Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viral marketing PHP scripts

Options
  • 07-10-2004 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi anyone come across any Open source viral marketing scripts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

What do you mean???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if he means a way to create spy/adware there'll be slaps aplenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

LoLth wrote:
    if he means a way to create spy/adware there'll be slaps aplenty.

From here
    "Viral marketing describes any strategy that encourages individuals to pass on a marketing message to others, creating the potential for exponential growth in the message's exposure and influence."

Gmail "invites" are a classic example of viral marketing...

Sorry, can't recommend any scripts though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the likes of the carlsberg flash movies, etc that are emailed around are examples of viral marketing. They are adverts that spread by people sending them around by email, etc. Apparently it is a very cheap but effective marketing strategy.

Now, what kind of script is it you want? Are you looking for a script that will send the emails? Then we are talking about spam!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

kbannon wrote:
    the likes of the carlsberg flash movies, etc that are emailed around are examples of viral marketing. They are adverts that spread by people sending them around by email, etc. Apparently it is a very cheap but effective marketing strategy.

Now, what kind of script is it you want? Are you looking for a script that will send the emails? Then we are talking about spam!

Ive decided to create one My self.
    AND yes its a script to send mails......and if the person chooses to send the mail to his firends to win a prize... then NO ITS NOT SPAM. :cool:

any thoughts???

• Advertisement

apologies for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

You are still however encouraging people to send mail sto addresses unsolicited in an attempt to win a prize... is this not openly inviting spam? I'll log in and send to 1000 random email addresses to increase my chances of winning. I dont care if they are friends or never heard of me before. because I am an evil spammer. :)

You could avoid this by including an authentication step in the mailing process. I send mail to mr. X. I receive mail from you to check that my email address is valid. I reply to that to have the mail head off with my validated mail address as the sender ID.

just a thought.

You could avoid this by including an authentication step in the mailing process. I send mail to mr. X. I receive mail from you to check that my email address is valid. I reply to that to have the mail head off with my validated mail address as the sender ID.

indeed.
    what i had planned was the mail u recieve will be a html mail with 5 boxes for freinds emails. the fact that u have recieved the mail means that ur email address is in a hidden field - therefore authentication is in built.

i could also build in functionality that would allow any user to submit the form only once..... dunno bout that though..

any further thoughts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sending HTML email is one thing, but don't put forms etc., in the mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

You could go the way of the classic chain mails and include a line like "send this to 5 other people and your crush will fall in love with you, send it to more than 5 people and you'll turn into a pumpkin" ;)

blacknight wrote:
    Sending HTML email is one thing, but don't put forms etc., in the mail.

Some one mentioned something about that to me before alright...whats the reason for that again... is it the email server does not like it or something?

• Advertisement

a lot of virus scanners will think the form code is "dangerous code" trying to execute and will either block the mail completely or deliver it minus the code.

Least thats what happened when I tried to send html forms in an email.

LoLth wrote:
    a lot of virus scanners will think the form code is "dangerous code" trying to execute and will either block the mail completely or deliver it minus the code.

Least thats what happened when I tried to send html forms in an email.

hmmmmmm
    any work around?? i would like to have the form on the page afterall....

Advertisement