Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM debiting my card but no cash....

Options
  • 07-10-2004 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

When in France during the summer I went to an ATM machine.

Put my Cirrus card (Bank of Ireland) in and pressed in €120. After about 30 seconds however. It just said "your transaction has been finished" and gave me back my card. I thought this kind of odd because usually like in Ireland the ATM machines will give you more standard messages. I waited but no money came out.

I then felt the gap where the money comes out and it seemed pretty normal. (no signs of tampering) I put my card in again and requested €40 and this time I got the cash.

Now I got my Bank statement yesterday only to discover to my disbelief that my card has been debited for the €120 I never got.

Has this ever happen to anyone else either here or abroad? Do I have any comeback?

BTW banks name was "Caisse D'Epargne"

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Sounds odd, I'd say you're going to have a very hard time getting that cash back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

call your bank, there is a precedure to retrieve your cash, it could take up to 2 weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

jetsonx wrote:
    Now I got my Bank statement yesterday only to discover to my disbelief that my card has been debited for the €120 I never got.
    Come on jetsonx, what do you take us for? Admit it. You were p*ssed out of your brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

l3rian wrote:
    call your bank, there is a precedure to retrieve your cash, it could take up to 2 weeks

l3rian, What is the procedure to get it back?

dublinario, I wish I was that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've had something similar happen to me a few times. a couple of times in irish atms there was an odd noise - like the notes got stuck on the way out of the dispenser and no money came out. these transactions were all automatically credited back to my account. even the foreign one(s) that went wrong were too - within a few days.

if it's been a while I'd say contact your bank asap and explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Just a warning not to use any of the Bank of Ireland ATM machines for at least today as their system is down. It appears that any attempted transaction will be debited from your account but the machines will not issue any cash! Variuos message have come up like 'transaction cancelled' or 'transaction not completed in time' etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

you give all info about the transaction to your bank, your bank contacts cirrus/mastercard with that info, who in turn contact the foreign bank.... and eventually you see a lodgemnt into your account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Go to the Branch where the machine is and ask to speak to the person responsible for its maintenance even if it is not your bank , they can see an audit trail printout when they balance the machine ....within two weeks as the poster said... .

M

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

jetsonx wrote:
    When in France during the summer I went to an ATM machine.

Put my Cirrus card (Bank of Ireland) in and pressed in €120. After about 30 seconds however. It just said "your transaction has been finished" and gave me back my card. I thought this kind of odd because usually like in Ireland the ATM machines will give you more standard messages. I waited but no money came out.

I then felt the gap where the money comes out and it seemed pretty normal. (no signs of tampering) I put my card in again and requested €40 and this time I got the cash.

Has this ever happen to anyone else either here or abroad? Do I have any comeback?

BTW banks name was "Caisse D'Epargne"

The Caisse d'Epargne is usually realiable for ATMs but I prefer Societe Generale which seem to be always working. i have had a vaguely similar experience using one in a Hypermarket in Cherbourg where it seemed togo through the whole transaction and then gave up... the problem seems to be (a) the translation of messages leaves a lot to be desired (b) It seems the info coming from your bank might be poor - on some occasions in France the balance is printed and in most cases it isnt..

If I have any issues like that I check my balance the following day with 24hr banking and if there's an error ring up..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Muck wrote:
    Go to the Branch where the machine is and ask to speak to the person responsible for its maintenance even if it is not your bank ,
    errr you want him to go to France? :eek:

Its easier to correct this if it happens in Ireland as the machine will not balance correctly, i.e it should be out by your €120. But this bank should have a record of the ATM's balance available for your bank to check.

Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

GreeBo wrote:
    errr you want him to go to France? :eek:

Good Luck.
    Well Ryanair flights are so cheep at the moment....

Advertisement