Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restaurant Recommendations

• 08-10-2004 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hey fellow Rebels!

Looking for a few recommendations for restaurants (preferably outside the city as we'll be driving and parking is just too much hassle)

Any places that have nice EARLY BIRD menu's. I've heard lots about Il Primo (above the Silvey Key) in Ballinlough so i'm defo gonna try that out soon. Any other rec's?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

depends on what side of the city youre on but if youre anywhere near douglas then id definitely recommend Ecos, its on the main st next to Barrys pub (where you can go for a nice pre/post meal pint) and has a great selection of 'world food' at very reasonable prices. they have early bird too (before 5 or 5.30 i think) . you might want to book ahead though especially at weekends cos it gets fairly busy, you should be able to find the number in golden pages.
    -t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Have u heard of the Barn Restaurant in Cork? Well i think its a brill place to go for a meal!! The food is gorgeous there!

Check out this link ;)

Speaking of food i could do with a gorgeous home made dinner right now! I'm starved!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TattyTeddy

Hey,
    I need a quich reply to this PLEASE. I really wanna get a chinese takeaway but I don't have the number of any good place that delivers, all the numbers I have are dodgy places!! C'mon people! I need recommendations!

Try the China Gold in the city centre. Brill place to get a chinese! ;) Havent got the number though. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Hey Danni,
    I don't know if you're willing to go as far as Midleton for your Early Bird but there a restuarant there called Raymonds. They do an early bird menu and the food is excellent!
    It's down outside the Jameson Brewery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yeah china gold is lovely, but chopsticks in Bishopstown is fantastic value and is always fab.. deliver too but have defined area...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭dinjo

Heh buddy, you said that you heard about it,so try it and you wont be disappointed........The food is UNBELIEVABLE!......the service is superb and they pull a lovely pint in the bar downstairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

I think i've heard of The Barn alright, must put that on the list
    Chopstix is my boyfriends local chineese so we have that about twice a month!!
    Will check out Raymonds the next time i'm in Midleton. We go there regularly to Leonardo's or the chineese on the main street so we'll defo try Raymonds the next time!
    Dinjo, don't worry Il Primo is top of the list!

Thanks for the rec's guys/girls!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I know you wanted somewhere outside the city but I have to mention my favourite of all times restaurant.. Currens .... its just brill..anyone else think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TattyTeddy

gubby wrote:
    I know you wanted somewhere outside the city but I have to mention my favourite of all times restaurant.. Currens .... its just brill..anyone else think so.

Oooh, I love Curran's! Haven't been there since last year. I love all the antique stuff there and the food is lovely! And right beside Le Cheile - how can ya go wrong?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Be handy if they knew how to cook food properly though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Been there twice. First time I went I got a bad steak, but I don't really hold that against them cos sometimes you just get a bad steak. Second time I went the service was very slow, but that wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been with a moaning minnie* that complained about every aspect of the meal and location. The steak was yummy though, so I'll be going back. Without the minny.

I've been shoving stuff from here and the Cork list into a Wiki, so anyone know the name of the street Currans is on?

adam

*The Great Bearded Exaggerater Damien.

Adelaide Street

Beardy could ruin any meal.

I was in Cafe Mexicana again last night. Nyom nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Le Cheile do lovely food during the day.. and really reasonable.. loved the toastie meals.. about the 6euro mark.. and big portions!! and they're smoothies and milkshakes are fab :p Love Cafe Mexicano too, so nice :D Oh and Clancy's do nice food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I have a soft spot for Scoozis and Zanzibar.
    I was not a big fan of Cafe Mexicana last time I was there.
    Currans is good for it is never tough to get a seat there, though that might not be a good thing :)

What is Oz Cork like since it came back under new management? It is a Wi-Fi hotspot, I know that much!

The Satay Chicken Skewers out in the Wy-Lam near the county hall are very very nyom in my opinion!

yeah like Scoozi's and Zanzibaar.. they're old reliables!! had a pizza in Gino's there about a month ago too.. hadn't been there in years.. and was pleasantly surprised :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I must admit that I'm not a fan of the new Oz. I don't like the new decor, and I really dislike the fact that they've slashed the choice on the menu. For instance, a chicken caesar salad with bacon cost E6.50 before, now it's a plain chicken caesar salad for E8.50. The lunch menu has a choice of about 6/7 items, none of which are distinct and unique to the Oz. Ditto for the evening menu. Having said that, I did eat there one night recently. I got the battered fish and chips and it was very nice and generous. But the place just doesn't have the choice or uniqueness anymore.

