Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras - Point to Point

Options
  • 08-10-2004 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Just wondering if any are installed in ireland and what they look like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

None as far as I know - in the UK they are dark blue, about the size of a house brick and are nearly always installed on motorway bridges or overhead signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Merrion wrote:
    None as far as I know - in the UK they are dark blue, about the size of a house brick and are nearly always installed on motorway bridges or overhead signs.

The cameras mounted on motorway bridges and overhead signs are for monitoring traffic flow, not speed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Merrion is correct. It is referred to as SPECS. (www.speedcheck.co.uk/specs.htm)
    from [url]www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk:-[/url] SPECS on the other hand overcomes this problem, by averaging your speed between the two cameras. For example.. Go past the first camera at 70 mph, speed up to 90 mph, slow down to 70 mph for the second camera and 'hey presto' you have just averaged 80 mph, but in a real world it won't happen like that.
    You may have heard a report that a trial of the system was done in two locations in the UK, M1 and M20, the M1 units were near Leicester Forest East Services during the roadwork's, in one day it was reported to have recorded the details of 4300 offenders, if you take that over a year it has the potential of netting £60 million pounds in fines for the UK Government, yes and that's from one system!
    The combined efforts of all the working Gatso's in the UK generate less than a third of that.

We do not have this system in the Republic.
    Thankfully!
    yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I heard rumors that they were to trial it on the M1 quite soon but its been put back for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

The first step in implementing this system would be a rigourous enforcement of the license plate rules - i.e. no script, no little tiny numbers etc.

Of course classic cars drivers will be excempt from the license plate rules (as the rules are not applied retrospectively) and it is unlikely that the cameras will be calibrated to work with the old silver-on-black plates.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

It's just that there are two suspicious looking poles on the Naas Dual Carriageway exacctly two miles apart. If they're doing tests it's there.

The gardai have tightened up on that road lately. It was speed central for a while. It's better now.

what is on these poles?
    Whereabouts are they on the N/M7?

On the inbound lane. Left hand side.
    1st is close to the rathcoole junction. two miles before the second
    2nd is beside the 40mph sign for the limit for the new bridge they're building.
    They could be something completely different. I was just wondering if anybody knew what they looked like.
    How would you find out. Gardai not going to tell???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 excalibur17

alias no.9 wrote:
    The cameras mounted on motorway bridges and overhead signs are for monitoring traffic flow, not speed.

i was driving through tipperary and saw a speed camera on a tree, i got out to eamine it and hey presto there it was a big freakin monkey,, ah no it was a camera on a raod that might see 20 cars a day if lucky... apparently it was put there to catch local speed merchants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I think I saw that was it near Templederry?

• Advertisement

ya thats it r u from there did i see right r left?

I've changed my mind. I think they are traffic volume monitoring systems. there are a lot more than just two and i think the "cameras" are sensors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

narommy wrote:
    It's just that there are two suspicious looking poles on the Naas Dual Carriageway exacctly two miles apart. If they're doing tests it's there.

i've been told that road is being upgraded to motorway so maybe it has something to do with the preperation for that. friend of mine's an engineer who works for a company that do these things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

What part of templederry, im out in borrisoleigh and would be passing by there alot.... hope i havent got done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

It's not getting upgraded to a motorway, as there are too many private businesses and houses that depend on it for access. However, all the right turns and a large number of left turns are being closed and replaced with grade-seperated junctions and local service roads, and a third lane is being added for the full length of dual carriageway. The same is happening to the Lucan bypass on the N4.

_sheep wrote:
    What part of templederry, im out in borrisoleigh and would be passing by there alot.... hope i havent got done
    at the nenagh side before the forest.. on a hill going into templederry fairly fast part of de road,,, u can see it on the right there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

there is one on the m50 north after toll bridge

narommy wrote:
    I've changed my mind. I think they are traffic volume monitoring systems. there are a lot more than just two and i think the "cameras" are sensors.

Quoting Myself? Oh Well!

The objects that started this post turned out to be a traffic monitoring
    www.N7.ie

But i am again wondering if they have introduce these cameras.
    At MJ Floods on the Naas Dual Carriageway there are poles with 3 cameras hanging over the Roadway. I think the second set is on the city end of Naas road?

There is also similar on the N/M4

Anyone else see these or know it these camera/s have been introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

Hey lads,
    Just buy a tin of camera shy spray,
    By looking at the plate you can't even tell its on it ! It's the way to go when your driving a turbo !!!!!!

paul moore wrote:
    Hey lads,
    Just buy a tin of camera shy spray,
    By looking at the plate you can't even tell its on it ! It's the way to go when your driving a turbo !!!!!!
    here we go again!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There's also some on the Malahide Road and down on Marino Mart (both directions). On this route, I thought they were for monitoring the QBC or something like that.

I think it is a bit nasty to introduce them without warning.
    Could have your licence lost in 3 days if you were unlucky enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

narommy wrote:

The gardai have tightened up on that road lately. It was speed central for a while. It's better now.
    I`m living close to the dualler between rathcoole and kill.no cameras but the cops are really out in force between rathcoole and naas.used to rarely see them.now im off 3-4 days a week and hear or see them at least 5-10 times a day stopping people.pisses me off when im workin nights. Late afternoon seems to be their fav. time to be out.

Advertisement