Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request

Options
  • 08-10-2004 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Just a suggestion but what do you think to any picture links opening in an new window instead of the same one? I keep looking at a picture and closing the browser window!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea when people add a picture I always close it myself, its really annoying
    using mozilla

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Can someone let us know if this is going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think this started when VB3 was brought in.
    Annoying as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Yea its when people ad an attachment of a picture taht it opens in the same window

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

General rule of thumb. If it's hosted on boards then it should open in the same window, if hosted elsewhere (including the members' space) then it should open in a new window. I didn't realise it worked differently in VB2.

So does that mena you're gona try and fixor it?

Ain't broken from my perspective ...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what i do with firefox is that i've gotten so use to using tabbed browsing that i 'middle click' links and it opens in a new tab. never lose windows now and never really did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Rather than just clicking on the link, Right-Click and either "Open in a new window", or "Open in a new tab". If you're using Firefox, and have a middle button/scroll wheel, pressing that will open in a new tab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Rather than just clicking on the link, Right-Click and either "Open in a new window", or "Open in a new tab". If you're using Firefox, and have a middle button/scroll wheel, pressing that will open in a new tab.

Yes but surely it would be better to have all links either open on the same window or open on a new one? I think the thing here is that it works different depending on the circumstances of the link. Would uniformity not be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Cr3m0 wrote:
    what i do with firefox is that i've gotten so use to using tabbed browsing that i 'middle click' links and it opens in a new tab. never lose windows now and never really did

That's a nice feature. Didn't realise you could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You can "fix" this by altering how your browser acts with new pages in the browsers options.

merc wrote:
    How about looking into imrpoving the service for the rest of us so, rather than looking at it from the point of view it "not broken"?

Well, many people consider any sort of opening of a new window for a link as being broken. It makes sense for us to open a new window in certain cases as we often have links that we don't control to things that we don't publish. Attachments don't fall under that though. You can right-click and open in a new window in most browsers afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ecksor wrote:
    Well, many people consider any sort of opening of a new window for a link as being broken. It makes sense for us to open a new window in certain cases as we often have links that we don't control to things that we don't publish. Attachments don't fall under that though. You can right-click and open in a new window in most browsers afaik.

i agree with ecksor here, sites boards.ie don't own or control (as ecksor puts it) should open in a new window and they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

No problem. I might give Firefox a long overdue go. Thanks anyway.

I'll try get used to that middle click.. as you saying its not broke.. its not
    but its a mare thing some member would like to see it being ajusted..

Advertisement