I was in Oz there a few Sundays back and I have to agree about the menu choice. We were like "Is that it ? ". Cut the choice and upped the price. Yup the decor too is just too clinical. The staff in Oz are quite friendly though and don't carry the attitude of some places.

Clancy's food is muck in my opinion. Never liked it at all. Very bland.

What kind of food is done in The Mercury Lounge. I liked the food in Pi before but the waiting staff were the most stuck up staff ever and as time passed the prices went up and the portions got smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

When the bro came back from canada a few years ago is he was offered a job in currans (hes a chef) He worked there a few weeks before he left mainly because he was sick of microwaving food, He works in Actons now in Kinsale.

Generally he thought the standard was very low inside there, also I got food poisoning once from the nite menu in Eco's so be warned.

I would defo recommend leonardos in douglas also there is a newish indian if that tickles your fancy close to the cinema in douglas that is pretty good and reasonably (plus they have a eat as much as you like on a sunday ;-) )
    -Toppy-

• Advertisement

-Toppy- wrote:
    I would defo recommend leonardos in douglas ;-) )
    -Toppy-

Oooh.. i LOVE Leonardo's!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Ecos in Douglas - v. good.

The Barn in Mayfield - havent been there in years, but it used be excellent.

Isaac's MacCurtain St. - excellent value, good food, kind of busy and difficult to get a table.

El Gaucho on Pope's quay - haven't been for a while but their argentinian steaks were great + the Argentinian red wine. Used have a crooner in the corner on Saturday nights which was always good for the atmosphere.

Absolute favourite in Cork is The Ivory Tower (Cook street I think) Chef is Seamus of RTE Soul food fame. Unusual food (e.g. oyster bloody Mary appetizer), small cosy atmosphere, very slow, encouraging you to indulge in lots of wine between courses. Prix fix, choose 5 or 7 courses. Don't go there if you have less than three hours!!!!

If midleton is in range, I prefer the Farmgate to Raymond's. I've only been to Raymond's once and it was probably bad timing - Bank holiday monday night in August - all the fish was off the menu and only one dessert choice.

If you're venturing as far as midleton, Ballycotton might just be in range too with several more great places to choose from.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Mexican place on Carey's lane (Cafe Mexicana, I think) is good and reasonably priced - plus they stock Corona, so you can feel like you're having a real* Mexican dinner.

* Note : this may in fact be a total lie.

Where is CAFE PARADISO in Cork? It won a routier award a few days ago for the best restaurant.. Wouldn't mind checking it out!

KittyKat wrote:

Ooh cool, anyone have anything to say about it?

Great place, cute staff. Expensive. Only thing that annoyed me is when I asked for organic lemonade they brought out a can and a glass. I hate that ! They do the bloody same in Amicus and Eco's. Bugs me. Go there though, it's worth it.

Danni wrote:
    Ooh cool, anyone have anything to say about it?

am.. well mixed opinion here tbh.. the food is absolutely fab.. no complaints regards quality or menu choice.. but I did think portion size was really small.. have eaten there 5/6 times (it didn't put me off ;) ) having said that.. their deserts are to die for... yum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have to say that I love the Cafe Paradiso. It is easily one of the best restaurants in Ireland. The last time I ate there, I had to take a little walk between main and desert in order to fit it all in. Brilliant.

As to the question on the Mercury Lounge, the food there is standard, but the portions are generous and tasty. There's also heaps of serving staff, so you won't be kept hanging around. I'd recommend it if you were looking for food, but not for any occasion, if you get me.

• Advertisement

Danni wrote:
    Hey fellow Rebels!
    Any places that have nice EARLY BIRD menu's. I've heard lots about Il Primo (above the Silvey Key) in Ballinlough so i'm defo gonna try that out soon. Any other rec's?

Thanks

Cany anyone tell me where Il Primo is located? Looking for somewhere after work this evening

Il Primo is located above The Silvery Key pub in Ballinlough. Do you know where Cork Con Rugby Club Grounds are? Its on the same road & same side of the road as that. You can’t miss it coz there’s only one pub on the road!

Sorry i'm crap at directions, hope it helps though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

went to cafe mexicana recently - the worst restaurant experience ive had in years - really poor food - service dodgy - and very saucy prices - circa. 17 yoyo for fajita dish - never will return

anyone know what of good indian in town? maharjah is gone to the dogs

has anybody eaten in grapefruit moon ballycotton? unbelievable place. what a restaurant.

Danni wrote:
    Il Primo is located above The Silvery Key pub in Ballinlough. Do you know where Cork Con Rugby Club Grounds are? Its on the same road & same side of the road as that. You can’t miss it coz there’s only one pub on the road!

