Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Official Release] Vietnam 1.2 Patch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

KdjaC wrote:
    Winters will do the fancy post later.

Damn straight!!!
    /me pokes Winters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Battlefield Vietnam(tm) v1.2
    Read Me File
    August 9, 2004
    ==================================================================

KNOWN ISSUES AND WORKAROUNDS

-- 1.2 Patch and WW2 Mod - If you have not installed the WW2 mod, It is important
    to install the 1.2 patch after installing the WW2 mod. If the WW2mod is installed
    after the 1.2 patch, the WW2 mod will not function properly. To resolve this issue
    install patch 1.2 again after you installed ww2 mod.

-- Using Geforce FX5200 type cards with high or highest graphics setting in Saigon 1968 may cause problems
    on some systems with unpredictable behaviors on player input due to low frame rates. To resolve this issue
    change the graphics setting to low or medium.

NEW CONTENT AND FEATURES

-- 3 new maps in Patch 1.2:
    -- Operation Cedar Falls is a new map that introduces tunnels to BFV.
    Minimap changes when inside tunnels, and teammate icons only appear
    if they are on the minimap the player is currently viewing (ie above
    ground or tunnels). Tunnel flags appear in the minimap as vertical flags,
    differentiating them from the regular horizontal flag.

-- Saigon 1968. Based during the Tet Offensive, the NVA have tunneled into the Saigon
    Sewer system in an effort to overtake the Presidential Palace.

-- Fall of Saigon. It's spring 1975, and the NVA are moving quickly to attack Saigon as the USA
    is finishing the final evacuations from Vietnam.

-8 vehicles are new in Patch 1.2:
    -- The A1 Skyraider in 2 versions; one for anti-infantry (MGs and napalm),
    and the other for anti-vehicle attacks (bombs and missiles).
    -- The Ontos is a new USA tank that can fire 1 round from it's 6 cannon sequentially,
    or it can empty all 6 at once.
    -- The BRDM Malyutka Complex is an NVA amphibious vehicle that fires
    wire-guided missiles. Once fired, the player camera is attached to the missile. The control
    is similar to an airplane. Right-clicking will detonate the missile.
    -- Quad 0.50 MG is a static machine gun emplacement with 4 powerful cannons. A 360 degree rotation
    and a thick bullet shield make it a great option for clearing the skies of enemy targets.
    -- T-72 is a heavy NVA tank. The driver fires tank shells with primary fire, and shoots a machine gun
    as secondary fire. The gunner fires the canopy machine gun with primary fire, and shoots out
    smoke grenades with secondary fire.
    -- AC-47 Gunship. Heavy transport/gunship with coaxial chain guns out the left side. The pilot can
    drop bombs with primary fire.
    -- M35A1 Nancy. A flatbed truck with a Quad 0.50 MG mounted in the back, an M60 facing to the
    front, and a couple armed passengers for good measure.
    -- BM21 Troop Transport. A BM21 truck with armed passenger positions filling the back.

-Mobile spawn points have been added to the 3d map.

-Unique colors for individual buddies. Once a buddy has been added to the buddylist.con (located
    in the settings\profiles\profile_name folder), that file can be edited manually to adjust the
    RGB value of the individual buddies. The unique color will appear in the mini-map, 3d map, and
    for text, and death messages.
    For instance, game.addPlayerToBuddyListByName "Player" 255.0 155.0 0.0
    = Red(R) 255.0, Green(G) 155.0, Blue(B) 0.0 --> an Orange buddy icon.

-Spectator Mode.
    -- Server must be setup to allow spectators to join. If Spectator Mode is allowed, players can become spectators
    by clicking the spectate button on the in game side bar. The player can return to teamplay by selecting
    the team button on the side bar and then selecting a team to join. **WARNING** by becoming a spectator
    a player forfeits his points and will be forced to wait before being allowed to return to teamplay. The wait
    time is set in the server interface.
    -- Spectators see the health of all players or the health of the vehicle that the player is in
    They receive all CP change warnings, regardless of team and even if that option has been disabled
    for players. Spectators see CP timers when they are within the capture radius,
    or when they are using the associated CP camera.
    -- Players do not see spectators on the 3d or mini-map, but they do appear on the Scoreboard. Here they
    are treated as regular players, with full buddy capabilities.
    -- Spectators have full voting privileges if the server allows for spectator voting.

-- Spectator Mode Controls:
    Use Space Bar to cycle through the 4 camera types, or use the associated Function key.
    Free Camera (F9), Team 1 Chase Camera (F10), Team 2 Chase Camera (F11), and Control Point Camera (F12).
    Use 'C' to cycle forward through the cameras of a particular type, and 'X' to cycle backwards.
    Spectators can not view the spawn interface, but they can view the mini-map and scoreboard using the
    regular controls. Free Camera is not allowed in the tunnels; only chase cameras and the CP camera
    may be used.
    -- Remapping Spectator Controls: If you wish to remap spectator controls, you must remap the function
    already using that key. For example, you must remap Jump (Space Bar) to remap the 'Cycle Camera Type'
    control.

BUG FIXES
    -Tank splash damage against light and heavy vehicles now works.
    -Minimap sorting order altered so players are visible above the CP flags.
    -Performance problems resolved at the temple in Ho Chi Minh Trail and Cambodian Incursion.
    -Repeating napalm sound bug has been resolved.
    -The bug with grenades that goes through bridges has been resolved.

