Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blast on the Israel-Eygpt Border Kills Dozens.

Options
  • 07-10-2004 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

http://olympics.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=6445277

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A huge blast tore through an Egyptian hotel used by vacationing Israelis at the border resort of Taba on Thursday, scattering dozens of bodies in what Israeli media said was a suspected car bombing.

Israeli media said part of the Hilton hotel had collapsed and medics who rushed to the Red Sea town said there were dozens of wounded.

"I heard a huge explosion. The wall near me collapsed and people began to run. There were many casualties," one Israeli witness called Yigal told Israel's Army Radio.

"The explosion was outside. When we went out we saw the shops and the internal wall of the hotel had collapsed...

"Some people said it was a gas canister explosion and others said it was a terrorist attack. There are a lot of people (lying on the ground). There is a lot of blood, a lot of screaming."

Israeli security forces had warned Israeli travelers against visiting Egyptian resorts on the Red Sea, saying they might be targeted by Palestinian bombers or other Islamic militants.

Thousands of Israelis have traveled to Egypt's Sinai peninsula, a popular holiday destination, during the Sukkot holiday. Witnesses said there were also many Russians at the hotel.

"The hotel is on fire on the eastern side, the entry point, the lobby. People are trying to get out," a reporter for Israel Radio said from the scene.

Hundreds of Israelis have been killed in suicide bombings during four years of conflict with the Palestinians. Egyptian resorts had remained popular with Israelis despite popular animosity in Egypt to the Jewish state.

Egypt is one of the few Arab states to sign a peace deal with Israel.

In Cairo, a Ministry of Tourism official said details were still not known.

"There was an explosion in the Hilton Taba hotel, but we don't have the full picture now," he said.

"There are injuries but we don't know the number," he said, adding there were possibly some deaths.

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

Reports suggest that there were three seperate blasts, Sky News currently says the casualty list is over the hundred. It also seems that this is the work of Al-Queda rather than any Palestinians, I doubt the later have the ability or means to mount such an operation. If it turns out that there was no Palestinian involvement, I wonder what the Israeli reaction will be?

Still, very depressing news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Given Israel's recent incursions in Gaza and the amount of casualties being inflicted, this was likely to happen, unfortunately. :(

If it turns out that there was no Palestinian involvement, I wonder what the Israeli reaction will be?

Its the Israeli forces that have said that they don't think that the attack as made by Palestinian forces. At least until the indepth investigation is made. They've marked this attack up to AQ at least at the moment.
    Given Israel's recent incursions in Gaza and the amount of casualties being inflicted, this was likely to happen, unfortunately.

And Given palestinian attempts to provoke Israel into moving into Gaza have succeeded, its amazing these comments still come out. All your wonderful Palestinian groups are doing is weakening Sharons support leaving Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think the quote of the week was from the Egyptian authorities who apparently told the BBC there was no evidence of terrorism. Egyptian hotels must be wired atrociously if thats the case.
    And Given palestinian attempts to provoke Israel into moving into Gaza have succeeded, its amazing these comments still come out. All your wonderful Palestinian groups are doing is weakening Sharons support leaving Palestine.

Its a handy tactic to further radicalise the Palestinians and cement support for the terrorists political wings, what with Palestinian elections due shortly last I heard - lure in the Israelis and reap the benefits at the polls.

Mind you it doesnt take much to provoke the Israelis - Im sure there are elements in israel that see the incursion as a chance to disrupt the elections as well.

As it is, didnt Sharons aide tell the Israeli press that the withdrawal from Gaza was with an eye to abandoning the road map and consolidating their position in the more strategic west bank? Sharons denied it last I heard it and the US diplomats acted surprised at this analysis but Sharon is what he is. Hes only concerned with whats best for Israel as he sees it and he knows he can literally do what he likes as its a political taboo in the US to criticise Israel - even Kerry has sold himself as being solidly pro-Israel, so theres no real debate over Israel in US politics even though it is a major albatross around their necks as far as foreign policy goes.

Advertisement