Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange ranting guy

• 07-10-2004 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I can't be the only one to have seen this guy around Galway - he's middle-aged/old and goes the around the streets having big, passionate debates with himself. Anyone know who he is or what his story is? (Or in case you're a boards member too, hello!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh I know the fella you're on about.
    Absolutely no idea what's up with him though.

But I thought by the title of the thread you might've been on about that nutcase who stands on a soap box across from easons shoutin' it out for jesus, but there's actually two of those nutcases! Scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

brown/black straggly hair?

that guy always seems to be walking along fr griffin road whenever i go to get the bus in the mornings :confused:
    (Or in case you're a boards member too, hello!)
    yeah, could be Paddy20 :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

tman wrote:
    yeah, could be Paddy20 :D
    Nah, he does all his ranting in Ballybofey ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Oh I know the fella you're on about.
    Absolutely no idea what's up with him though.

But I thought by the title of the thread you might've been on about that nutcase who stands on a soap box across from easons shoutin' it out for jesus, but there's actually two of those nutcases! Scary.

I've been itching to don a costume, plonk down a milk crate and dance beside him shouting SATAN! SATAN! SATAN! and reciting from the American Constitution while The Tellie Tubbies Vs Barney & Friends Dance Megamix blares from a battered radio.
    It's funny how things have come full circle.
    Used to be Irish missionaries travelling to Africa to "save" the "savages", and now they're back for their vengence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

You should do that, Syxpac.

As for my ranting guy - once I was walking along the river to college and he was in front of me (close enough that I could hear but too far away for him to notice me) and I observed that he actually does seem to modify his rantings a bit to fit whoever happens to be walking past him. Twas very interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I always smile warmly to myself when I walk past that man wearing an Iron Maiden tshirt.

I'd love to see a busking rock band set up opposite him sometime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

SyxPak wrote:
    I've been itching to don a costume, plonk down a milk crate and dance beside him shouting SATAN! SATAN! SATAN! and reciting from the American Constitution while The Tellie Tubbies Vs Barney & Friends Dance Megamix blares from a battered radio.
    It's funny how things have come full circle.
    Used to be Irish missionaries travelling to Africa to "save" the "savages", and now they're back for their vengence :)

That lad is scary, one day I was just walking up to the bus stop in eyre square after school, walk past him and he was like "you!" (pointing finger at me) "you can repent! You must go to a church and confess and god will forgive you!", rather than yell "I NEED AN ADULT" I just walked on pretending not to notice. As such, I'd pay to see you do that Syxpak, with real money this time, too. :s

que

As would I. Shall we have a whipround? Everyone interested chip in 2 euros. That's surely enough incentive for the good Mr. Pak to risk God's holy wrath by ****ing around with His messengers? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

I am that strange ranting guy... FEEL THE LORD MY CHILD

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Could be worse - could be "feel the child my lord." eek.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Sarky wrote:
    As would I. Shall we have a whipround? Everyone interested chip in 2 euros. That's surely enough incentive for the good Mr. Pak to risk God's holy wrath by ****ing around with His messengers? :)

An activity for GLXI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Throwing 5 cent pieces into the hats of the Blues Brothers used to be fun...note:hats where still on their heads

I think that crazy old guy who sits banging two mini cymbals and hurling abuse at you whether you ignore him OR give him some money is back! Yay!

My brother used to get high and then stand in front of him chanting "One-more-tune! One-more-tune!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Inspiration for the heineken ad? No he's actually a nice guy. As to your weird guy, if I know who you're talking about I don't know what's up with him but I think her's kinda cool. I tend to gravitate towards weirdo's... if one of them dies it'll be my duty to take their place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 faz99

I met him on College Road twice.
    I thought he was on his phone. But i noticed he didn't have a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Devanert

simu wrote:
    I can't be the only one to have seen this guy around Galway - he's middle-aged/old and goes the around the streets having big, passionate debates with himself. Anyone know who he is or what his story is? (Or in case you're a boards member too, hello!)
    Let me tell you a little bit about him. He grew up in england, and is very proud of the fact that he gets stoned and goes to every significant rock concert in england every year. he tells me he is the only man in galway who can get weed and he likes to quote poetry whenever he can. oh, and little cymbal man kicks ass. go him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

faz99 wrote:
    But i noticed he didn't have a phone.
    He has a wire radio thing; he`s secret service sent here in advance of President George Bushes next visit to our native land, due by 2008. He`s tryin to blend in with the popular american view of irish people; don`t listen to his lies Devanert

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

Anyone seen the guy who sits in the doorway on shop street, near that bit where the non-pedestrian road intersects it. He always seems to be drinking, shouts randomly and occasionally has a sidekick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

yeah I know the guy I've seen him yelling at parked cars before down by the old Eyre Square..haven't seen it in about a year, is it still a waste land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Ruadan wrote:
    Anyone seen the guy who sits in the doorway on shop street, near that bit where the non-pedestrian road intersects it. He always seems to be drinking, shouts randomly and occasionally has a sidekick?

Is that the guy who plays the spoons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

i don't think i've ever seen him playing anything. Usually its dark and i'm travelling between pubs, so not much detail gets noticed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Seen him jist last weekend outside boots/eason in sop st. Just had to laugh at him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ruadan wrote:

The man's known as Radio John or John the ****.

He's a legend.

Also to be honest I have absolutely nothing against the preacher opposite Eason's. I reckon he puts a lot more effort into it than most buskers do into their crappy versions of Karma Police etc.

Fair Play to him.

I spent many a minute dismissing the Catholic Church, I don't like having to listen to ramblings mid-strut.

SyxPak wrote:
    I spent many a minute dismissing the Catholic Church, I don't like having to listen to ramblings mid-strut.

Freedom of speech. You may not like it but he's free to say what he wants.

I don't think he's Catholic either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Droogie

That guy who sits on the windowsill around the corner from Gravity/Modern Music (beside a Charity Shop) is hillarious.. We always stop and ogle at him talking to himself and explaining stuff to thin air while randomly shouting at the odd passer-by... i think this is who you are talking about..

My friends and I like to call him "the bum that shouts" so thats what he's known as to me...

Some funny ****... :D

Droogie wrote:
    My friends and I like to call him "the bum that shouts" so thats what he's known as to me...

That's probably the most imaginative name I've ever heard in my life.

His name is John. Hence 'Radio John' or 'John the ****'.

Freedom of speech. You may not like it but he's free to say what he wants.

I don't think he's Catholic either.

:)

I never said he shouldn't be allowed say what he wants, I just wish to express my dislike of street-preaching, and to a lesser extent, organised religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That's Elvis. Think his real name is something Joyce and he's from Carraroe originally (or so I'm told). Call him Elvis and he'll do an impression. He's not bad the mental bastard!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

as regards that dude shouting on the box what the hell is he talking about?
    we stopped one day and listened.he was talkin about ambassadors to countries and crap,gibberish really.i wanted the old insane shouting of jesus back....

edit: i would also pay and get m8s to pay(please do it and tell us when,quite an audience....).just like i paid my friend yesterday to go up to some knacks-and when they asked him for that euro they always seem to misplace-ask them if they were up for some gay lovin.they were actually just freaked out a lot.

Advertisement