BALANCE/GAMEPLAY TWEAKS
    -Helicopter pads at main bases will not reload or repair helicopters occupied by enemy players,
    even after the control point is taken by the enemy. Note that this is determined by the team
    the player is on, not by the vehicle they are in.

-Mi8 hitpoints reduced from 125 to 100. Rocket reload time increased from 3 to 4.5 seconds.

-Flaming Dart balance changes:
    -- SVA tickets stop bleeding after a single flag is neutralized.
    -- One team must hold all 3 flags for enemy tickets to bleed.
    -- Jeeps added to starting SVA spawn areas, and are not tied to Control Towers.
    -- Tango now spawns independent of the Control Tower.

-The static Quad 0.50 MG has been added to primary USA/SVA bases in:
    -- Siege of Khe Sahn
    -- Fall of Lang Vei
    -- Operation Flaming Dart
    -- Operation Game Warden
    -- Operation Hastings

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Very nice .... If i didnt spend my evening in the DCU pub I would have the fancy pants post ready. However I shall do one later, dont you worry.

Argh ... back to the pub to celebrate v1.2 release?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

About 1 hour to download it. Maybe less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

nice one for the TCD server. Can actually get decent speeds now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

KdjaC wrote:
    -Flaming Dart balance changes:
    -- SVA tickets stop bleeding after a single flag is neutralized.
    -- One team must hold all 3 flags for enemy tickets to bleed.
    -- Jeeps added to starting SVA spawn areas, and are not tied to Control Towers.
    -- Tango now spawns independent of the Control Tower.

from the point of view of tactics this is very interesting

Tango spawing on its own?
    It just means the rappage of the US base will last longer.
    The anti air placements will have more an affect on tactics methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

womble wars on the saigon maps are a good laugh. M60s are great for tunnels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Some fun new tanks - Ontos right click all 6 barrels at a full enemy vehicle for instant carnage :)

Shame the patch destroys your prefs / favorite list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

It doesnt it swichs you to a "player" profile but keeps your old profile which you can just reselect again ....at lest it did in my game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

It also disables punkbuster by default so you'll need to re-enable that

Has anyone actually played it properly yet?
    Any feedback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

yeah im liking it more and more ,put it this way i played BFV twice this week yesterday and today , played it once in last 6 weeks.

ps got gold medals everytime im teh bestest.

kdjac

Played it for a bit online (got owned on the new map oddly) and for a long while off line ....It seems the mutts nuts tbh waiting for tonight and the tig server to make my final judgement

Seems to be quite a nice little patch. Saigon map is pretty cool with the massive tunnels and Embassy to play around in. All round a very good patch and addition.

TiG server has also been updated to v1.2 for all to play and have fun on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Tango spawing on its own?
    It just means the rappage of the US base will last longer.
    The anti air placements will have more an affect on tactics methinks.

aye, there will be none of the oh well we can afford to lose the north flag at the start as nva

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Dataisgod wrote:
    aye, there will be none of the oh well we can afford to lose the north flag at the start as nva

the north flag, come on now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

Its good but saigon is very laggy when on servers with more than 30people. The tunnels kick as got 20killz with 4 nades on a EAUK server was so funny you just throw it off a wall and bingo you got some. The nancy is excellent for some heli chasing its like terminator 1 a car vs a wierd heli. The quads are a great idea but are a lil to weak when matched with a mi-8. The ontos things kick ass.And in my oppinion the planes all suck ass(slowness of BF1942)
    But on the plus side they are fun for a little while so it'll keep some people playing longer!

Next patch better have more music!

There shall be no more major patches for BFVietnam. This really was the last major one, adding in extras to keep us entertainted till BF2 early next year. There maybe 1 or 2 small patches to fix minor bugs or small updates but besides that its all go for BF2 :D

Meaning im gonna have to update my rig :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

On that subject i was wondering what type of PC would you need to run a server for BF2 and have max players 100+?

• Advertisement

Nasa mainframe would be my guess

Na my pc should be fine with 512 meg more ram (2600xp 9800pro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Winters wrote:
    There shall be no more major patches for BFVietnam. This really was the last major one, adding in extras to keep us entertainted till BF2 early next year. There maybe 1 or 2 small patches to fix minor bugs or small updates but besides that its all go for BF2 :D

Meaning im gonna have to update my rig :(

Any idea of what specs'll be required Winters? Judging from screenshots youll need something pretty special to run it. I Just thank god i built myself an amd64 system with a gig of ram
    :D

People dont half get carryed away with specs when a new game comes out.You wont need anything like a amd 64 to play bf 2 or else dice/ea would be missing out on the vast majorty of pc gamers id say a min of 1,5 gig cpu 512meg of ram 9600 card (or any last gen mid ranger).........Recommended 2,2 (or up) cpu 1 gig of ram 9800pro (or any last gen top ranger) and your laughing.

what worryed me is will 512k be enough to play with anything close to 100 players its fast becomeing the new 56k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I dunno man, id take another look at those screenies and have a rethink, id say it looks like it could be a case for at least a geforce 6800, maybe an amd xp 2400 and up, definitely 1gb of ram. But then again i could be wrong :confused:

Bear in mind the screenies are probably run with a uber fast graphics card. It would be runable for lower end machines, it just wouldn't look as good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

if your computer can run something like doomIII or far cry it can run that simple as. In fairness the current engine requires a lot more resources than it should :/.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

true but when you are playing the game and blasting away its the last thing on ur mind ;)

Advertisement