Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good luck for Monday Phantom!

Options
  • 08-10-2004 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Just a wee note to say that I'm crossing all my fingers, toes and all body hair for you lot on Monday - imagine them in their underwear and all that! Seriously, I'm sure you're well able to knock 'em dead at this stage - what's the gen on the other shower?

Anyway here's hoping that there'll be good news in early November and that the Spirit of Radio *plays Rush* will return post haste!

BEST OF LUCK!

Love J in B xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Yeah good luck. I would go but i have stupid stupid school in the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alternate DJ

i'll be there what timew does it start?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The following are the times each group will begin their presentation:

14:30 Zed FM

15:30 Phantom FM

Each presentation is 20 min followed by a 30 min Q&A session.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Best of luck
    I will definetly be there along with a few others... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Oh the best of luck. :)

I hope the lads are tucked up in bed, and getting up bright and early. You dont want to make a presentation as important as this if you were on the lash the night before!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Yes, best of luck indeed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

Very Best of Luck!
    Hopefully Justice will finally be done.

www.sundogs.irl.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

Good luck guys!!!
    x x x x x x x x x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

May the most alternative station win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

so who won?
    i bet red were wearing a wire...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Well, sorry I couldn't make it, but I hope it went brilliantly for ye. All the best, I've my fingers crossed,
    xxx me

We won't know that until after the BCI board meeting on the 8th November.

BUT...

The team couldn't have been stronger, they put their powerpoint to work in an alt rock way, made their points, fielded some nasty questions from the BCI.

Zed FM were strong though, too, but Phantom supporters did their team proud, I made a point of watching the BCI board while the audience where whooping and hollering, they were surprised with the enthusiasm.

Its novena time!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Shame I couldnt make it... stupid college.

Fingers, toes and genitals are all knotted and crossed... c'mon Phantom!

(and hurry...this hurts :D)

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I agree with you there DMC.

I felt that although both gave strong presentations, phantom may have edged that round of the overall bid for the license on the simple fact that they answered the questions put to them better than zed did.

Plus the cheap shots by zedfm! they were totally..... unprofessional for one thing! :rolleyes:

I've slept on it now, and here are my thoughst on the day... :)

I think that Zed FM's presentation did lack something. The mock video showed a mock news report of the "Minister for Transport, Ronan Keating" and it made me feel that they missed the mark, marketwise. It looked like Spin Mark 2. They also nearly went as far as saying "We wont sell out, Honest!"

As I didnt get to see the start of the Zed FM presentation, I felt that Phantom made more use of Paul McGuinness than Zed FM made of Bob Geldof. McGuinness was part of the presentation team, but I didnt see Bob get up (albeit I did miss the start of it)

Turning to Phantom, the BCI did home in on the shareholding of Wireless Media. Maybe they think this is a short coming? I feel that with the backing of Denis Desmond and Paul Mc Guinness this should outweigh any issues there. Station day-to-day running was also a line of questioning referred to by the BCI, but I felt Ger and Simon did well there. I also feel that the data Phantom gathered under the 2 temp licences couldve been used more to hammer home the point, maybe that is more than adequately covered in the written application anyway.

We also saw that the two organisations had different business plans, Phantom's being cheaper to run than Zed FM's. And that will be the crucial thing that the BCI will be looking for, and with Phantom seeking to run it at a lower cost, it has the advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭saintgaz

Did you see the state of Geldof on the front of the paper today? Imagine turning up for something that important and not even bothering to have a shave. The knacker! Zed FM? JustOuttaBed FM more like. They shouldn't give it to them for that alone. If you were invited round the girlfriend's place for high tea to meet the parents for the first time, would you turn up looking like that? Damn right you wouldn't. Any wonder his wife left him for an Australian.

* I don't mean 'knacker' in the sense of member of the travelling community - just its more usual usage these days.

OK, so we wont comment on Pete Vamos' dress sense then! :p:p :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Plus the cheap shots by zedfm! they were totally..... unprofessional for one thing! :rolleyes:

cheap shots? what do you mean?

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I noticed two on the part of the zed crew. One was by niall stokes, saying that they may recognise them by their application as "spook fm" a subtle bite at phantom fm I thought.

and also a female member of the board, I don't have her name to hand, commmented that they have acquired all their expertise and experience legally ( with a slight lean on the word 'legally', if you know what I mean ).

Just those two subtle hints summed up the general arrogance portrayed by the zedfm board members, and therefore the station. I was more than willing to lay of my natural bias as a phantom listener for as much as I could, which would be a lot as I approached yesterday as a fan of radio. But from the zedfm presentation, I didn't want to think that those people would be rewarded with a license for that presentation.

Other aspects should as their unsuccessful deflection of questions, which one can only pull off if one is very good at it, merely was annoying, and even the chairperson of the BCI commented that he wanted only one person to answer the questions asked, as answers given by dermot hanrahan and niall stokes conflicted on some occasions.

Phantom I think definately played mainly to its strong points. Wireless Media make up probably the most experienced alternative rock broadcasters in the country, and this I feel was conveyed during the presentations and questions. Personally I was very impressed with phantoms honesty throughout the entire proceeding, which contrasted the somewhat syntethic feel to zed. The research was strong, and well done to BrianD on presenting that data and answering those finnicky questions very well. Same goes for Pete and Ger on their confident answering of though questions to do with board/station structure, pete moreso conveying the stations passion, ger conveying that his a competant CEO. I have to say congrats to Mr.Vamos too, there was a long strech of inquisition into the programming plans the station put forward, but bless his canadian boots he shone. On the marketing side also, where 'black and white' financial type questions were asked, board representitives gave 'black and white' answers, sticking to the bare esstentials and not putting gloss where it is not needed.

To be fair I believe the zed bid has some strong points. The link to the FMC where there is a promise of so much unsigned artist's airplay. The links with hotpress also providing a strong point as since a sizeable portion of both stations bids goes on current affairs and entertainment news, the news gathering of hotpress would be utilised. Although it could also be said that this would go against the alternative feel somewhat, having the same news as hotpress for the most part. Also the commerical success that follows dermot hanrahan, for example fm104.

Sadly this isn't a mathematical equation and we can't compute a BCI decison. Depends on which points of the application the board pick up upon most I suppose, a strong marketing and financial strategy may be worth more than excellent programming etc. One thing is for certain though, this shall not go by the way side like the multicultural station proposed for dublin city. Especially after the BCI response to "the review of radio licensing in Ireland" document. They would want to show the continued strength of the body and show its divirsity.

Lets hope for Phantom.

Advertisement