Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Naval and S.A.R assets

Options
  • 07-10-2004 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

having seen the canadian submarine on the telly it just highlights the major problem in this country. That is that we dont have any long range S.A.R (Search and Rescue) helicopters and dont have enough ships to patrol and deal with rescue operations.

Thankfully the English were about and basically carried out the entire operation for us, including the cost !

What does everyone think about this, should the government spend more money on navy ships, S.A.R helicopters tug boats and things like that or is the status quo ok ?

Personally I think the government should be able to provide long range SAR at least. Also a few extra ships wouldnt go amiss in the navy and the country can afford it now.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

But didn't the english sell the Canadians the sub so they had to provide roadside rescue for them as part of the warranty...?

(facetious, I know..)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Disband the military that we dont need and costs us billions in claims, pour the savings made into creating a well funded and supported SAR service/fisheries protection and Garda force that we *do* need.

Solved one problem, army claims, and solved two other problems in doing so, crap SAR service and crap police force.

You had to laugh that the ship the Irish Navy did send to the rescue almost became a victim in need of rescue themselves. Their hull got holed in the bad weather and they had to return to port for repairs. Laughable.

Thank god the British are still in NI, at least we can rely on them for SAR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

It seems as though we have quite a large SAR range to cover

Sar1.gif

I think the English may have sold some dodgy gear to the candians. Second hand military gear can be good value or extremely dodgy. Another lesson for the Irish government. I.E dont buy second hand stuff.

The English were providing SAR because we cant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

six one just had an expert on...he said the brits built the subs at a cost of over a billion sterling...the canadians got them on a lease to buy deal for about 225 million

the canadians pulled out all the uk equipment and replaced it with american stuff...so there could be teething problems

whats it all aboot?

You had to laugh that the ship the Irish Navy did send to the rescue almost became a victim in need of rescue themselves. Their hull got holed in the bad weather and they had to return to port for repairs. Laughable.

Thats is so funny !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

aye, i hard that Canada bought 4 of those subs and the 4 have had constant technical problems,what used car dealer with big smile did they employ to sell those faulty goods to Canada?
    pic_securityproducts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Sand wrote:

Not if Irish lads lost their lives, anyway the ship they sent was bought from (drum roll please) the british navy........

are you sure about that? i thought it was the rosin that had problems and they didnt buy it off the English, it was built brand new from some scandavnica country

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I know that the Dauphin's had a very short range, but I thought that the Sikorsky helicopters were long range. A sea king is what you need, that or a VLR black hawk.

my bad

They did buy the Roisin off the brits new,

http://defence-data.com/dsei/pageds1049.htm

• Advertisement

Ships
    LÉ Róisín (P51)
    L.E. Roisin Roisin's Crest

Specifications
    Length Overall (metres) 78.84m
    Beam (metres) 14m
    Draught (metres) 3.80m
    Displacement (tonnes) 1,500t
    Speed (knots) 23kts
    Endurance at 15kts 6,000nm
    Complement 44 (6 Officers and 38 Ratings)
    Main Machinery 2xTwin 16cyl V26 WARTSILA 26 Medium Speed Diesel giving 5000kW at 1000rpm, 2 xShaft
    Weapons 1x76mm OTO Melara Cannon, 2x1.27mm HMG and 4x7.62mm GPMG
    Commissioned 15 December 1999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sand wrote:
    You had to laugh that the ship the Irish Navy did send to the rescue almost became a victim in need of rescue themselves. Their hull got holed in the bad weather and they had to return to port for repairs.

What happened did they hit a hard wave or a floating rock? Or is the piece of junk falling to bits every time they go out in choppy seas ? God help us.
    Parsi wrote:
    But didn't the english sell the Canadians the sub so they had to provide roadside rescue for them as part of the warranty...?

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Hagar wrote:
    What happened did they hit a hard wave or a floating rock? Or is the piece of junk falling to bits every time they go out in choppy seas ? God help us.

Think i read on the local newpaper that the ship was hit by a "freak wave" make of that as you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

magick wrote:
    aye, i hard that Canada bought 4 of those subs and the 4 have had constant technical problems,what used car dealer with big smile did they employ to sell those faulty goods to Canada?
    pic_securityproducts.jpg

Lol... I think it's because they took out the stuff that would probably work and put the American stuff in. You know what american cars are like don't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Irish SAR operations are provided by CHC Ireland ltd.

http://www.chc.ca/europe_ireland.php

They seem to do a good job at it, so I don't really see the need for the Irish government to invest in a load of long range helicopters.

The English were providing SAR because we cant

The British provided SAR to the stricken submarine because it was inside their SAR region and not the Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Irish SAR operations are provided by CHC Ireland ltd.

What does CHC stand for ? Are they associated with Celtic Helicopters (young master Haughey) perhaps?
    The British provided SAR to the stricken submarine because it was inside their SAR region and not the Irish one.

Were there any security considererations? Would they like anyone else clambering over their ex-subs?
    That wouldn't be because of a little island they claim? Rockall ?

Hagar wrote:
    What does CHC stand for ? Are they associated with Celtic Helicopters (young master Haughey) perhaps?

Ironically they are Canadian (Canadian Helicopter Corp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Sand your nautical experience astounds me.

What actually do you know about the Navy, have you every served at sea..methinks not.

The guys in the navy do an A1 job with limited resources and your comments are without fact and truth.

Before you make such disgusting comments as such check them out or keep them to yourself.

I did my time on Eithne and Aoife and we did a hard job and to the best of our abilities.

We are a Naval Service and not a War time or Nato Navy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Nuttzz wrote:
    my bad

They did buy the Roisin off the brits new,

http://defence-data.com/dsei/pageds1049.htm

The Roisin was part built in Verlome here and in the UK, I was on the sea trails crew for it.

We bought the Ciara and Orla of them both Royal navy Peacocks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The guys in the navy do an A1 job with limited resources and your comments are without fact and truth.

Sand said we have an underfunded SAR facility, which we could improve by reducing costs by scrapping another area and transferring the funding.

Exactly what part of that is without fact? (Bear in mind that you've acknowledged there are limited resources, which would seem to back up the assertion that its underfunded.)
    Before you make such disgusting comments as such check them out or keep them to yourself.
    Why don't you explain what was disgusting, and why, rather than just engaging in more of this "you're wrong cause I say so, but I won't explain why" rubbish that you seem quite fond of issuing whenever any military area you've had a connection with comes in for criticism of any sort???
    I did my time on Eithne and Aoife and we did a hard job and to the best of our abilities.
    Which would seem to back up Sand's assertion that the problem is that the service we have is underfunded, not contradict it. It doesn't matter if every single member of our Naval service does a super-human job. The service is still so woefully underfunded that it cannot do its job properly.

That is not a reflection on the efforts of those involved...it is a simple reality.

I mean...if I were to say that the Irish educational system has gone to the dogs because its underfunded, would you assume what I'm actually saying is that the teachers in the system are not doing their best and are crap?

Thats the same conclusion you've drawn about Sand's comments, and to put it bluntly....you're smack bang out of order.

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement