Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bigley is killed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Come on, you're all letting emotions get in the way of fact. What could Tony Blair have possibly done to secure the mans release? If he'd given in to these hostage takers demands, there would be a swathe of kidnappings. Britain doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Why should they change their stance now? I know it looks like the British government practically sacrificed Ken Bigley but what else could they have done? And as someone else has said, we don't know what sort of intelligence work was going on in the background trying to find the kidnappers and save Bigley.

As for the guy who blames Billy Connolly - I don't know if you're trying to be funny or serious, either way your comment marks you out as as big a tw*t as Billy Connolly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

War crimes.

Farmers are murdered as they plough a field.
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/audiovideo/apachehit.mpg

Massacre of Civilians in Fallujah
    http://globalresearch.ca/images/Massacre%20of%20Civilians.wmv

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

AFAIR the news reported last week that he was handed to that group from the group that was previously holding him.

Yep, I remember those reports and for a while I thought I might have been wrong to have been so negative - But Al Zees representitives later denied he had been handed over to anyone though so that was that scotched.

If theres any hope here, its that Bigley has been reported as killed in error before. This may be the case again if Al Zee is just attempting to utilise the shock value of bigleys murder, without actually sacrificing the possibility of dragging out his death further.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Apaprently Abu-Dhabi TV have recieved the video...

From BBC: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3726744.stm)

The Abu Dhabi TV says it has received a video CD relating to Mr Bigley, according to BBC correspondent Jo Floto.

The station refused to say what was on it but said that they would air it at 1500 BST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭beer enigma

What was the guy doing in Iraq anyway ?? - I'm sure the financial rewards are great for those 'who dare', but the risk involved surely outweighs the monetary gain.

It would be dreadful news if the reports are correct, but I can't help feeling that any guy working over there at the moment is running the risk of being kidnapped which doesn't help anyone.

Like any animals...whilst there's still fresh food available, the terrorists will continue to hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Irish, English what the fu<k does it matter, he's just another name to add to the list, the difference is the media are milking his situation for all its worth something that the hostage takers want. And why the hell do they keep saying its AL Zarqawi thats doing these beheadings, do they have the ability to see thru balaclavas or something.

And it seems that they've released the video of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Sand wrote:
    These guys are cruel and savage but theyre not stupid.
    Unlike the Bush admin which is staffed with cruel, savage and stupid people.
    Sand wrote:
    Like the two italian women
    Their names are Simona Torretta and Simona Pari. What's particularly sad about this whole soap opera is that the audience cannot even be arsed to find out the names of any of the minor characters, the other hostages. Well if the drama is over, it's time to switch channel. "What's on Sky? Oh, The Match, deadly! Oooh! Cheerleaders with huge breasts!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

out of interest i just downloaded a beheading about a month ago. i have to say it was the most brutal disgusting barbaric thing i've ever saw in my life. i felt for the plight of these people. not any more. if they want to kill people why can't they use a bullet in the back of the head. felt physically sick. never seen anything like it. never want to again. don't look at these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

curiosity killed the cat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Carpo

bmarley wrote:
    out of interest i just downloaded a beheading about a month ago. i have to say it was the most brutal disgusting barbaric thing i've ever saw in my life.

This might seem like a silly question but what were you expecting? I never downloaded the video precisely because I new I wasnt going to like what I saw.
    i felt for the plight of these people. not any more.

Also, how are the actions of these people representative of Iraqi's who just oppose the the occupation? Or are you saying you originally felt for the plight of the kidnappers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

bmarley wrote:
    out of interest i just downloaded a beheading about a month ago. i have to say it was the most brutal disgusting barbaric thing i've ever saw in my life. i felt for the plight of these people. not any more. if they want to kill people why can't they use a bullet in the back of the head. felt physically sick. never seen anything like it. never want to again. don't look at these things.
    Because the point is to demoralise the opposition. The more slow and painful the murder, the more the opposition are afraid, and the more likely they'll be to leave.

In my opinion, caving to these people would have only resulted in more kidnappings. What would be the point in saving one man's life only for it to result in the loss of 5 more in time? I'm sure even the Bigley family wouldn't wish the last couple of months on any other families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It seems to me that serial killers hop on the bandwagon of any revolution or war and amuse themselves in their own sick way. Bigley was the victim of a serial killer. Whatever other killings are going on, however immoral they may be, he was kidnapped and murdered by people who like to kill. It's their fun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Fookin Bastards . They are bloody animals . But I think the US and UK governments could have done much more to get him released , with the amount of manpower and technology over there , They could have found him if they really wanted to ..It just thet he was not one of their priorities ..

As for thet Fool Connolly , I think he would be safer in Iraq at the moment .

Rant over ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

thats horrible news, feel the same way I felt when the first person (american) was beheaded. SICK. I think its true I've searched for this video and its on a P2P network. Not that I would ever dream of downloading this, it now seems like a ritual with these people.

Is this madness ever going to stop from both sides.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

eth0_ wrote:
    Britain doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Why should they change their stance now?

I think you will find that he has been speaking to Mr Adams and his croonies quite a bit .. certainly no angel's ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Is a shame alright, but is it really that much of a surprise?

The amount of time they spent holding him was odd, and I did start to think that perhaps they were going to let him go, and that perhaps the pressure was working (whichever aspect that may be of it), but in reality they're still the animals that killed the 2 Americans, so rationality doesnt really come into it

Saying that I still think the public outcry and the actions of whoever involved in the campaign was the right thing to do, rather than just sit back.

