Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast-The most important meal of the day

• 07-10-2004 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I seem to be going through difficulty when it comes to breakfast. I'm looking for idea's from you guys as to what you think makes a good breakfast, or what you eat for it.

Ideally I'd have an egg on toast every morning. The egg could be fried, scrambled, or poached-preferably poached. But I've been told that you shouldn't have too many eggs each week as it's bad for health somehow.

My other choices are limited. I'm not a huge fan of cerial. I like coco pops every once in a while, but basically I find it too slow to eat it on the go in the mornings. Unlike the egg I can fire it in the water and leave it for a minute while I'm rushing about then come back to it, fire it on the toast and eat while running out the door.

During the summer I got a fondness for pop tarts, but I know that they are not healthy at all. So I'm leaving them out for now.

Another option is a breakfast roll/sandwich. Expensive every day+ the health and fat content doesn't appeal to me very much.

Basically I'm wondering if you know of something that fairly simple to make that won't slow me down on my rush out the door in the mornings.

Or, what do you eat for breakfast? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Porridge - with currants and milk to make it edible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hmm... I could probably do with getting more in as well... Usually I just have a glass of OJ with my supplements for breakfast, and get a sandwich when I get into college... Probably not the best for me...

Of course, getting more would mean getting out of bed earlier...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Try sliced banana on toast - has to be a hard banana with slight tinge of green. Or else just have some wholemeal toast and grab a piece of fruit and have it on the way to work. Can't go wrong with fruit.

Have to admit though I don't have a breakfast at home on a work morning as its just complete madness in my house getting me and my two kids ready. I usually grab someting in the deli on the way in and have it in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Your joking right? this post has to be a joke.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Green bananas are not a good idea for breakfast as they are hard to digest and not a good way to get the quick energy hit you need in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Toasted bagels with cream cheese !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I rarely eat breakfast. My stomach can't handle food that early in the morning, only thing I seem to be able to eat without feeling awful is ice cream, and I don't really want to get into the habit of having ice cream every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ideally I'd have an egg on toast every morning. The egg could be fried, scrambled, or poached-preferably poached. But I've been told that you shouldn't have too many eggs each week as it's bad for health somehow.

There's never been a scientific study that's shown that eggs are bad for your health. Eggs are a very good way to start the day as they contain protein and many vitamins/minerals. People say the yolks contain cholesterol, but there have been no studies no suggest that this increases the bad cholesterol in the blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Beans on toast, grand meal, filling, nutritious... can't go wrong. Porridge (as suggested above) is excellent too. And echo Stark above about cholesterol in eggs not affecting the bad cholesterol in the blood. Also, have some fruit, you can't go wrong with fruit either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

For some reason i cant eat brekfast in the morning im always hungry but i just cant eat. I just eat at lunch time! At weekends id eat lasange!!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Every morning I have weetabix and brown bread toasted with tea and some water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

TOAST with a wide array of condiments, toast really is the best breakfast but you would probably need loads of it. i used to have wheatabix with butter and it was good, very dry though. ps dont knock it till you've tried it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

A quick search on the internet reveals 1 egg (mostly yolk) contains just under the recommended daily intake of cholesterol (300MG). However not all cholesterol is bad for you and as such it seems the old 2 eggs per week is out the window. It appears the study which said eggs are bad/full of cholesterol was finded by the cerial companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i normally eat weetabix and a danone yogurt for breakfast, doesn't take long to eat/make and is fairly light on the stomach (not a great mornin eater). i do find that i'm hungry within about 3 hours max, but if i eat a piece of fruit i can normally hang in til lunch (my favourite meal of the day).

beans on toast is nice and warm for winter, as is porrige, but it can take a bit of getting used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I usually have:

A bowl of cereal
    Glass of Orange Juice
    Cup of coffee.

This does the trick for me. Wakes me up, and keeps me going till lunch.

I used to have the problem of not being able to eat first thing in the morning. I think it's just a case of your digestive system not being used to it. Try it for a few days and you'll probably be okay. I hate not getting breakfast now..

Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I normally get some toast put on for me so when i get up its just done and I just have to butter it.If im late I normally go to McDonalds beside college and get two hamburgers.Not healthy but cheap and convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Don't worry about too many eggs - in Uganda eggs are a staple and none of them have heart disease. :)

I'm a phase person. I go through phases of muesli and yoghurt, then porridge, then toast and jam, then Tesco Malty Flakes (mmm, generic Special K rip-off).

If you are an egg man (or a walrus) then go with your eggs! Eggs are fabulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

silly question I know.. I know... but... how do u poach your eggs?!!! do you have to have a special thingie to put them into in the saucepan?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Yeah it's easier that way but you can do it some old skool way involving oil or something.

oil?!! euchh!!! oh my hips!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

we use a little bowel to lower the egg gently into the water. Oh, and it helps(apparently) to have a little vinegar in the water. My mom says that it helps keep the egg together.

Also don't have the water boiling, you can have it just below boiling point as the water is less turbulent and shouldn't let the egg disapate too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Poach an egg:

Bring the water to the boil. Crack the egg into a mug or something. Take the water off the heat, stir vigorously with a big spoon to create a vortex. Gently drop the egg into the middle of the vortex. Wait for it to cook (don't put back on the heat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love cereal.
    Lidl Strawberry Crunch... yum!

thanks lads!! will have poached egg on Monday morning!! I'll let ye know how it goes!!! :rolleyes: :D

Tried poaching an egg myself, didn't work. The white just dissipated in the water.

Got some more tips off the web and am going to try again.

1) Try just steaming (water in a frying pan instead of oil)
    2) Add vinegar/salt to the water. Helps the white stay together. Can wash off the vinegar/salt when finished cooking.

Stark - you have to get the vortex going, keeps the egg together.

What size container do you need for the vortex? Couldn't get a big enough vortex, it stopped spinning too quickly and if I try keeping it spinning then I end up breaking up the egg with the spoon. Could be that I'm not using fresh eggs, apparently the older the egg the thinner the white.

just a medium pot, have the eggs broken beforehand, in cup, boil the water, take of the heat, stir rapidly, remove the spoon, the water should be spinning, bung the egg(s) in the center, a little bit of white will dissipate, most will maintain solidity with the yolk. You can return the eggs to a low heat, not on that will boil the water rapidly, as bubbles are your enemy.

I had two this morning, lovely, nice and runny. Nyom nyom.

Advertisement