Sorry i'm crap at directions, hope it helps though :)

Yes I think I know where it is now, its before Cork Con if you're coming towards Cork con to be on your left.

Ended up going to Leonardos in Douglas after, wasn't very impressed to say the least. Got the Fajitas and looked more like chicken curry with some wraps than chicken fajitas. :(
    Could have just been a bad night though.

flyz wrote:
    Yes I think I know where it is now, its before Cork Con if you're coming towards Cork con to be on your left.

Ended up going to Leonardos in Douglas after, wasn't very impressed to say the least. Got the Fajitas and looked more like chicken curry with some wraps than chicken fajitas. :(
    Could have just been a bad night though.

Oh my god, i'm such a dope. I didn't realise you had posted that yesterday. SORRY! You've the right place in mind anyway for the next time..

I've never tried the Fajitas in Leonardo's but i was gonna the last time i was there. Ended up getting the steak sandwich instead & it was yummy! But not the best i've ever had or anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

mire wrote:
    anyone know what of good indian in town? maharjah is gone to the dogs

has anybody eaten in grapefruit moon ballycotton? unbelievable place. what a restaurant.

Delhi Palace on Washington Street is my favourite for the food, but Eastern Tandoori in Emmet Place is a great spot to sit and eat if you get a window seat looking out over the river.

I agree - Grapefruit Moon is excellent. Eaten there twice and had a great meal both times. I think the owner/chef is one of the Ballymaloe dynasty.

Speaking of which, the Ballymaloe cafe in Crawford art gallery does a top notch lunch, but its a bit on the pricey side.....

• Advertisement

dinjo wrote:
    Heh buddy, you said that you heard about it,so try it and you wont be disappointed........The food is UNBELIEVABLE!......the service is superb and they pull a lovely pint in the bar downstairs!

Just to say I went to Il Primo last night and I was highly impressed :cool:

Do they have an early bird menu? It was half 7 when I was there so just got the evening menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

dinjo wrote:
    SOunds like a person who works there eh?

SOunds like a person who works there eh?

Quite possibly, but he is still right :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

I can definitely vouch for Lanniggans steak house in the quality hotel in shandon (plenty of parking , used to be Shandon Court) nice interior and nice fare, defo worth a gander

Anyone ever eaten in Phelans Woodview House?
    It's a B&B / Restaurant outside Blarney, faces onto the Dual Carriageway

Thinking on going there next month and just wondering if anyone has an opinion on it.

• Advertisement

I was disappointed with Cafe Mexicana aswell.
    It was bland and the prices saucy for what you got. The surroundings are very very cramped I felt and its so hot inside there, probably to fool you in to thinking you are eating spicy food when its not at all.

D-Generate wrote:
    I was disappointed with Cafe Mexicana aswell.
    It was bland and the prices saucy for what you got. The surroundings are very very cramped I felt and its so hot inside there, probably to fool you in to thinking you are eating spicy food when its not at all.
    yeah ok it is a bit cramped.. actually a lot cramped but the food is fab. Especially the lunch time prices.. up to 3pm. Otherwise not really an option on my budget.. but absolutely love the tomato tortilla soup and the refried beans nachos.. yum yum.. or the chicken enchiladas.. mmm! it's somewhere for a nice change.. just to break from the norm. Highly recommended in my opinion.. and have some Grandma's mudpie... wow!!!

Whats the El Gauchos place like? I was considering going there sometime soon.

damien.m wrote:
    Great place, cute staff. Expensive.

Went back to Paradiso there recently. Brought an ex of mine there cos he's a veggie. Meal came to about €85 although that was due to a generous tip too because the waiting staff were so nice or stoned as my dinner guest kept thinking.

Was in Table 8 the other night. Good food and the price was fairly cheap. We were the only ones in there though. Wedneday night in Cork this week was very quiet though.

yeah have been to Table 8 a couple of times for lunch.. they do good deals.. ie soup and sandwich very reasonable and tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

excellent!!! imagine the potential for a Langers chain over here!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

Cork_girl wrote:
    excellent!!! imagine the potential for a Langers chain over here!!!

it'd be the cork equivalent to seattle's starbucks chain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

Anyone have a verdict on this place thinking of goin there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

:D Greenes on McCurtain St does a good earlybird menu although I think Isaacs(in front of greenes) is better. Hoby's in kinsale, the wilton bar for sunday nosh after a night on the razz, man friday in kinsale for a 'spensive meal- i believe its the best restaurant in the world. garoidins in clon for lunches....nash's 19 for the bestest lunch in cork- open chicken on homemade brown bread with extra cucumber and pesto mayo- finger licking good...

• Advertisement
Advertisement