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

L5 wrote:
    He was granted an irish passport in an emergency situation. He didnt apply for it, it was given to him. What about the Arabs who were given passports in return for investments, would you call them Irish?
    Legally yes , in the eyes of any normal person definitely not.

I work in the department of foreign affairs. I can tell you that he was not *given* the passport; it was issued to him on the strength of his Irish citizenship. His mother was born in Dublin, so he was technically ans Irishman. He was also an Englishman. (Dual citizenship)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

eth0_ wrote:
    Come on, you're all letting emotions get in the way of fact. What could Tony Blair have possibly done to secure the mans release? If he'd given in to these hostage takers demands, there would be a swathe of kidnappings. Britain doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Why should they change their stance now? I know it looks like the British government practically sacrificed Ken Bigley but what else could they have done? And as someone else has said, we don't know what sort of intelligence work was going on in the background trying to find the kidnappers and save Bigley.

Exactly. The outcome was undoubted. There was no way that I could see these animals letting him go. They were getting to much publicity out of it. To kill him in the end, gave them more unforgettable publicity than letting him go. Apart from that they would have been seen as weak and not practising what they preach. With regard to the efforts made by any political parties, they can't given in to these people. Once you given in then I would imagine that more and more will happen because it will be seen as a way to bring"the infidels" to their knees.
    Someone got it right when they said, "why do these people go there. Surely the monetary value is not worth the risk?". The chance to make a quick buck appeals to a lot of people and there are those who are prepared to do more than others.

[QUOTE=ro_chez
    ]Irish, English what the fu<k does it matter[/QUOTE]

Another good point. I for one, wouldn't wish this on anybody, regardless of colour race or religion. He is another human being.

The time will come for these animals and not a moment to soon. It's about time people stopped going out there, but unfortunately I think that may be wishful thinking. Some people will do anything if the price is right.

God save their souls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Kleefar: "There was no way that I could see these animals letting him go."

Sharkman: "They are bloody animals ."

Flogen: "but in reality they're still the animals"

Just a short note to remind you all that these sick bastards are not animals and no animals in the wild do anything remotely like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I know its bad form to quote oneself to make a point -
    This issue has got me more angry than I usually get with anything/anyone.
    The merciless exploitation of this personal tragedy is astonishing. I can understand ther family clutching at any passing straws in the wind, but now we have the sight/sounds of Michal D Higgins "on a mission" which is essentially a fraud. You'd think he was in with Tawhid wal Jihad and could turn them round. He must know in all honesty that Kenneth Bigley is dead meat short of a truely unexpectd intervention and I'm thinking more SAS than Bertie Ahern on Al-Jezzera. The notion that making him an instant Paddy will be enough is an insult to the man and the rest of us. Not to mention the terrorists who hold him, they dont really care which passport he carries only that he is an "invader" and so can be kidnapped to exploit tensions both in the west and within Iraq. Which is the real matter at hand here. Iraq is at a crossroads will it become Afganistan 2 or not?

Abu Mussab Al Zarqawi has played the media perfectly and they've happilly played along - nothing suits 24 hr News like an extended crisis.

Kenneth Bigley is a veteran of the middle east so knew the risks he was taking for big money. He and his family have my thoughts and sympathy but I'm not going to pretend to myself that this will end any other way than the
    worst way.

But there you go.... :(

I wonder if Paul Bigley is going to stick by his comment that Blair has blood on his hands after the words of Kens brother Philip.

Mike.

At least Billy Connolly will be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

This is not all one sided. America and Britain are murdering people too. Two video clips were posted on this thread that show this. yes it's horrible, every murder is. Britain did it to us years ago, it's a part of the world we live in. Bush and Blair have started something that they will not be able to finish. If it wasn't ken bigley, it would be someone else. I feel sorry for him and his family. But nothing can be done in situations like this. You lot feel disgusted now, as do I, but we'll get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

At least Billy Connelly will be happy

Oh dear God :rolleyes:

Billy Connolly allegedly said that they should get on with it (ie kill him or release him) meaning we can be spared all this nonsense on the TV and in the media.

The reason I said allegedly is this
    STATEMENT REGARDING REPORTS OF REMARKS FALSELY ATTRIBUTED TO BILLY CONNOLLY ABOUT KEN BIGLEY

Billy Connolly is angry and disgusted by reports that he joked about Ken Bigley being harmed.

Billy's stage comments were restricted to pointing out the hypocrisy of some people including sections of the media faking concern about Mr Bigleys predicament while enjoying the drama of the tragedy and exploiting it for their own ends.

I totally agree with Billy Connolly on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

those people who killed him are F'ing animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

At least Billy Connolly will be happy

he's Scottish. Lots of Scottish people hate the English. Ken Bigley was English.

I'm sure there's a lot of Irish people that are happy tonight too - losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Oh dear God :rolleyes:

Billy Connolly allegedly said that they should get on with it (ie kill him or release him) meaning we can be spared all this nonsense on the TV and in the media.

The reason I said allegedly is this

I totally agree with Billy Connolly on this one

As someone who works in the business of making jokes, Mr. Connolly ought to be more careful about what he says - and phrase his comments less ambiguously. What he said could have, from what I've seen, been read in a few different ways. However, by saying they should "get on with it" - I have a distinct feeling that he was aiming for shock value rather than parodying the media; but this is merely my instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    he's Scottish. Lots of Scottish people hate the English. Ken Bigley was English.

I'm sure there's a lot of Irish people that are happy tonight too - losers.

Are you serious?

If you are, you need to get out more often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

no matter where the guy was from it's still a sad thing to happen to any person,, and in the end he did hold an Irish passport,

Advertisement