Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave Modem Antenna

• 07-10-2004 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

I sent a note to Navini asking them whether it is possible to remove the upright antenna and connect an external antenna. Their response was, yes it is possible and please contact IBB for that.

Then, I call IBB support and ask them the same question. The answer was NO!!

Have any of you guys tried removing the antenna? is it possible? I couldnt see any screws. If you have, how did you remove it and what kind of connecter is it? B'n'C or something else.

I was thinking of trying out different anntenae by placing it well outside and checking the signal strength as well.

Any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The antenna can be removed alright - just look for a small indentation mark on it, now look for another one on the case beside the antenna, it's on the left from the top of the antenna mount. When the two bumps line up, you can then pull the antenna (carefully!) off the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

OK.......so what do you do when you take it off?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

Red Alert wrote:
    The antenna can be removed alright - just look for a small indentation mark on it, now look for another one on the case beside the antenna, it's on the left from the top of the antenna mount. When the two bumps line up, you can then pull the antenna (carefully!) off the front.
    Thanks redalert,

i opened it and its a MCX connector. if only i could find them here ( tried maplins and Peats) I would try the provided antenna outdoors or try someother 3-3.5GHZ antenna with it and see the results.

Any pointers on MCX connectors??

I have to confess that I don't know very much about Microwave-band equipment. Just make sure you get a screened cable to connect it to the aerial.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Red Alert wrote:
    I have to confess that I don't know very much about Microwave-band equipment. Just make sure you get a screened cable to connect it to the aerial.

Yep and also make sure everything is impedance matched or you'll have some nasty reflections which could damage the modem. To be honest, it will probably be damn hard to impedance match everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

well, was looking at it the whole day and figured out its a bit more complicated than i thought. It would much more than a balanced 3.5ghz antenna and mcx... the bunny ear antenna is not the only one, there is an antenna on the side of the bunny as well. so, we need something like a phased array or a dielectri diamonds (similar to the bunnys ear). Also, need to get the VSWR matching, but then again the bunny might have the VSWR protection built in at some stage.

Can hear the IBB guys cussing...

PS:my friends been calling my Ripwave modem a bunny....

Yeah put some furry ears on it for a nice paperweight - that's about all the piece of crap is good for. Whatever 'engineer' designed that should have their IEEE membership revoked.

Advertisement