Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File Sharing on Win XP Network

Options
  • 07-10-2004 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

Please Help !

I currently have 2 win xp pc's networked through a hub

Both are on the same workgroup
    I can see the other pc via Network Neighbourhood
    File / Print sharing is installed on both pc's
    There are shared folders on both pc's

but ... I cant see any of the shared files .... Help !

Regards ... Waterfordlad02

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

Right click on any folders you cannot see, and choose Properties then the Sharing tab, ensure that the option to share the folder is selected. Also ensure any firewalls on the PC are disabled or set to accept the incoming IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

MazdaMan wrote:
    Right click on any folders you cannot see, and choose Properties then the Sharing tab, ensure that the option to share the folder is selected. Also ensure any firewalls on the PC are disabled or set to accept the incoming IP address.

The sharing bit is extremely important. :p I was at work last night trying to link two machines together so I could copy a ghost to the one with the DVD burner, spent about half an hour beating my head off the wall over it and then realised that I didn't have sharing enabled. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Networking using the TCP/IP protocol is always a bit harrowing. One thing that me and my mates always had to do when lanning was to set up a guest account but that was to avoid password difficulties.

Make sure that the IP addresses are close (ie. with only the last field different) and that the subnet mask is exactly the same on both machines. Then make sure that you are sharing some folders so that there is actually something to see.

Can always try pinging the other machine just to make sure that they are connected properly. Do this by running a dos window (click 'run' from the start menu, then 'cmd') then typing ping and then the IP addy of the destination pc.

Hope that explains it. If I'm not being clear then just say so and I'll explain better...

Advertisement