Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bigley is killed

Options
  • 08-10-2004 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just seen it on Sky news. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah crap. Those pricks doing the executions really make by blood boil :mad: What are they getting from it? I'd love to catch them and saw their heads off myself, see how they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

Taken from Sky News Web-Site:

Ken Bigley has been killed by hostage-takers in Iraq, say official sources.

The 62-year-old from Liverpool was murdered despite pleas to the terrorists holding him to show mercy.

His family had begged Tony Blair to step in and attempt to secure his release.

Engineer Mr Bigley was abducted in Baghdad along with fellow construction workers Jack Hensley and Eugene Armstrong three weeks ago.

The Tawhid and Jihad terrorist group beheaded the two Americans within a week and their remains were found in the Iraqi capital.

Abu Musab al Zarqawi, who ranks as one of Washington's most wanted men, is believed to have killed at least one of the Americans.

Sky News

B8st8rds!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I blame Billy Connolly..

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The dirty murderers, damn their souls to hell. Poor, poor man.

• Advertisement

The English Government didn't do enough!!!

His brother Paul was on Newstalk earlier and had no idea that this was about to happen! He said that if Ken is killed, it will probably kill his poor mother!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

robo wrote:
    He said that if Ken is killed, it will probably kill his poor mother!!

Unfortunately I don't doubt that for a second.

Newstalk have said also that they have been in contact with his brother Paul, but he is shocked at the moment and not talking to any media.

There could have been so much more by the British government...why!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Very sad, but this has been predicted for weeks. The guys who held him are some of the most hardcore in Iraq.

They took him hostage to humiliate and belittle the the coalition forces and their leaders. They calculated that by playing it out, teasing his family with the possiblity of his release, and making impossible demands of Blair and Bush they could increase their humilitation, and the shock when they finally killed him as they have always planned.

These guys are cruel and savage but theyre not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Poor man
    is the is the first Irish man dead in the war?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Hes not irish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

While it is sad, I heard on the radio only 10 minutes ago that there is no offical source as of yet if he is or not.
    and the shock when they finally killed him as they have always planned.

Which makes you wonder why they released others then doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He is not the first 'Irishman' to die. A couple of contractors were killed and the Dublin soldier in the British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

robo wrote:
    Like what?

L5 wrote:
    Hes not irish

Having an Irish passport makes him Irish -no matter how you argue it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Which makes you wonder why they released others then doesn't it?

Like the two italian women held by a different kidnap-for-ransom group that had their ransom paid?

Has this Al-Zaqiri ( spelling all over the shop I know) bloke actually released anyone? I havent heard of it if he has and Id have imagined that would have been raised as a matter for hope if he had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

sliabh wrote:
    Like what?

Honestly...I dunno! But Tony Blair was mainly just quoted in the papers and media always talking to his family! Now how does that save his life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Yep...Sadam had a grip on this type of activity and Al Quida and its subsidiaries couldn't function in Iraq. It took a trailer trash US president and his neocon dumb ****ers to let terror reign. Just a note..any organisation who promotes or suckers up to these types here and in Europe should be dealt with under incitement to hatred and not tolerated...and they are here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

egan007 wrote:
    Having an Irish passport makes him Irish -no matter how you argue it

He was granted an irish passport in an emergency situation. He didnt apply for it, it was given to him. What about the Arabs who were given passports in return for investments, would you call them Irish?
    Legally yes , in the eyes of any normal person definitely not.

L5 wrote:
    He was granted an irish passport in an emergency situation. He didnt apply for it, it was given to him. What about the Arabs who were given passports in return for investments, would you call them Irish?
    Legally yes , in the eyes of any normal person definitely not.

Legally yes? How else are you irish?
    And how many of those Arabs had Irish Mothers?
    Somehow i don't think he was in any position to stand in a passport application queue...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

is he defo dead? is it official. thats brutal.

Really? What?

1) They were dealing with an extremist terrorist organisation that has killed hostages in the past with no notice or true grievence.
    2) Britain practices a policy of non-negotiation with Terrorists, that has been accepted in the past as being the right thing to do. Bigley being a British (or irish) citizen shouldn't have changed that.
    3) We don't know what the British government may have tried doing by use of Intelligence forces and military assets in Iraq to retrieve Bigley.

Thing is. Has nobody wondered if all this was put in motion by this Terrorist group just to stir up sympathy? To stir up media attention and just when its the most popular story, kill him? The other hostages that have been released never received as much media attention, and thats probably the reason why they were released.

This is a terror group, and they've gained an awful lot of publicity and will gain even more from just this one killing. I wouldn't be too suprised if they jump at the chance to kidnap another British Citizen to see if they get the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sand wrote:
    Like the two italian women held by a different kidnap-for-ransom group that had their ransom paid?

AFAIR the news reported last week that he was handed to that group from the group that was previously holding him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's a bad way to go out but I can't say I'm more sorry for him than for the thousands of human beings murdered by the US led coalition-of-evil since the start of the invasion.

Less so actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

It's sad if it's true.
    According to the BBC his death has yet to be confirmed - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3726744.stm

Currently the source is unreliable.

Also, weren't those two Italian women reported to have been killed before they were released.
    So all hope is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I agree with Pigman, as harsh as it sounds, but still a sad way for anyone to be killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

what has billy connolly got to do with it

Advertisement