Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

After ringing loads of insurance, but none will quote me

Options
  • 08-10-2004 3:19pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm 20 and got a prov licience
    After ringing nearly ever insurance company in the phone book, and none of them will quote me, they say they don't cover up that High
    I am trying to get insurance on a toyota corrolla 1.8 gti 3 door
    Getting "their list doesn't go that high"
    and "only 25+ can be quoted on them"
    have a prov licience, and money isn't the problem here I have loads of income.
    Now I've rang more than 5 companys and goten refused, so I can get a letter off the first one(being quinn) and whats the address to send it to the obudanceman(sp)
    thanks for your help,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

Is it your own car or your parents' car? If it's your own, I recommend selling it and getting a small car. You'll find it easier learning to drive on a small car anyway. You could move to a big car then after you pass your test and stuff.

If it's your parents' car, try getting put down as named driver. Tell them you'll only be driving 20 miles a week as you're just practicing for your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

you get back on to the first company and tell then you've been refused by 5 companies and let them know you're aware that they have to qoute you, even if it's an outrageous price.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Its my own car and will be on my own policy
    should have said that..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

20, Prov licence & GTI do not go together as far as insurance companies are concerned. I doubt you will get insured at all. They are quite within their rights to refuse you. Get a smaller car and stop wanting to funk money at insurance companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

If they refuse to quote then request / demand proof of same in written form(they are obliged to provide this if they refuse to quote). Get three of these and then find out who is generally the cheapest in the market and request a quote from them citing three refusals and they must quote you. AFAIK this is still current in the insurance companies regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Moneys not a problem at 20? What do you do? Any jobs for me? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

did you not think about this before you bought a 1.8? *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

A 1.8 GTi is probably a step backwards for a 20 year old Tallaght scumbag :D

If memory serves, you need three letters of refusal before you can approach the ombudsman. The ombudsman then gets you a quote but be warned, they are only obliged to find you an insurer, not necessarily an affordable one.

I have heard that once you start asking the insurance companies to put in writing that they won't insure you, you get beyond the phone jockeys and a manager or underwriter will make up a quote designed to scare you off so they are not refusing to insure/quote you and spares them a rollicking from the ombudsman.

The above may be totally out of date by the time you read it. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lenny I'd be a good boring boy and put the car off the road until you have a full licence, as money is'nt an issue you can get a decent "shopping trolley" in the meantime.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

If money wasnt an issue, hibernian would insure me last year (age 21, prov) (oh and thru a broker based in donegal - cant remember their name) for €8,500 tpft on a 1.6 integra, which i now drive as a named driver for a lot less, but still a ripp off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Why on earth haven't you guys got a full licence by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Your 20 and on a provisional, so your only learning to drive i take it?

One way is to go through the ombudsmann but another, cheaper way is to just insure your mums/dads car and get them to insure yours, then drive away under third party extension. So if its robbed or that it'll be covered comprehensive but if you crash it your only TP, still though you'll probably save the price of a small country.

Farlz

btw do your test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Why on earth haven't you guys got a full licence by now?

And on such a powerful car for your age (with a provisional). You're a bit of an idiot to not understand the steroetyped catagory you fall into Lenny!

I mean c'mon, the statistics for your age group on those kind of vehicles doesn't bolster your chances of getting a good quote, if any!

Think before you jump!

:rolleyes:

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The only way you're going to get an actual quote (not one designed to scare you away) for that car at your age is to get a Full License and possibly an do an advanced driving course. Even then at 20 you'll still be in a maximum risk category and they'll probably be looking for over €3000 for a 1.0 let alone a 1.8 GTI. At your age simply having the three letters G T I in the model name is probably worth a €1000 extra loading.

From oasis.gov.ie:

"Individual insurers have the right to refuse you cover, but they must provide you with a reason for the refusal should you ask for one. However, even though you have been refused cover, you are entitled to go to the Declined Cases Committee of the Irish Insurance Federation who will obtain an insurance quotation for you. In order for the Committee to consider your case you must first have sought and been refused quotations in writing from at least three insurers. (See 'Further information' below)."

As the guys mention above, if you are persistant in seeking a quote they will ultimately just ask for a rediculous amount, possibly even greater than the value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

My suggestion is to find out what kind of car you actually have. It's hardly any wonder the insurance companies say they don't have it listed when you're description of it is wrong. To the best of my knowledge, toyota have never badged a 1.8 corrolla as a GTI. In the late 80's / early 90's there was a GTi and in the 80's a GT Twincam but they were both 1.6's. The current model has a 1.8vvti sport but not a GTI. The GTI badge was probably just superglued on by the last owner, you can pretend to your mates that it's a real badge but it's not. When talking to insurance companies, give them the boring description that's on the registration certificate / logbook depending on age. I've heard of people telling fibs to their insurance company that their car wasn't a 'performance' model to bring their insurance down, but I've this is the first time I've heard of somebody getting a quote refused because they claimed it was a gti when it wasn't :D

Advertisement