Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperatures? Am I frying??

Options
  • 08-10-2004 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Just built myself a P4 Prescott on Abit IS7 in Antec 350W Smartpower case. The AbitEQ monitor of hardware says that my processor temp is idling at 47 and goes up to 54 during full load while my power supply temp is 47 when working heavy. The RPM of my sysfan (the psu fan is connected to this indicator) shows rpm of about 800 usually while only goes up to 1100 when at high temp. Is this all correct? And does the ABITEQ actually monitor thinks correctly?
    Just worried that I might be doing some damage.
    Posted this in Computers this morning but told the experts were in tweaking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Yeah 47 is slightly high for idling temps....it would normally be in or around the 36 - 42 temp range

But TBH 54 full load doesnt sound too bad. Chance's are that you wont frie a pentium 4 proccessor because of a high temp anyway because it has built in thermal shut down(providing you dont over clock or muck around with voltage settings.)

Check to make sure your heatsink is correctly seated.

Also some times if you have too much thermal paste on the processor this too can cause high temps.

Lastly try swapping you heatsink with someones elses -

I think the temp monitor programs tend to be a bit mad sometimes as regards there readings, i'd always check in the bios to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The paste was the standard stuff on it. The temp does stay fairly constant and I'd say the programme is reading some queer stuff. What is worrying me is how low the antec fan runs and the temperature that it gets up to. Is there any other good motherboard monitors to compare temps?
    I have a 120mm fan just behind the processor out of the case anyways to keep the case cool, the system temp is usually about 30. Maybe the monitor is reading too high a temp as the bios was reading it about 42

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

47 isn't that high for a Prescott idle temp depending on your cooling which you didn't mention.

How are you measuring load temp? The only way i'd measure load is to use prime 95 torture test for about 10-15 mins while monitoring temps with either abit eq or motherboard montor 5. Both read from the bios.

The prescotts are safe up to 70c but i'd recomend keeping them under 60c. It is impossible to fry a P4 from heat anyway. The only way you can fry them is by pumping too much voltage into them and damaging the gates.

Btw it's worth mentioning that a common problem with abit motherboards on Intel systems is that they over-read temps by 8-14c. This has been admitted by abit themselves and has not been fixed with in the latest BIOS. I would take the lowest value of 8c to be safe and minus that from your temp to get your real temp. I think your load temps are wrong though. Download prime95 and run the second torture test to really stress your cpu.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

fine for stock speeds and nothing to worry about - not good for overclocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

47 'C idle is ok i guess.. same like mine... mine never goes to 60'C :)
    my case temperature is a bit warm when playing games... :eek:
    it goes normal 40 to 45'C... but CPU remains "cool" :p

see my spec...

Boxed Intel P4 Prescott 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB / Intel stocked HSF
    MSI 865PE Neo2-PFISR / Corsair TWINX512-3200C2 DDR-DIMM 512MB
    SATA 160GB Samsung SP1614C 8MB / 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
    Plextor DVD recorder PX-712A / Samsung SyncMaster 793DF 17"
    Antec SLK2650BQE Thermally Advantaged Chassis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I am getting crazy temperatures in my P4 (2.8) when I look at it in the BIOS!!!! I can't believe what I've just read here! I am way over the normal operating temperature I guess then!

I have another heatsink here, I will swap it and see what happens. I tried thermal paste before, but it only dropped maybe 3 or 4 degrees. There is plenty of circulation, and I have 2 fans blowing in (i case, other case on hardrives), and one at the top above power supply blowing out.

:(

Seanie.

After changing the heatsink, I have left it idle in the BIOS, and it has levelled out at 61 degrees. In there, I see a marked line saying *Active Temperature 70 degrees C/158 degrees F.

The following are also present:

CPU Core Voltage: 1.48V
    DDR Voltage: 2.56V
    DDR VTT Voltage: 1.26V
    AGP: 1.52V

The CPU fan averages at 2812RPM, and sounds fine.

I don't know if the chip is a Northwood or a Prescott. How would I tell, without having the packaging?

Seanie.

I have just installed the Hardware Doctore that was on the Abit CD-ROM. In it, it shows me that my CPU is at 41/42 degrees C. So, which figure do I rely on? BIOS or H/W Doctor?

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

You should check on Abit website or its users forum site. There should be at least some kind of info about which BIOS version shows the most reliable reading. After all, difference BIOS could have different approach of dealing with temp reading, for various motherboards and cpus. I might be wrong thou.

thanks mart_max, I may look that one up...

Seanie.

• Advertisement

I have just installed the Hardware Doctore that was on the Abit CD-ROM. In it, it shows me that my CPU is at 41/42 degrees C. So, which figure do I rely on? BIOS or H/W Doctor?

This program will take it's reading from the BIOS also. Reading your temps from BIOS does not give you an idle temp, the cpu is actually under load while you are in the BIOS. The only way to get semi accurate temp readings is to download prime 95 and mother board monitor 5 or a similar program like the one you have. You have already tested your idle temp now you need to test your load temp. Run the second torture test on prime 95. The one for maximum heat for about 15 mins and monitor you cpu temp to get your load temp.

BloodBath

Thanks bloodbath!

No problem, it probably won't be much different from the temp you were reading in the BIOS.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Snap - I have the same case, prescott 3.0, and IS7-E2 (Proc stepping C0)

I've had idle temps of 39C solidly and at load 45-49C, I don't have the FanEQ enabled (it controls the speed of SYS/CPU fan as appropriate to temp) so the Case fan runs around 1200rpm which is fine. CPU runs at around 2500rpm. I have checked these with a few utils (altho' not Prime95 as yet)

My room is cool normally so this helps. [DUH]Make sure you have plenty of room around the air intakes and outakes[/DUH] Disable the FanEQ and let the system idle for a while to see if it has much of an effect on temps.

Just to clarify your SYSFAN should be connected to the large 120mm fan at the back of the case and will read RPM for this, the PSU has its own fan and no RPM reading is available for this. The system fan will run at a max of 1200RPM according to Antec.

I've had idle temps of 39C solidly and at load 45-49C, I don't have the FanEQ enabled (it controls the speed of SYS/CPU fan as appropriate to temp) so the Case fan runs around 1200rpm which is fine. CPU runs at around 2500rpm. I have checked these with a few utils (altho' not Prime95 as yet)

What mobo have you got? Those temps are very low for a C0 stepping Prescott. They are not right. Run the second torture test is Prime 95 to get an accurate idea of your load temp.

I have a feeling you have an Asus board judging by your temps.

BloodBath

Mobo: Abit IS7-E2

The stepping C0 reported by CPU-ID /CPU-Z (tho I originally thought it was D0 as I queryed the model on the Intel web-site) is it possible it is being reported incorrectly?

Temps reported by: AbitEQ / BIOS, SiSoft Sandra, PC Wizard
    Loads generated by Sandra, Far Cry.

Will give Prime95 a go at some stage.... have been meaning to do so for some time.

TBH Prime 95 is the only way i'd test load temps. The c0 steppings are normally about 45c idle and 60c load on most heatsinks except high end ones.

Abit mobo's have a reputation for over-reading temps by 8-12c but I doubt that is the case with yours as your temps are already very low. That's why I thought you had an Asus board. A lot of the models under-read temps.

If your temps really are that low, count yourself lucky and overclock the crap out of it. Your safe to at least 60c load.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

You'r lucky,

I just purchased a 3.0ghz E preschott off komplett with abit mobo and 512 mb ram, i have a dvd drive, and 5 harddrives hanging off it, 550 watt psu, i am gettingcpu temps of 60 degrees centegrade ticking over, and up to 86 degree centegrade at 100% processor usage, while case only shows 20-30 degrees centegrade atx case with 2 80cm fans, standard intel fan on cpu.

Looking for a new cpu fan

aubhall wrote:
    am gettingcpu temps of 60 degrees centegrade ticking over, and up to 86 degree centegrade at 100% processor usage, while case only shows 20-30 degrees centegrade atx case with 2 80cm fans, standard intel fan on cpu.

Man that is TOO hot, is your HSF seated properly, I had hassle initially with the ABIT mobo / clips and temps got as hot as 60C. (At which point my MOBO shut me down) I rechecked the seating and it wasn't right, when corrected the temps dropped straight away.

Also make sure the air flow is effecient / going the right way with those fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

Man that is TOO hot, is your HSF seated properly, I had hassle initially with the ABIT mobo / clips and temps got as hot as 60C. (At which point my MOBO shut me down) I rechecked the seating and it wasn't right, when corrected the temps dropped straight away.

Also make sure the air flow is effecient / going the right way with those fans.
    `

Have already done that as it was intially ticking over at 85 all the time, making progress but slow progress.

• Advertisement
Advertisement