Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible new terminus for maynooth buses

• 08-10-2004 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I know ppl on the site were complaining about the new terminus on pearse st for the 6x buses. I was there this morning and there was a group of dublin bus management and drivers looking at the problem. One of the ways of solving the problem of rush hour traffic on Westmoreland St. was :

The 37, 38 and 39 presently go from Hawkin's St (beside the screen cinema). This is a 1-way st. from the quays to trinity. They suggested moving maynooth buses over there and changing the direction of the 1-way traffic !Apparently it was like this before). This would mean that the buses would start on Hawkin's St, turn left onto the quays and go on about their business, therefore avoiding westmoreland st.

The 37 38 and 39 would start opposite pearse st garda station (where maynooth buses are now) and go up westmoreland st, as they go up O'Connell St. This would stop them having to wait for the traffic lights to change to swing across all the traffic on pearse st. which they do at the moment.

I was surprised when I heard all this cause it seems like it makes so much sense.... maybe I'm missing something?!? Of course you know how things happen, they could scrap this plan or it could take months to implement, just thought some of you might be interested :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I vote to leave it as it is. There be a shelter there, its near the city centre, and its near a good pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The 37, 39 and 70 go via Dame St. avoiding the Westmoreland St snarl up.

The only downside to reversing the Hawkins St stops is that the pavement is narrow and there are no shelters on the other side.

They could use Burgh Quay if the oinkers hadn't nicked the space.

IMO the best thing would be to go back to using Abbey St and share the outbound Luas as far as Capel Street but the RPA muppets won't have any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

I haven't been up to the stop at Pearse Street cos it stops in Westmoreland St so I haven't needed to.

Anywhere is better than where it was all summer though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I think the current terminus for the west dublin services (25/66/67) is fine where it is & beats the pants off it's previous placements on wellington & wood quay, which were both disasters - not to mention very inconvenient. They should leave well enough alone...

::: ven0mous :::

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I agree that it should stay where it is. it's so handy for me cause I just walk down grafton st and I'm practically there. Moving it to Hawkin's St is much of a muchness though except it's not as populated and not opposite a garda station (slight drawbacks when I'm going home after dark with a laptop).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The 66 and 67 termini (thats plural isn't it?) are now at the top of Pearse Street- along the wall of Trinity College. They turn right on College Green onto Westmoreland Street- and then stop outside the latenight pharmacy as their first stop.

It does make a pleasant change- if a tad confusing, queuing next to all the Rathmines buses and stuff.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Thank God they changed it from on front of the corporation buildings. Even where the stop was before that was out of the way. Walked down there the other day, didn't know the bus had moved.
    Some crazy man was on the 66 when I got on, was pissed out of his head. He was singing and reciting a play non-stop the whole way to Lucan! Of course I got some video of it on my phone. Might put it up if I get a chance, its funny as hell. :D

Advertisement