Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking laptop to desktop!

Options
  • 08-10-2004 9:37am

Hi,
    I've been tearing my hair out about this for a few days so I thought I'd throw it out to Boards to see if anyone could provide any pointers.
    Basically I'm trying to network my work laptop (winXP) with my desktop PC(win2k) with a crossover cable.
    When the cable is plugged in they detect something and the flashing PC icons in the system tray light up. But under 'computers near me' nothing shows up.
    I thought that by changing the desktop PC's domain to the same as the laptop would work but when I enter the domain name it gives me a DNS error.
    I cant change the settings on the work laptop(well I can but past experience has told me not too after screwing it up!) but I can freely mess with d desktop.
    Thanks in advance,
    N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Just a couple of things to check.

You should be both on the same 'workgroup' as you are not running a domain contoller. Also are you running firewalls? Are your IP addresses in the same range or are you running a dns service?

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I had the same issue with my work laptop until I got the Admin user name and password off my deskside support contact. In my case it was impossible to network the laptop to anything outside the domain I log into in work if I log in with my LAN user id and password.

As soon as I got the Admin user id and password, and logged into the local machine, I was able to assign it a new ip address and hey presto it worked...

So find someone in the deskside support team that accepts bribes or personal service and get the info....

I'm unable to change the laptop to a workgroup. I tried that and it wouldnt let me log back into XP so I had to get the IT support guy to log in as admin and change it back onto the domain.
    Keyzer-do u have to log onto the local machine everytime u wish to network them?

oh yeah,I switched off the firewalls and no ip adr's are assinged and not sure about DNS service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Yip, local machine everytime or it won't work..
    Once logged into the local machine, I assign it an ip address in the same range as the one assigned to my pc. I turn off the firewall on both machines and disconnect my broadband (just for safetys sake). I have my pc connected to the broadband modem over usb btw.
    I do an ipconfig /release then /renew on the laptop and roberts your fathers brother, it works...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

oh yeah,I switched off the firewalls and no ip adr's are assinged and not sure about DNS service
    No ip address' are assigned? Setting static IPs are the easiest way to network 2 computers IMO. You say you cant change the laptops settings, well, what are the laptops settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭clearlyn

Hi
    I am a newby to the forum so forgive me.
    My kids are pressuring me to network our home laptop with my company laptop(which I bring home in evenings) for game playing.both laptops are on XP professional. Can anybody point me to a web page that can provide the process step to step.

Thks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

all you need is a simple crossover cabel (must be a crossover not a standard network cable unless using a switch) connect the 2 pcs together and make sure that the netword domain/workgroup are the same and the computers do not have the same name --> right click My Computer and go to properties then computer name then change .... NB DO NOT change the work PC settings as this will cause trouble in work when trying to reconnect set the home pc workgroup/domain to be the same as the work pc. Crossover cable avail from Peats on parnell st or most good pc shops for €5ish can get better if you search the web.

this site seems ok (20 second google search)

Networking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

all you need is a simple crossover cabel (must be a crossover not a standard network cable unless using a switch) connect the 2 pcs together and make sure that the netword domain/workgroup are the same and the computers do not have the same name --> right click My Computer and go to properties then computer name then change
    If they just want to connect the machines for gameing, then it's unlikely that they'll need to be in the same Windows Domain. So just changing the IP address on the home machine may be sufficient, provided the work laptop has a static IP address, If the work laptop has a dynamic address, then dynamci addressing on the home network my be sufficient to get things working.

Advertisement