much more than 30 secs as I went on to talk a bit more about wireless in general - anyone else happen to record it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well done to you Martin.

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    Well done to you Martin.
    Thanks, Damien, again I would emphasise to everyone how important it is to get your local media involved, I went up to the shop just after the interview and three different people spoke to me about it.

The committee have done a great job in getting Broadband talked about in the national media, but the local media are just as important. People have asked many times how they can help out, here's one way, local media are always hungry for stories so get onto your local newspaper or radio station about the fact that you can't get Broadband in your area, that your area is being deprived of what is now an essential utility.

If you need help in preparing something, the committee will be delighted to help you.

Martin

Very good Martin. I heard it all. Sounded to me as though Shaun would be interested in doing an Internet Special show, after his comment about people needing to be educated about the Internet and Broadband.

Even if he did a - one hour Internet info chat special - it would help, as local radio is a very important medium for informing the general public, as well as being part of their brief.

There were a number of interesting calls about broadband, after your interview, but Shaun himself admitted that he was not very knowledgeable about the whole subject.

However, he really appreciates how important it is for both the commercial/job creation possibilities and it's social/educational importance.

People are becoming more interested in the Internet, by the day.

Despite Eircom. ;)

Paddy20 wrote:
    There were a number of interesting calls about broadband, after your interview,
    I had to go out and missed those calls, what sort of things were they asking about?

Martin

Mainly the difficulty in obtaining broadband even when your local exchange is enabled due to the wide geographical spread of Donegal and the long distance most people are situated from their local telephone exchange.

Also, there was a call from an English resident who complained that he could not believe that broadband was not easily available to him, as it had been something he was used to in the UK, and not having access had nearly driven him mental. Until he managed to get a Dublin outfit to install a Sat link which has helped him, but he is still annoyed and frustrated.

A company from Derry offering a wireless set up rang, they stated that they have installed a number of wireless broadband links in the Inishowen area, and added that if they had ten or more possible customers expressing an interest anywhere, then they could install the very latest and most secure [anti-hijacking] wireless broadband systems within 90 days in a new area.I think they were called W.E. Wireless .

The rest were mainly agreeing with your statements, as far as I can remember at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Paddy.

Hope

Paddy20 wrote:
    A company from Derry offering a wireless set up rang, they stated that they have installed a number of wireless broadband links in the Inishowen area, and added that if they had ten or more possible customers expressing an interest anywhere, then they could install the very latest and most secure [anti-hijacking] wireless broadband systems within 90 days in a new area.I think they were called W.E. Wireless
    That's NWE Wireless based in Derry. They started a thread here over a year ago and I talked to them at the time as Letterkenny wasn't enabled and I was interested for my business there. They talked a lot about how keen they were to get into Donegal but they never came back to me and I've never heard of them dong anything much in Donegal - I suspect (but may be wrong) that the links in Inishowen are just coming off their base station in Derry.

Note:
    Just checked their website and their coverage map shows a node and access point in or near Buncrana, mind you I'm not sure whether that is actually up and running or whether it was something they planned to do. The website says "slightly out of date" but AFAIR it said the same thing when I last looked at it a year or so ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement