Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was the worst gift you ever recieved ?

• 08-10-2004 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭

.....i got the idea from the Dear Santa thread.

Mine would be a Lunchbox ........And it was for Christmas :/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

A Kite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

A Barbara Taylor Bradford Book.....Y U C K!!!

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

a jumper that i hated. of course the whole pretending to like it was done to avoid hurt feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

A glass of water and a carrot !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

A book :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

lynx can and shampoo set.

"Oh great! I wont have to buy another can of deodrant for agessss now ! thanks"

fs

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Mear, I think someone may have been trying to tell you something :p

I have never received a badgift, I think all gifts are great and am thankful to get them.
    That being said, I got what I thought would be a cool game for my gameboy sp on my B-Day, the Van Helsing game, and it sucks. But it was still a cool gift. ;)
    It is always the thought that counts anyway, isnt it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

My brother once gave me a roll of toilet paper for Christmas. I wasn't impressed. Of course, now that I'm living on my own and having to buy the stuff myself, I suppose in retrospect it was a kind thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sarky wrote:
    My brother once gave me a roll of toilet paper for Christmas
    That's right up there with Harry Potter's coat hanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

at christmas one time, my rich step granny (now dead, bless her) produced a huge box and said: 'i know you like computers so...'

i was so suprised, i thought this was a megadrive/nintendo and thought all my hopes and prayers had been answered.

it was an abacus. my 10 year old face face must have been a study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ah rich grannies...

This year, mine told me she was going halves with one of my aunts (My godmother) Said aunt shows up on my (19th) birthday and tells me she doesn't have it with her, but will bring it the next week. Okaaaaaaaaay...

Next week, aunt arrives and tells me... God I love this... I can go to the cinema. Except that she didn't have the cash with her, so she'd pay me afterwards.

So, essentially, my aunt and granny between them, to celebrate my last year of teenagerdom, got me permission to go to the cinema. I was a 19 year old Esat project administrator living in Dublin, and I was going to the pictures folks...

She never did pay me.

They hardly got rich by buying everyone expensive presents now, did they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Or cinema tickets for that matter.

Worst present I got, probably pyjamas from my granny.
    Didn't really have a problem with pyjamas but they didn't even come close to fitting me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Bath bombs.

They are bloody useless. All they do is make your bathwater a different colour, smell gack and sometimes make it glittery. Then, sometimes, you get into said bath and can feel grit (undissolved bomb granules) on the bottom of the bath. Gah!

PLUS they leave a horrible scum on the bath that you have to clean off, and you always find that a spot has been missed on the bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

My rich aunt brought us all kinder eggs.......last year!

We are all over 23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldn't mind if the chocolate was good but I hate kinder chocolate...the hippos inside were fun though! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My sister got a book one christmas
    It was for someone a good bit younger.

The following year she got another book from the same person.
    It was the same book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

When I was ten I was given a bendy giraffe toy at Easter instead of an Easter egg. I was fuming- all I wanted was chocolate! I have to say that I did have fun messing with the giraffe some years later though!

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

a doll's house (I asked for a garage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

One year I got the bottle of Brut that was doing the rounds in the extended family for years. Of course not one to break tradition I gave it to one of my cousins for Christmas the next year. I wonder if its still doing the rounds...........................

:D

Actually- something I totally forgot.
    For my 11th birthday (in 1985) I received three pressies that were exactly the same, 3 calculators- from parents, godfather and aunty.
    I should state that in 1985 calculators were not exactly the everyday items that they now are- so it was a nice present to have- but three of them? No, none of them were of the paper-roll varieties :)

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

a fcuking E15 bag after i'd bought her 275E jewellery... should have seen the smoke coming out!!! santa where art thou..?

Santa died in '94. His bullet-riddled corpse was found floating by a New Orleans Bordello-on-a-boat. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

sceptre wrote:
    That's right up there with Harry Potter's coat hanger.

I actually did get a coat hanger for my birthday once. Actually a set of hand decorated coat hangers from my granny. She seemed to think I wasn't impressed with my present. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know a guy who was rudely awakened early one morning near chrismas when he was trying to get a lie in by his da and hustled down to open the present that was posted to him. He was so tired he didn't know what was going on. But his da coped on straight away when the parcel arrived. So the guy opens the anynomous present.
    It was a red brick.

