Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Chip and Pin Credit Cards

Options
  • 08-10-2004 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Anybody know when these will be launched/released?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Early next year (2005) according to
    http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/personal/credit_card/chip_pin.html

though later down it says "Bank of Ireland plan to start issuing (chip) cards later this year."

You could, of course, call them:
    For general credit card queries:

Card Services
    33/35 Nassau Street
    Dublin 2
    Tel: 1890 251 251
    01 6798433
    Fax: 01 679 5351
    E-mail:boics@boimail.com

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

National Irish Bank have already started issuing them - I got mine a short while ago. I think the real issue now is how quickly retailers can get the machines using chips into service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AIB (AFAIK) is to start issuing them in November

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

BuffyBot wrote:
    AIB (AFAIK) is to start issuing them in November
    I got one from AIB in August when my card was renewed. I think they'd been issueing them a while even at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I got my pin form from AIB today, it said, please peel back the tab at the bottom of page, only problem is, there was nothing to peel back, it was just a small bit of paper with nothing on it..
    Stupid, i rang them, theyre sending another one out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

Got one from aib in july had great fun with it in france. But they never saw them in the us or denmark - or ireland either- yet! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ur mentor wrote:
    Got one from aib in july had great fun with it in france. But they never saw them in the us or denmark - or ireland either- yet! :D

Did it work with the PIN in France ? Initial reports said it wouldn't which would make it very difficult to use - the French are used to swiping the card because ours obviously _don't_ have a chip but with the new ones having chips it would be hard to explain to them not to use it !

L5 wrote:
    I got my pin form from AIB today, it said, please peel back the tab at the bottom of page, only problem is, there was nothing to peel back, it was just a small bit of paper with nothing on it..
    Stupid, i rang them, theyre sending another one out

Those yokes from AIB are funny - you expect the pin to be on the tab you pulloff and its "dotted" on the "window" instead.. I imagine it would be hard for elderly /poorsighted people to make out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

tesco have the equipemnt for the chip and pin cards now

havent got mine yet, but a letter from AIB said its on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

About time they going to introduce chip and pin.
    I first used them about 6-7 years a go when i was living in holland. You could chip/pin in nearly every shop, very rare not to hve been able to, shop either had a pin or chip machine or both.
    No need for cash then either

Jozi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i think the biggest benefit/fraud reduction will be if restaurants get wirelas chip/pin card readers. ie. you enter your card & pin while sitting at the desk so joe waiter cant run out the back and copy your card number & expiry date

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

So it cant be swiped at all anymore?
    I am in the US, just received my aib one, i was wondering why my current card was refused online recently.
    I mainly use it for online purchases anyway.

They can still be swiped. Most place sstill use swipe readers. Just back from France and it was handy being able to use the chip part.. no more handing over passports for ID

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

I rang Tesco Visa 4 weeks ago and they said they would replace my card with chip/pin version - 1 week later a PIN code arrived and then nothing....I rang them this evening and apparently I was given duff info - spoke with the supervisor there who said they had 'no idea' when Irish chip / pin Visa cards would be issued - although they have started issuing them for the UK customers.

Advertisement