Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program will run via Term Services but not locally?

• 07-10-2004 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hows this one?

I have a telnet emulator called attachmate extra that is behaving very strangely. When I run it on my XP Pro machine it starts to run then appears to minimise and terminate.
    Yet when I connect to the same machine and same account using terminal services from my XP home laptop it works???

Any ideas? (PC has XP pro SP2 - XP firewall off) Laptop has XP Home SP1.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check the settings for the app on the Terminal server and make sure they are the same on the local machine.
    Start run cmd and past the link to the app onto the command line in case it gives an error message you can see.

I'm not going to ask if you have admin rights or have looked in the application log in event viewer 'cos thats too obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Yes of course I checked application log before posting *ahem* theres nothing there that looks likely.

No messages appear when lauched from a cmd prompt.

I should probably mention that when I say terminal services I actually mean via Remote Desktop Connection on XP. ie its the single user XP version rather than the nicer version you get with W2k.

Not sure how you check the app settings? can you clarify capt'n?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no idea, the settings would be application specific - check with vendor/support site.

though telnet/terminal in 2k/xp is even worse than the one in windows 3.11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

though telnet/terminal in 2k/xp is even worse than the one in windows 3.11

Yea I know thats why I use Attachmate/Extra- incidentally the XP telnet client works fine so that pretty much rules out port blocking or something like that.

Will try running the software in TN3270 mode and connecting to MVS instead of unix - that will pin down if is a pure telnet problem or not.

Been on their site - the only known issue is port blocking with the SP2 firewall - which I have deactivated.

Then i spose I might try a re-install of the app. Thanks for the suggestions.

Advertisement