(worth every penny of postage)

Sarky wrote:
    Santa died in '94. His bullet-riddled corpse was found floating by a New Orleans Bordello-on-a-boat. Sorry.

I most certainly did not. I've never been in a bordello in my life !

In that case, where's my damn puppy, you bastard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

A little plastic bottle of Brút. Like a sampler. Also 3 soaps shaped like golf balls. Myself and my brother both got the exact same thing, and unwrapped it at the exact same time as each other. We both were very drunk and laughed our asses off for about 5 minutes.

Our Aunt who gave them to us wasn't impressed, seeing as she was sitting there beside us!

Sarky wrote:
    In that case, where's my damn puppy, you bastard?

I'm sorry Sarky but the elf pet evaluation comittee didn't find you suitable to take care of a puppy!
    A puppy's not just for christmas you know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Penfolds

A puppy's not just for christmas you know !

Exactly, with the right inventive recipes one could last you all the way to new years :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I once received a nail brush from an Aunt,I have to say I was'nt impressed and it showed I mite add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

one of my friends got his girlfirend stickers and lip-gloss for their 3 year anniversary. like stuff for kids... came to about 9 euro.

she got him a 300e chain and a football signed by the irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

banquo wrote:
    one of my friends got his girlfirend stickers and lip-gloss for their 3 year anniversary. like stuff for kids... came to about 9 euro.

she got him a 300e chain and a football signed by the irish team.
    now, i know how she felt... take a plier and pull the nails one by one....* smiling* ofcourse like when yu got the damn thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

i think tis the stickers that really make it what it is. i mean he just clearly put absolutly no thought into it whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

A bunch of pc games from my uncle. All of them from the days before graphics cards. (this was only last year). Altho I didn't mind cos A: he picked em up for a coupla quid in typical oh this cover looks good and B: He is responsible for 2 of my best christmas's when I was younger, one involving a snes the other an n64.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

An electric toothbrush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

My birthday is the same week as Christmas, so my grandparents were bad with giving me a combination present (usually the same type of present the other kids got, but acted as both birthday and Christmas ) :( Plus my twin sister and I always got the same thing so we would sit back to back when we opened our presents so we could be surprised.
    But the funniest time was when my grandmother (who had recently closed a small gift shop that she owned) gave my sister and I this HUGE box for our birthday that she dropped off at Christmas but we were told to wait until our birthday to open. We were about age 10 and SOOOO excited for what could be in this huge box, and made all sorts of ideas in our head about what it might be. So our birthday finally came and we hurried to open this wonderous present........and you should have seen our faces when we found a box full of odds and ends left over from our grandmother's shop, that she hadn't been able to sell!!! :eek:
    It makes me burst out laughing to think of it now, but at the time I have to admit it was a little disappointing.

Pink Bunny wrote:
    my twin sister and I

Twins you say....Hmmmm
    (I may be a kindly omnipotent saint, but I'm still a man you know!!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Last Christmas, got a copy of The Sims Bustin' Out for PS2 from my granny.
    I both hate the Sims with a passion and don't own a PS2.
    Though it got swopped for the wonderful Viewtiful Joe so all was well...

When I was younger, it was all the little dresses my godfather used to buy me for my birthday. All really flowery and frilly, exactly what I hated! I never wore any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

On my 21st birthday my brother gave me a Barbie and Ken gift set.

They were dressed up as Mulder and Scully...

It wasn't even as if I was a big X-files fan (or Barbie fan for that matter)

At least I've kept it mint in the box all these years and it may be worth something some day...

Red Alert wrote:
    An electric toothbrush.

Ah yes, the electric toothbrush.
    Got one from my parents three years ago, a Braun one.
    Its still sitting on the window sil in the bathroom, unopened....

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

The Clap

Havelock wrote:
    The Clap

It's the thought that counts... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cute_Button

An IOU for car driving lessons.
    I hate IOUs- I can never bring myself to try to collect on them.

Jen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My folks always buy me awful t shirts.

Worst pressies ever was my ex. I should have seen the writing on the wall. For xmas, it was just chocolate, some childs game and a book.

Worst ever though was a Glasgow Celtic clock a buddy got me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Worst present I got was a Take That cd from my (normally very cool) auntie when I was about 8. Even at that tender age, I hated them with a passion. :D

Advertisement